@&$#% punk backed into my 05 Elise tonight!!! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 10Likes
  • 2 Post By 4380r
  • 1 Post By khamai
  • 2 Post By Roundabout
  • 4 Post By CMP
  • 1 Post By Roundabout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

@&$#% punk backed into my 05 Elise tonight!!!

I was stopped at a traffic light around 9:30 tonight when some kid in a Toyota Corolla in front of me decides to put his car in reverse and back up. I leaned on the horn but he keep going and hit me. He claims he didn’t see me. Has anyone recovered from this much damage and what can I expect? Many thanks, all.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:51 AM

I can be fixed, might get pricey if the crash structure is damaged.

I would personally try to make it so they don't total it

Waht is it with people backing up in the street..........
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-Lise View Post
I was stopped at a traffic light around 9:30 tonight when some kid in a Toyota Corolla in front of me decides to put his car in reverse and back up. I leaned on the horn but he keep going and hit me. He claims he didn’t see me. Has anyone recovered from this much damage and what can I expect? Many thanks, all.
Ouch. On the plus side, while the clam is off, you can install a better horn.
NumberSix and Jetblast like this.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 08:38 AM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4380r View Post
Whatever do you mean???

um.

Note to new Elise & Exige Owners:

1. These cars have large (i.e. dangerous) blind spots. Multivex mirrors are NLA, but RLS (Really Light Stuff) offers very good tape-on replacements.

2. The horns are way too weak (quiet). There’s an inverse relationship: smaller the car, louder the horn needs to be.

Get something such as a Stebel Nautilus.

Stock: “Excuse me”

Stebel: “HONK! LOOK OUT!”

Remove the stock horn; replace with louder.

(I drive with my finger on the horn button in any traffic. Iffy situations, my headlights are on.

Stay to the left of traffic, i.e. avoid passing on the right if you can.

Stop way behind trucks, SUVs, etc. Some have blindspots >50’. )

3. The early cars came with misaimed and dim headlights. If you drive at night, convert to HIDs. While better than stock halogen bulbs are available, HIDs throw more light. Stay around 5000k. As of this writing LEDs are not as good.

4. Ensure your car has had the work required by the recall for oil line fittings done. You could lose an engine and/or spin in your own oil.

5. Transmission:

The best transmission lube I’ve found is Redline MT-90 plus a little Power Punch Extreme Gear Oil Additive. (Note that it takes two changes to get rid of the previous lube.)

a) Early cars have wobbly shift towers. Look up Stan’s Mod (bolt and spacer; http://www.billswebspace.com/ShifterReinforcement.pdf) and

And, use:
Re-Enforcer long thru bolts that terminate under car and tie down the tower:
https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/re-...y=Transmission

These (lube, mods) make a huge change in shifting.

6. As per some engine builders on these sites, wait AT LEAST 20 minutes after coolant has reached full operating temp before engaging cam switchover.

For street cars, consider removing one or both oil coolers. Some cover them. Oil doesn’t get hot enough on street, leading to cam wiping.

7. Rear toe-links can loosen and break with disastrous results. You can check tq periodically, or use Nordlock washers. Best is conversion to better engineered brace, such as BOE’s InoKinetic’s for two examples.
8. While under the car with panel off, look around for hoses and wires chafing their way to failure. That’s how this was found:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f31...-u-tube-47232/

9. The stock radiators are prone to leaking where the end caps meet the metal part. Keep an eye on this. Most of us use single-pass all-aluminum radiators.

10. When your wheel well liner comes loose, skip the lame plastic rivet and use Well-Nuts instead.

11. Life will be better if you disable the auto-arming alarm function on the earlier cars. You won’t have to press a button to start the car. Instructions:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f32...ramming-70940/

12. These cars cannot be left off a Battery Tender for weeks at a time. Unless dead batteries are a particular joy of yours. Buy one right away. There are numerous threads here about which ppl use and like.

You NEED a digital multimeter (voltmeter) to work on modern cars. Handy around house too. Get one this week.

13, Some on this site are a bit obsessed with hockey pucks for lifting the car. Don’t use these. Too hard and slippery, generally, and too small a surface area. Use a piece of wood, as your hero does.

14. Visit the Uber Thread

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/...ow-here-25131/

15. Most parts on the car are made by Toyota and others, so buying things like a/c compressors, engine parts, etc. is wildly expensive when purchased thru Lotus.
Toyota dealers, auto parts stores are way less expensive.

16. The soft high-grip tires on most of our cars lose much of that grip when temperatures drop below 50 F. I know of too many ppl who spun their cars when not remembering this. I use hi-performance all-seasons.

Note that many summer tires cannot even be stored in temps below 20 F.

-----

Plus, “How to bleed brakes”:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...brakes-241138/

How to Search:

For future reference: Don't use the search on this site. Simply use Google and end the search text with "site:lotustalk.com". E.g.
Transmission Fluid change what bolt site:lotustalk.com no space betw site:lotustalk.com

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:08 AM
Race & Pamper

Clam can be repaired by a proper fiberglass expert.

Will send you referral to the best shop around.

Last edited by Kubera; 09-16-2019 at 09:14 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4380r View Post
and fix/improve the HVAC... I have no idea what the solution is for this level of idiocy, but it's obviously a problem. Just in the last year several elige owners have reported morons backing into their cars despite honking horns and flashing lights. Good luck with the insurance. And for the record, "I didn't see him" is an admission that he was not aware of his surroundings.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:34 AM

I wouldn't anticipate any issues with the other driver being at fault. May as well consider the radiator if it is stock. I'm planning to put in a pro alloy from BOE this winter.

1974 Europa Twin Cam (gone but not forgotten)
1971 Europa S2 (owned but two months; flipped to raise funds to fill gap in college tuition)
35 years of restraint (including an Odyssey with 13 cupholders)
2005 Elise (magnetic blue), starshield, chin guards, Penske nonajustable shocks (BWR), Mishimoto sandwich plate, AEM oil temp and pressure gauges, third brake light flasher, Larini Group B silencer, Sector 111 DSBrace
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:59 AM

I would add to the list of "DOs".

Avoid placing your Elise/Exige in a position where it can't be seen by the other driver(s). At stop lights ALWAYS make sure you can be seen by the other driver in their mirror(s). For example, don't pull up so close behind a pick-up truck that you can't see the driver's eyes in at least 2 of their mirrors. This may mean stopping further behind than usual and off to one side.

Kiyoshi

P.S. This is a clam replacement. Hopefully no damage to the crash structure (which would mean a write-off).
mattjk likes this.

Lotus events in California - www.gglotus.org

Last edited by khamai; 09-16-2019 at 02:44 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:33 PM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelypip View Post
and fix/improve the HVAC... I have no idea what the solution is for this level of idiocy, but it's obviously a problem. Just in the last year several elige owners have reported morons backing into their cars despite honking horns and flashing lights. Good luck with the insurance. And for the record, "I didn't see him" is an admission that he was not aware of his surroundings.
Weirdly, I don't remember seeing anyone back up in traffic in my NJ/NY/PA area.

But, no one doesn't hear my horn.

(Khamai has great info in his post.)

Flashing lights: no value if person doesn't look or see you.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:52 PM

In Toronto, I often see people back up at intersections. They pull into the intersection or across a crosswalk and then the light turns red and they back up.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:46 PM
glb

As my "Notes" say, I drive with my finger on the horn buttons.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 05:06 PM

So sorry to see this happen to you, I know the feeling

In 2009, my Lotus was hit by an airport shuttle driver, taking out my clam and crash structure. No fault of mine.

There was no chassis damage only the carbon fiber crash structure and fiberglass clam and radiator.

That said I took it to an authorized dealer repair facility, it took 6 weeks to repair (mostly due to the availability of a replacement clam and the crash structure from the factory) The total bill was $28K.

Since it's the other drivers fault (and I assume they have insurance) you'll likely get push back on their insurance, however they shouldn't total - and at least in the state of California, they are responsible for putting the car back into usable form or finding you a replacement. You or your repair facility will find this the biggest stumbling block these days as the factory doesn't build these in any regularity for the last 5 years or so. There are several sources for rebuilt/refurbished clams, not too sure on the crash structure... Text me if you need links for sources.

They may ask you not to use authorized repair facility, however I would recommend holding tough on this. If for some reason they balk at the repair cost through authorized repair, then make sure they suggest and guarantee the work for alternative.

I've only had one insurance company (in roughly 5 incidents) not work with me to get it repaired at the facility of my choice.

I wish you luck. You should consider putting an Aluminum radiator if you haven't already - to replace the lousy original equipment that tends to rust and crack.

Good luck feel free to reach out if you need any further advice.

2005 Lotus Elise, Sport & Tour
1964 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:02 AM

A young lady in a Camry somehow accidentally shifted her automatic into reverse and floored the throttle and hit the front of my car. There was a guy standing on the corner waving a sign that apparently got her excited. Thankfully I wasn't driving the Lotus. As is typical, she bolted when the light turned green and I followed her to work some non-threatening distance behind. When I got out of my car, she claimed that she was late for work and that's why she didn't stop. Then she explained that she was a massage therapist and offered me a free massage.
David Craig and CMP like this.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 05:21 AM
CMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundabout View Post
A young lady in a Camry somehow accidentally shifted her automatic into reverse and floored the throttle and hit the front of my car. There was a guy standing on the corner waving a sign that apparently got her excited. Thankfully I wasn't driving the Lotus. As is typical, she bolted when the light turned green and I followed her to work some non-threatening distance behind. When I got out of my car, she claimed that she was late for work and that's why she didn't stop. Then she explained that she was a massage therapist and offered me a free massage.
so,... does this story have a happy ending?
glb, NumberSix, morrissey and 1 others like this.

Oh snap! I'm on fire!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP View Post
so,... does this story have a happy ending?
Yes, the story ended well. I didn't notice the cracked headlight until a month later, I felt it was a small price to pay for the overall experience; all things considered.
jhentr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in