Reborn Turbo Elise- Finally! - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 10:34 AM

awesome job.... love to hear how the turbo compares to the supercharger kits you offer. The turbo seems to rest somewhere between the REV300 & REV400

HP seems to sit between the REV300 & REV 400 whilte TQ is more tehn a REV400

& O yea.... if you like it.... any chance of offering a turbo kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

We'll happily install a turbo kit. There are pros and cons to the two.

On these mild boost applications where 15/16 psi boost is all we're making (or less), the Supercharged REV400 build will likely be faster than the turbo cars. The average torque and area under the curve is greater with the blower at these levels, the reliability better, the complexity less, fewer heat issues, etc with the supercharger. The 15psi REV400 cars simply pull and pull and pull...

THAT SAID, there is a certain element to turbo cars that is hard to resist. They make more exotic noises and the way the torque ramps up is more exhilarating on the street than the supercharger's more linear torque curve. The turbo car will often feel faster even though it's not. On the street, [feel] can be more rewarding than the reality

Again, that's typically the case on the 15/16 psi or less builds.

Obviously, if you're going for all out power (At the expense of making for a peaky torque curve), a huge turbo that can make higher manifold pressures can't be beat.

All these cars with ~275-350whp are intoxicatingly quick. We've done enough of them that the recipe is well sorted while retaining good reliability and can run with OBD2 compliance on the stock ECU...

-Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by over40 View Post
Good job Phil! I look forward to hearing a good end to this way too long story. The beginning of this story scared me a way from power mods.

I am curious how did you get the car out there Lotus F1?
I drove it 1800 miles. I have actually been driving it the last 2 years albeit mostly out of boost for the most part. It ran fine for general street driving and cruise highway. It just didn't like to be under boost for the most part as one could imagine. Which quite frankly negated the whole purpose of the turbo and all the other hardware

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Gamera The Atomic Turtle

^yes yes yes. I did this too. From NH. Highly stress free, no shipping the car. Really nice extended stay hotels, $68/night - a sweet suite! Make it a vacation..

Lotus Elise #134 - S O L D BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 292whp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 09:00 PM

Great work looks hella fun! What seats are those? Look like s3 Exige seats kinda
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverLotus View Post
Great work looks hella fun! What seats are those? Look like s3 Exige seats kinda
Composite Worx CF Seats
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 08:19 PM

post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 08:23 PM

post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 08:52 PM

Beautifully done...

2005 SY Lotus Elise Supercharged
(Build date: Sept. 13, 2004 #484)
16th of 115 US 05 same color\trim\options.
Signed by Elisa Artioli
Handmade in England- Perfected by me.
Sponsored by: Difflow Diffusers- GRP (Discount Code: "Keleent" for a discount at checkout )
Follow me on IG:
www.instagram.com/keleent
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 09:52 PM
Puff Daddy

^ This is insane!!! Using almost all the exact same hardware also..

Congrats BOE for finally fixing this mess! I've been reading about it since the early days. I'm glad to see it finally resolved.

Lotus F1: I have much respect for you for sticking it out throughout the years. As painful as your saga has been, it's been enlightening for the rest of the community.

I miss turbo noises so bad. I keep thinking about getting rid of my SC setup and going turbo but the cost and complexity of doing it right keeps stopping me.
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 11:14 PM

Well I left the shop 2 weeks ago and right out of the BOE I took it on a 1500 mile journey. Some may say that's a ballsy move after all the open heart surgery this car went through while at BOE but it had to be done

Needless to say the car had zero mechanical issues and ran great. It was driven in just about every condition imaginable. From freezing cold night desert, High Altitude Colorado/Utah, 93 degree Nevada, to 75 degree sea level cruising Malibu, and it performed beautifully.

Finally after all the rip off, incompetent garbage vendors who a$$ raped my car Phil and BOE got my Turbo Elise running great for the first time. I am very grateful to Phil and BOE for getting my car right first shot and for allowing me to fulfill a bucket list wish to take that car across this amazing country. They were great in communication and making sure my car was taken care of and treated right. Definitely the best vendor of the half dozen I have used. So far so good!

The car runs awesome and is a real pleasure. I am still getting used to the idea I can floor this car and not have it do bad things to itself and me.

Turbo Lotus is a sh!t load of fun on the street and exotic doesn't begin to describe the reaction it gets everywhere it goes.

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 01:55 AM

Nice to see a happy ending. How are those seats for long trips?
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus90 View Post
Nice to see a happy ending. How are those seats for long trips?
Those composite worx seats are hard period. No way they are as or more comfortable as the stockers...however i used a gel seat and it was fine. I also used bubble wrap on the seat and it was super comfortable lol. If ever doing a long trip i recommend doing that.
post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 03:14 AM
Gamera The Atomic Turtle

you look happy in the pic. Congrats on getting it to the point where you smile just thinking about the car, much less driving the car. Those guys in KC are the real deal.

Lotus Elise #134 - S O L D BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 292whp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

VERY COOL

Glad that we could be part of the journey!

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus F1 View Post
I drove it 1800 miles. I have actually been driving it the last 2 years albeit mostly out of boost for the most part. It ran fine for general street driving and cruise highway. It just didn't like to be under boost for the most part as one could imagine. Which quite frankly negated the whole purpose of the turbo and all the other hardware
I am not sure I would be able to hear after 1800 miles in my Elise, but I contemplate it everytime Phil comes out with something interesting.
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by over40 View Post
I am not sure I would be able to hear after 1800 miles in my Elise, but I contemplate it every time Phil comes out with something interesting.
With a pair of noise reduction Bose headsets tapped into my phone for music and podcasts it was fine. Nice and quiet but yet you can still hear things you need to hear.

Bubble wrap and Bose is the magic formula lol
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 04:29 PM

I have Compositeworx seats also and yes they are too hard so I simply added some 1/2" open cell foam and a bit mor for lumbar support and they are very comfortable.
Attached Images

2009 Elise S,Rev 400 ,t Ferrea Valves , MWR springs,PPE headers and decat,SSC Harness bar, PenskeDA,Shaved V2 steering arms ,FF engine damper. Saikou Michi catch cans, Modded Toyota E153 gearbox ,60l Proalloy fuel tank , Aeromotive 320 fuel pump,Exedy clutch LSD , SSC ECU, CompositeWorx SP1 seats ,Varexy muffler, Haltech Elite 1500 ECU, Racepak IQ3 Street dash, Aussie-clamhinge.
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardNHCooper View Post
I have Compositeworx seats also and yes they are too hard so I simply added some 1/2" open cell foam and a bit mor for lumbar support and they are very comfortable.
You actually spent $4K on 2 seats and ripped them apart? No you didn't !! I can hear Sam at a far distance.....

"OOHH OOOOHHHH OOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!"

Cough cough sorry, it just came out, I had no control...

"I take life one pixel at a time"-RENDERMAN
Adobe Photoshop CC and Autodesk Maya Certified Instructor
WILL.I.AM
My work:
http://www.wilsart.com/
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENDERMAN View Post
You actually spent $4K on 2 seats and ripped them apart? No you didn't !! I can hear Sam at a far distance.....

"OOHH OOOOHHHH OOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!"

Cough cough sorry, it just came out, I had no control...
Well actually they're more like $1800 a pair. The so called padding that it comes with is just velcro'd on alcantara.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in