Reborn Turbo Elise- Finally! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Reborn Turbo Elise- Finally!

With LotusF1's permission, the short story:

Many of the Elise Talk veterans here are familiar with the horror story of LotusF1's Turbo Elise. This is the story that started so poorly with a Haas Turbo kit, a privateer's installation gone bad (remember Stan?), then one Lotus shop molesting the car, followed by yet another well known Lotus shop totally molesting the car , and now the car finally ended up in our shop

First, I must say that we see more and more turbo cars in our shop that have been terribly constructed. I thought I had seen it all, but this car really gets the prize. The shops who touched this car did criminal work at best

The exterior of the car is note-worthy. LotusF1 has done a great job with tasteful accents and has some of the best paint I've seen on an 05. But after that, he relied on shops to do the mechanical work and that's where it all falls apart.

A list to give you an idea:
  • The "custom" ECU Tune was just a warmed over supercharger map
  • Valve stem seals were not installed on the head correctly
  • Cams were not timed correctly when installed
  • Wiring wasn't even good enough for an old trailer
  • No heat shielding and plenty of heat damage from it
  • Vacuum/Boost plumbing was totally incorrect
  • sloppy hose and wire routing
  • Valve lash way out of spec
  • Wiped intake cam
  • HUGE exhaust leak at turbo housing due to poor installation
  • No boost controller
  • Leaks at EVERY hose clamp
  • No Catch Can & No PCV. Crank venting open to engine bay = Oily Mess

....and the list goes on...

I asked LotusF1 for a little leeway in the building process to make this a proper car rather than just fixing the essentials. The engine's leakdown numbers were actually not good, but we agreed that doing an entire engine build project was just not in the scope of this project. So leaving the engine and tranny in the car, the head on the motor (to keep any cylinder wall damage out of site and out of mind from both of us!), and the understanding that this is not a track car, but rather a show car and fast weekend cruiser--- he let us do just about anything else As he said, the car hasn't ran well since 2006, so HAVE AT IT!

Well, we fixed about everything we could. New valvestem seals, new cams, fixed the timing, new tune, all new IC, all new plumbing, all new wiring, new clamhinge, paint work under the clam, heatshielding, etc, etc... While the car was here, he had us install CF seats, and some other CF accents.

We finally have a car that is a blast to drive, pretty darn fast, and looks absolutely killer!

The complete build is in our Rides section here

RIDES

Some teaser pics below.

Hope you enjoy!

Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable

Last edited by turbophil; 03-30-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 08:13 PM

Thanks BOE for taking care of my car and making it right. I can't wait to pick her up and see what's it's like fixed right finally!...all 300whp!

It's been a disappointing, time wasting and expensive Journey from MWR-HASS-Stan-VF.

I look forward to writing a review of it when I get to drive her a bit and test her out Looks like good things to come. I've been very pleased with the service and communication from BOE (a remote shop for me). We all know the anxiety and challenges that can be but so far so good. The car looks great and the dyno sheet looks nice. Next is the driving part

Last edited by Lotus F1; 03-30-2014 at 08:26 PM.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 08:22 PM

Amazing what some people will do to your car. Both ends of the spectrum, a lot of work, but great work. get those tires spinning

Cheers
2005 MB, Red interior, sport/tour packs, stage 2 exhaust

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 08:23 PM

I read what happened to your car. Honestly, I would probably be in prison if it was me.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 07:06 AM

Holy hell did you guys see the dyno graph!? Giving me an extra 100whp warrants BroHugs for everyone!

'05 CO Elise Mods: Yes
'01 NFR S2000 Mods: No
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 10:19 AM

Nice save Phil...!

Hey Phil, nice work getting that deal to be a for-real turbo Lotus.

Looks real nice and the power looks to be a TON more fun than most street hot rods! As you found out, the 2zz Turbo, when properly sized and tuned will make Buku torque from right off the bottom and there is no real urge to rev them past 7500. They pull like a 5.0 from 3000 on!

You forgot to mention the use of our DMC air-to-air intercooler package. Looks nice in there. For even more consistent cooling on the street and in really hot climates you could add the puller fan. It does a great job to help keep intake temps low at low road speed and in traffic.

Nice work, good to see an honest days work for an honest days pay in this world of fly by nighters!

Enjoy!

JD.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 10:29 AM

Another great story of Phil's dedication to our unique little cars! Great job!

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 11:06 AM

Great work Phil!

Pretty anxious to read LotusF1's reivew.

2006 Black Exige
Chimera R.B.S./ITB airfilter/Composite Worx
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 03:30 PM
Gamera The Atomic Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
Holy hell did you guys see the dyno graph!? Giving me an extra 100whp warrants BroHugs for everyone!
here's betting that this car is going to rock your world. Wow - torque with a capital TORQUE.

Lotus Elise #134 - S O L D BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 292whp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 04:20 PM

Good news ! The turbo adventure was painful to watch. Car looks good as new.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 05:03 PM

Quite a transformation! Looks nice, Phil.

2017 Evora Sport 410

2006 Elise British Racing Green SOLD
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 05:33 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Looking great. One thing I must expand upon about Phil's service is the daily e-mails and nightly phone calls with the days progress, photos and discussions. I have never ever had such service from a car shop before. In fact the only similar follow up service I have ever gotten was from my best friend (another Phil) a surgeon, when he was filling me in on my wife's body restorations.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 05:37 PM

Great job guys, Phil and crew strikes again. And just as you said, the before pics should be used as criminal evidence against any place calling themselves a mechanic shop.

2005 Lotus Elise - Storm Titanium
BoE Rev400TVS SC, MWR E153 Trans, ACT HDSS Clutch, 2bular Full Exhaust, Ohlins Double Suspension, BoE Catch Can, BoE TOC Oil Pan and so forth
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 06:11 PM

Nice job
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 06:32 PM

Damn, that is some gnarly work in the before shots. I appreciate some good work and it looks like Phil and team has pulled through. Quality is always appreciated and I sure appreciate the Rev 400 kit that has worked flawlessly on my car for over a year with a lot of abuse now. That's RnD I never had to do and that allowed me to focus on the important things like learning do drive this heap.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 06:42 PM
Anthony

So glad this car got put right! Phil, you are the best!!

'10 Evora
'06 Elise - partial list: BOE REV300TVS s/c w/ 85mm pulley, VSA Motorsports tuned engine built by DRS, PPE header, BOE exhaust, BOE intake, BOE catch can, S111 gPAN2, S111 ULTRAdiscs, Ohlins, BOE clamhinge, '10 Exige front clam w/ shaved signals, dual projector HIDs, halo turn signals, LED DRLs, RLS ExtendView's, Reverie side scoops, Denag skirts, OEM rear spoiler, S111 CF hardtop, S111 aluminDIFFUSER, EliseUSA stainless engine cover grilles, bandit mask, full Alcantara interior.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Thanks guys! Props to Lotus F1 for not solving his bad luck with this car using the match and gasoline strategy!

You guys are right though. The previous shops that worked on the car caused far more harm than good. The engine bay was just the start though. The previous shop installed a new cylinder head. When I saw the cam timing was off and then the valve stem seals were not installed on the guides, I was It was about that time I called Lotus F1 and we realized we're going to be in for a little bigger project than we anticipated and needed to turn over many more stones

Cheers!

Phil

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 AM

Proves my theory that it is important to know who to write the checks and if you write them to wrong people it is throwing money away.

Ed
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 09:19 AM

Good job Phil! I look forward to hearing a good end to this way too long story. The beginning of this story scared me a way from power mods.

I am curious how did you get the car out there Lotus F1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in