it's 2018. whats the best battery to get for the elise? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
CMP

it's 2018. whats the best battery to get for the elise?

it's 2018. whats the best battery to get for the elise?

currently i have a heavy yellowtop d34 in it. (i think that is right, it's a gel battery and has lasted about 3 years. looks correct, but i didn't match up the model number).

should i go small, or what. i turn the car one once every week or two.

Oh snap! I'm on fire!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 04:34 AM

SHORAI

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
CMP

hum... sounds like a good idea. where do i get the "braille b2015 mounting bracket" . really light stuff is sold out.

here is the URL talking about those. https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f321...shorai-110964/

Oh snap! I'm on fire!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP View Post
hum... sounds like a good idea. where do i get the "braille b2015 mounting bracket" . really light stuff is sold out.

here is the URL talking about those. https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f321...shorai-110964/
I just bought the Shorai myself. Also wasn't sure about the bracket, but decided to go with the inokinetic/sector 111 bracket and use foam as bumpers or whatever if needed. Haven't tried the fitment out just yet.

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 09:08 AM

I have a pc680 that keeps dying if not driven in 2-3 days. It has a cutoff switch but I’m tired of shutting off battery and losing my settings. What size battery do I need to upgrade to in order to prevent my car from not starting after sitting? I have a hard-wired dash cam and use the cobra alarm.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 09:35 AM
2006 Exige

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SufjansWasp View Post
I have a pc680 that keeps dying if not driven in 2-3 days. It has a cutoff switch but I’m tired of shutting off battery and losing my settings. What size battery do I need to upgrade to in order to prevent my car from not starting after sitting? I have a hard-wired dash cam and use the cobra alarm.
Somehow I'm on the same Deka ETX20L battery in my Exige since 2013, which as you know is amazing in the AZ heat. (Pretty much the same battery as the PC680). It has never not started the car after sitting. I plug it into a battery tender if I'm going to be gone more than a couple of weeks. I don't know how long it could go, but I know it can sit at least 7 days. I have disabled the immobilizer on my Cobra alarm and the car sits in the garage with the alarm unarmed.

That said, when this thing goes, I'm definitely buying a Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 as my next battery (for the weight savings).
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZelise View Post
I have disabled the immobilizer on my Cobra alarm and the car sits in the garage with the alarm unarmed.
There’s the difference — I leave my alarm armed and have a hard-wired dash cam. ie: dash cam is “on” even when the car is turned off; motion sensor recording. So these are two parasitic drains I need the battery to support. It didn’t die prior to my dash cam install but turning dash cam off isn’t an option so I need a larger battery for sure.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 10:40 AM

Deka man, can't beat it for price and longevity.

2006 Exige
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 01:47 PM

Garage
Need a battery trickle charger

Quote:
Thereís the difference ó I leave my alarm armed and have a hard-wired dash cam. ie: dash cam is ďonĒ even when the car is turned off; motion sensor recording. So these are two parasitic drains I need the battery to support. It didnít die prior to my dash cam install but turning dash cam off isnít an option so I need a larger battery for sure.
I doubt you want a bigger battery, I would say you need to maintain the charge with a charger. Just remember to unplug it before you head out.

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 02:40 PM

CMP - what do you want to get out of a battery?

I had a Chimera battery from 2012 and it lasted until about a month ago. It worked great for those 6 years and I have no "regerts". It would last months between starts. These days since I can't drive the car, I don't mind leaving it off a battery, so I have a cheap Odyssey PC680 which will just allow me to move the car when I need to.

I do plan to rebuild the Chimera when I can, but if I didn't already have it or the RLS braket, I would go with Shorai. Seems like a great lightweight battery with balance charger available.

2006 Black Exige
Chimera R.B.S./ITB airfilter/Composite Worx
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I have a pc680 that keeps dying if not driven in 2-3 days. It has a cutoff switch but Iím tired of shutting off battery and losing my settings. What size battery do I need to upgrade to in order to prevent my car from not starting after sitting? I have a hard-wired dash cam and use the cobra alarm.
I haven't pushed my Shorai for obvious reasons, but it's sat 5 days off the tender with the alarm activated and started right up. This is the 36AH equivelent though, their largest battery.

BTW just a heads up the AH equivelent on these lithium batteries is BS, even the manufacturer will tell you that, it's actually closer to half of that number, so my 36AH equivelent is probably more like an 18AH regular battery which isn't too much of a compromise for such a lightweight battery
SufjansWasp likes this.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:59 PM
ky13

I've had a PC680 in all 3 of my Elise; I keep it on a trickle charger in the garage when I'm not driving it regularly.

04 SRT10 Viper -- sunny day toy

04 TSX -- daily driver
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 04:41 PM

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLotus View Post
I doubt you want a bigger battery, I would say you need to maintain the charge with a charger. Just remember to unplug it before you head out.
I don't want to deal with that =\ To me, it's basically the same as shutting my battery on and off. I don't want the hassle. I just want a larger capacity battery that will start up after 3 days with cobra armed, and camera on. Get in car, and go, without anything extra steps. lol
TheExigentOne likes this.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 05:25 PM
The Enforcer

Deka is a good battery that is inexpensive. Same battery as the Braille (minus the carbon case) made by East Penn. Also goes by the alias Big Crank and auto parts stores carry the same battery under their particular name. I used to run a Deka in my C6 Corvette.

Not a fan of any Odyssey. Been there done that.

I've used the Shorai with their tender in my ZX-10R and Exige S. I've run the Exige battery completely dead on several occasions (not intentionally) and the tender has resuscitated the battery each time.

Their customer service is outstanding. My ZX-10R had a Shorai, not even the battery model recommended (saving weight). I called to ask for some particulars after it was out of warranty and the representative asked me to submit a warranty claim. A few days later I had a reconditioned battery, the more expensive recommended one, free of charge. I couldn't tell it wasn't new. They just asked me to send the old battery back so they could analyze it. A friend is running the same Shorai (LFX36L3) in his daily driver C6 Corvette.

Another nice touch is the adhesive backed foam pads they send with the battery. I still have a bag full of them.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 08:31 AM

What battery bracket are you guys using with the Deka? Is it possible to use the stock one? Thanks, Rustyb
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 08:49 AM

How is Braille B129?

Last edited by Beemerb0y; 06-19-2018 at 10:22 PM.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 12:49 PM

Why don't you like the odessey?
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 12:56 PM

I was extremely busy and let my Lotus with the Shorai sit for 2 weeks. Started it up yesterday with no issues at all.

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstomp06 View Post
I was extremely busy and let my Lotus with the Shorai sit for 2 weeks. Started it up yesterday with no issues at all.
Good to know, do you have the 36aH?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in