recommended adhesive for soft top clip? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

recommended adhesive for soft top clip?

Noticed the black plastic piece that the soft top plastic support rods sits in was loose while I was cleaning over the weekend and it came flying off yesterday. What’s the best way to stick it back on?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 04:11 AM

I'd buy some 3m automotive trim tape, cut it into slivers, and hold it on with those. You want something removable if the need ever arises.

It's funny though, mine are held on by giant globs of a rubbery glue on the backside, and they were a nightmare to remove.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:15 AM

I would use caulking if you have some handy.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:26 AM

Garage
I'd use (Permatex) clear RTV glue/sealant. Clean both mating surfaces thoroughly, then apply a small bead in the crevice on the back side of the fitting, then stick it back in where it goes. Wipe the excess off with a paper towel. Put a top bow in on that side to apply compression to the fitting while the glue sets. Come back 12 hours later and it'll be stuck in there, and completely watertight into the bargain.

If the silicone didn't do the trick, probably the next step would be a urethane glue like 'gorilla glue.' Should stick well to both surfaces, and positively won't come off. I don't like it as well as the RTV silicone for this sort of use because it isn't as nice to things when it fails.

I wouldn't use the VHB tape because it doesn't fill gaps as well as a liquid.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 06:40 PM

I used a pea-sized blob of black RTV years ago. It's strong enough to hold it in place, yet can be cut/pulled out if need be.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Appreciate the input thank you!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 04:01 AM

I use Henry's 212 crystal clear sealant 10.1 oz cartridge available from big box stores. It remains flexible, drys clear and I find that it bonds stronger than clear silicon. I used it to keep condensate tube from flopping around and between rain showers if needed I can jump up on the roof and do repairs lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in