Thoughts on Nardo Grey on the Elise? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
View Poll Results: Nardo grey? Yes or no?
I would drive the crap out of that 6 20.00%
NO! 18 60.00%
Its fine 6 20.00%
Yes but different shade/tone 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Thoughts on Nardo Grey on the Elise?

Considering respraying my car a different color. I have liked Nardo Grey for a while. Question is, what do you think about it? What would you paint your car if you had the opportunity to change the color? Need ideas!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 06:06 PM

Looks nice especially with black wheels. What color is your car now?
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 06:08 PM

Isnt there already one that color? I thought I had seen it here?

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 06:19 PM
The Enforcer

Too dull, and I'm not one for loud colors. There's a Tacoma near my house in nearly that color, cement grey (no capitalization, wait for it) and I'm not a fan. Volcano Orange (capitalized for emphasis) is about as loud as I could go on the Elige, and nearly impossible to obtain from another thread here:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f17...orange-264137/

If you're doing a respray, I think you can do better than nardo grey (yup, no capitalization). Of course, what do I know about what all the cool kids want?

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro574 View Post
Looks nice especially with black wheels. What color is your car now?
I think it flows well, But am considering getting it painted a shade lighter. Current color is Ardent Red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
Isnt there already one that color? I thought I had seen it here?
Yes a member on here has painted it this color, this is where i got the picture from. Though he has been inactive for a few years now and has only posted a few pictures of his car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Too dull, and I'm not one for loud colors. There's a Tacoma near my house in nearly that color, cement grey (no capitalization, wait for it) and I'm not a fan. Volcano Orange (capitalized for emphasis) is about as loud as I could go on the Elige, and nearly impossible to obtain from another thread here:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f17...orange-264137/

If you're doing a respray, I think you can do better than nardo grey (yup, no capitalization). Of course, what do I know about what all the cool kids want?

San
Haha, I agree it is a somewhat dull color. But at the same time it is a color that works with many supporting/contrast colors (red, yellow, blue, orange, etc). What would be a nice color in your opinion? I'm open to suggestions, this is a very hard decision.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0TU5 View Post
I think it flows well, But am considering getting it painted a shade lighter. Current color is Ardent Red.

Yes a member on here has painted it this color, this is where i got the picture from. Though he has been inactive for a few years now and has only posted a few pictures of his car.

Haha, I agree it is a somewhat dull color. But at the same time it is a color that works with many supporting/contrast colors (red, yellow, blue, orange, etc). What would be a nice color in your opinion? I'm open to suggestions, this is a very hard decision.
Ah, I assumed that was a mockup, I really like it, but I also like the tacomas in the matte colors and I guess not everyone does.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 08:04 PM

I would probably choose something different. Very close to the Graphite Grey which is a shade darker. I havenít really seen a color for myself that is a must. I like the GG as another poster mentioned it can blend well with the popular color accents like black and red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2002 Honda S2000 - RIP MAY 2012
2005 Lotus Elise Sport and Touring Package - Weekend Warrior
2015 NX200T F-Sport - DD and Winter Beater
2006 Hummer H3 - The wife's
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 08:35 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRawkus305 View Post
I would probably choose something different. Very close to the Graphite Grey which is a shade darker. I havenít really seen a color for myself that is a must. I like the GG as another poster mentioned it can blend well with the popular color accents like black and red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I'd be happier with a much darker grey with some metallic to it as opposed to the "enamel shiny plastic" look. Probably a poor description, but the lack of a deep "get lost in it" shine doesn't appeal to me. Don't even get me started on flat matte finishes (dons a shiny flat matte reflecting flamesuit).

Any reason you're steering away from the Ardent Red?

San
lt1_fd3s and SS Lotus Elise like this.

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I'd be happier with a much darker grey with some metallic to it as opposed to the "enamel shiny plastic" look. Probably a poor description, but the lack of a deep "get lost in it" shine doesn't appeal to me. Don't even get me started on flat matte finishes (dons a shiny flat matte reflecting flamesuit).

Any reason you're steering away from the Ardent Red?

San
I'm not sure to be honest. Many ideas are going through my head and I just want a color that will appeal to others as well as me. Of course there will always be someone out there that doesn't like it. I'm now thinking of staying with Ardent Red and maybe adding some pearl to it. But nardo grey is still on the table.

Cost is a factor i guess, I'll be spending a lot less on a neutral color as opposed to a bright color or tri-stage color. Red base coat alone will cost 2-3 times as much as grey, a tri-stage color such as volcano orange or chrome orange will be several times as expensive (discussed this with friend who paints cars)
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 02:28 AM

I'd drive the crap out of it because I know I'm going to paint it anyway. I owned a Graphite Grey Exige that I liked but didn't love. It worked with metallic, but the 'primer look' not so much. Even then, I bought that Exige not because of the color, but in spite of it. The cars are so rare, that if you really want to enjoy ownership, sometimes you buy what's available.

I don't understand the relatively recent fad of painting sporty looking cars that matte/dull grey.

Of course, I don't care for extremes, either the blandness of grey or the horrid garishness of the Krypton/Isotope Greens and their ilk.
oldmansan likes this.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe

Last edited by 4380r; 01-22-2019 at 03:57 AM.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 06:15 AM

I don't really understand the Nardo Grey trend. JMHO, but it's boring and looks like glossy primer.
lt1_fd3s likes this.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 06:51 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
There's a Tacoma near my house in nearly that color, cement grey (no capitalization, wait for it) and I'm not a fan.
That's a special edition off road package. Fans of that truck LOVE that thing. To each their own, I suppose.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 06:53 AM
Less is Better

I'd paint my car nightfall blue. Stunning color.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 07:02 AM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
That's a special edition off road package. Fans of that truck LOVE that thing. To each their own, I suppose.
Fitting that's it's called cement grey, as that's all most of them ever see.

San
glb and L0TU5 like this.

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 07:13 AM

Garage
I have to admit that this color looks good on the Ford Focus RS I see every day. That said, I think it looks good simply because it's a rare color at the moment. I'm old enough to remember when champagne gold was a classy color. Then it was everywhere. Now it's just old.

Currently, metallic gunmetal is everywhere, and rare colors are almost anything that is not metallic or pearl, gray, charcoal or maroon. We've gotten to the point where refrigerator white or phone company gray (yes, there used to be one phone company and they painted their trucks that color gray) is a daring color choice...

I'm wondering if utility gray (glossy primer, if you will) is going to be the next big thing just because it's so different from anything that has been seen on cars since about 1965.

Should be good for a year or two until it shows up on Hyundais.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 08:36 AM
Race & Pamper

15 votes so far...
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 09:33 AM

Have you thought about white? White goes great with all accent colors too and great contrast with carbon fiber bits.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Made a few renderings from that color. A shade lighter and a shade darker. Any thoughts on these?

I like white on many cars, but for some reason it just looks too plain on an elise. Can't quite put my finger on it. Blue is a good color choice, I have owned an Electric Blue Evo 8 and i LOVED that color. I'll look into it as well. Have been more open minded as of yesterday, and am maybe even considering Volcano Orange or Sebring Orange now, I really would like to see those colors in person first.
Attached Images

Ls1Rx7 likes this.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:17 AM
Less is Better

For some reason, Lotus has a great color pallet. In addition to my favorite nightfall, I really like Chili Red and Autumn Gold. Chili Red is similar to Garnet Red from Subaru, it's got a gold flake that doesn't sound interesting, but it's fantastic in person. And I'm not a gold fan, but Autumn Gold is so unusual and for some reason works on the car.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:56 AM
Race & Pamper

If I may chip in my out of the box opinion, why not a McLaren color? Like their volcano orange on the recent models? Just my opinion, nothing else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in