Racing stripes - where to get? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Man of Steel
  • 1 Post By Chicagomax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Back to the Future, again

Racing stripes - where to get?

I really like the look of an Elise with racing stripes. White with one offset red stripe. Blue with two white stripes down the middle. Grey with an offset black stripe. You name it.

Question, where do I find someone to do it? There are some vinyl decal shops around here and my friend says that's the usual route but I want to hear from the experts.

Does the dealer do them and would they charge too much?

Thanks in advance.

My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 07:31 PM

My dealer wanted $700 so I bought the vynil from ChuforiaGraffix.com and did them myself.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 02:47 AM
Older but getting faster

Garage
ChuforiaGraffix.com sells very high quality vinyl stripes as well as hundreds of other custom graphics.

A word of caution: the curves and contours of the Elise/Exige require a great deal of skill to get a professional results. (Skills I thought I had but ultimately learned I did NOT).

If I were to do it all over, I'd buy the kit from Chuforia and have them professionally applied locally.
smokin orange likes this.

2006 Ardent Red Elise
Touring, Star Shield, hard top, remote V1 display and bracket, sun visor delete, micro mirror, shifter fix, Stage II exhaust, de-snorkeled, ITG air filter, Nautilus horn, black LSS wheels, ARP wheel studs, upgraded oil line fittings, ProAlloy radiator, s.s.brake lines, BOE Race Links, Innovative rear motor mount, plastic grills out, all aluminum mesh, Total Oil Control Wet Sump V1.1, s.s. caliper pistons, BWR sway bar, Penske NA coilovers.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 06:38 AM

^^What they said!!

"I take life one pixel at a time"-RENDERMAN
Adobe Photoshop CC and Autodesk Maya Certified Instructor
WILL.I.AM
My work:
http://www.wilsart.com/
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 06:56 AM

2nd everything Manofsteel said...

Keith at chuforia is very helpful, sent me two extra orders as I was "learning" that I should never try to apply stripes again. After probably a good 15 or so hours I got it completed.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Older but getting faster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by razkaz24 View Post
2nd everything Manofsteel said...

Keith at chuforia is very helpful, sent me two extra orders as I was "learning" that I should never try to apply stripes again. After probably a good 15 or so hours I got it completed.
Your stripes look great - I don't have your patience. Did you need to use heat to get the material to flow around the curves yet keep the edges straight? Keith was very encouraging, but I set the project aside indefinitely.

I do almost all of my own maintenance but I'll leave stripes to the pros. I was quoted $500-$600 by a body shop to apply them.

2006 Ardent Red Elise
Touring, Star Shield, hard top, remote V1 display and bracket, sun visor delete, micro mirror, shifter fix, Stage II exhaust, de-snorkeled, ITG air filter, Nautilus horn, black LSS wheels, ARP wheel studs, upgraded oil line fittings, ProAlloy radiator, s.s.brake lines, BOE Race Links, Innovative rear motor mount, plastic grills out, all aluminum mesh, Total Oil Control Wet Sump V1.1, s.s. caliper pistons, BWR sway bar, Penske NA coilovers.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
I was quoted $500-$600 by a body shop to apply them.
Find another body shop. A good place charges only $3-400 to apply a pre-cut clearbra. Stripes should never cost more than that... and take much less time for a pro to install.

Best regards,
Bob

Life is full of compromises. The garage shouldn't be.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Chuforia gave me some great ideas for color combos... awesome site! Thanks!

My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 02:09 AM

Keith is awesome and very helpful. Don't hesitate to shoot him an e-mail if you have questions too, his e-mail should be listed in his website.

Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

"Comfort is for kids. I would want to make my passengers weep in fear" - Agent One
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
Your stripes look great - I don't have your patience. Did you need to use heat to get the material to flow around the curves yet keep the edges straight? Keith was very encouraging, but I set the project aside indefinitely.

I do almost all of my own maintenance but I'll leave stripes to the pros. I was quoted $500-$600 by a body shop to apply them.
Thanks, I used the water/soap method to put the stripes on and align, then used a blow dryer to dry them on. (Tried heat gun but that glued them a little too quick for me.)

The only area where I didnt use that method was on the engine cover on the back, for that I just put them on dry, due to the multiple curves and angles.... That was the most difficult, that 2' area alone took about 2 1/2 hours each!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 04:03 PM

I just had a new valve cover put on my Exige, but haven't been able to source the same vinyl decals as it had when I bought it. Can anyone recommend a place from where I can purchase these?

The bottom ones (Foreground) say "Lotus" and "SPORT", whereas the top (background) says "SUPERCHARGED."

Here are the decals I'm after. (How it looked two days ago.)

Here's what the car looks like as of today. (I apologize for the crappy cell phone pics.)

Last edited by Big Top Gt; 04-16-2011 at 04:39 PM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 04:25 PM

I bought it from Keith also and DIYed it. A lot of work and it wasn't easy. I think the engine cover was the hardest. I re-did it at the bodyshop by a professional a year ago. Now it looks...professional.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 04:55 PM

be aware the ones offered by some places aren't air-release vinyl, which will make your job a living hell (ask GStefan). Whatever you buy, make sure it has air release/egress features in the vinyl, and the job will be extremely easy by comparison.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 05:32 AM

Had a friend locally cut and help me apply a design I had drawn up for my car. He has his own vinyl cutter and does quite a bit of custom vinyl work. Took us about 7 hours total to cut and apply the stripes. And as it's been said - the compound curves of the car make application a REAL bear. The worst two sections for us were the rear indents on the deck lid and the rear panel between the lights. Having the numbers cut out of the stripe made the rear panel especially tricky:

And timelapse of the installation:
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Man... I got tired just from watching that video. Car looks awesome! Why 310? That's a Los Angeles area code.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:03 AM

Looks like ChuforiaGraffix.com is no longer. Anyone have any recommendations for vinyl stripes? Want to add yellow stripes to an incoming green elise. Found what I was looking for in the link below, but not sure if anyone has experience with this vendor and/or how particular I should be with selection. Also: anyone have an idea of what is an acceptable install cost?
Thanks!

http://www.gearhead.graphics/store/p64/Elise_dual_stripes_with_matching_accent_stripe.htm l
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:45 AM

I think Keith is still around. The email I used for him a while back was [email protected] Maybe its still good.

Otherwise, he is on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Chuforia/

Or try to contact him via his ebay store: Kchulick . Here's one of his ebay lisitings: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Raptor...-/331605803873
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 chrome orange View Post
I think Keith is still around. The email I used for him a while back was [email protected] Maybe its still good.

Otherwise, he is on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Chuforia/

Or try to contact him via his ebay store: Kchulick . Here's one of his ebay lisitings: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Raptor...-/331605803873

That worked! Evidently his website got hacked a while back, but he is still active on Facebook and eBay. Thanks!
2011 chrome orange likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in