Thoughts on Nardo Grey on the Elise? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
View Poll Results: Nardo grey? Yes or no?
I would drive the crap out of that 6 20.00%
NO! 18 60.00%
Its fine 6 20.00%
Yes but different shade/tone 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:43 AM
The Enforcer
 
oldmansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Posts: 5,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubera View Post
If I may chip in my out of the box opinion, why not a McLaren color? Like their volcano orange on the recent models? Just my opinion, nothing else.
As noted above, it's crazy expensive, and nearly impossible to obtain.

San
Kubera likes this.

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
oldmansan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 12:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 292
Garage
The old standard wisdom is that white smooths out the angles and corners on the car and black accentuates them. The darker the color, the more pronounced that details (and paint imperfections) will be.

So if you have an incredibly angular car (like, say a Guigiaro Esprit, or the (Bertone-designed) Fiat X 1/9 of my youth) you have a choice: do you smooth it out or go to a dark color to emphasize the angularity? Metallics also soften the edges on bodywork and effectively lighten the color.

Eliges and Evoras are rounder. I have always compared the BMW Z3's appearance to a running shoe. By that analogy, an Elise is a ballet slipper. There are a lot of compound curves, though: nothing is flat on the body, and nothing is constant radius for very long. The car really does look molded rather than stamped, which, of course, the bodywork was. That makes the color choice more ambiguous - our cars share more bodywork form cues with a 427 Cobra than an Esprit.

My favorite color on the Elise is in fact Magnetic Blue. I haven't seen an Aubergine car yet, but I suspect I'd like that too. The amazing thing to me, in looking at this picture, is that there really isn't a bad color on the car. I'm quite happy with Saffron Yellow, but would have been just has happy with at least five other colors.

Anyway, the brightness value of those nonmetallic grays falls in the range of Laser Blue to Graphite Gray depending on shade. All of the factory reds fall in the same value range. By that reasoning, it should be quite attractive on the car.
steelypip is offline  
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 12:32 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 25
i prefer a raw carbon look maybe with matte finish.

Or something like the matte saton chrome colours, i really like them

Life is to short to drive boring coloured cars
ManuelG1986 is offline  
 
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:48 PM
CMP
Registered User
 
CMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 768
i always liked this color.

http://www.jgmsports.co.uk/wp-conten...-1520x1000.jpg

Oh snap! I'm on fire!
CMP is offline  
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 02:28 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Boston
Posts: 633
I don't think the color fits the curves of the elise. I think it'd be better suited to boxier/angular shapes, which is why you see Nardo on german cars mainly, bmws audis etc.

On top of that, the particular car you posted is also using glossy accents. If you did a flat color (with clear coat) then all accents absolutely need to be flat/satin. That would be the only way it would look ok.

Even so there's much better options.

Are you attracted to the grey or the flatness of the color?
Porsche makes probably the best selection of non metallic OEM colors
Ls1Rx7 is offline  
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: FL
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1Rx7 View Post
I don't think the color fits the curves of the elise. I think it'd be better suited to boxier/angular shapes, which is why you see Nardo on german cars mainly, bmws audis etc.

On top of that, the particular car you posted is also using glossy accents. If you did a flat color (with clear coat) then all accents absolutely need to be flat/satin. That would be the only way it would look ok.

Even so there's much better options.

Are you attracted to the grey or the flatness of the color?
Porsche makes probably the best selection of non metallic OEM colors
Literally every single car I have owned has had some sort of metallic/pearl in it (with the exception of red). I just want to just try something different for once.

But I guess you may be right about this color not fitting the curves. I will look into Porsche colors, thanks.

You have any specific color recommendations?
L0TU5 is offline  
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 04:01 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Boston
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0TU5 View Post
Literally every single car I have owned has had some sort of metallic/pearl in it (with the exception of red). I just want to just try something different for once.

But I guess you may be right about this color not fitting the curves. I will look into Porsche colors, thanks.

You have any specific color recommendations?
I don't know if you're adverse to bright or if the dull nature of Nardo is what you're looking for.
But these 2 colors on these Gt3 RS's are kinda what I had in mind:

Generally I feel like brighter colors work better on the Elise also because it plays off the black grills and vents

I've been thinking about this ALOT. I spent over a year trying to figure out what I was going to paint the Elise. I started off with factory Grey, then somehow slowly moved all the way to the opposite end of the spectrum and the plan for the moment is McLaren Volcano Orange, which is the complete other end of the spectrum from what you're looking for.
Ls1Rx7 is offline  
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 04:06 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Boston
Posts: 633
Also someone else already memtioned white, but I thought I was going to go in this direction for a while. Seems very purpose driven:
Ls1Rx7 is offline  
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 08:05 PM
The Enforcer
 
oldmansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Posts: 5,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelG1986 View Post
i prefer a raw carbon look maybe with matte finish.

Or something like the matte saton chrome colours, i really like them

Life is to short to drive boring coloured cars
A raw carbon look implies the body is carbon, which it isn't. Anything else is fake carbon, which seems fundamentally wrong.

You're right about life is to short to drive boring colored cars, but the OP is clearly interested in other people's opinions and preferences, perhaps because he will eventually sell this car, and the color will make a difference in the amount of money the car will fetch. This is probably the biggest reason I'd steer away from the Nardo Grey.

I was the first to vote NO! and thought perhaps I wasn't cool enough to appreciate the color. The votes seem to be fairly lopsided.

I saw another Tacoma at work in this color and while it might be alright for the truck, I just don't think it flatters the Elige. Note I said alright for the truck, which sums up my opinion. Would you purchase a Ferrari in Nardo Grey? The Elige deserves similar consideration.

Honestly, if I were to respray my Exige a completely different color, I'd have to think long and hard about it. I'd have to justify not only the cost of the respray, which is considerably more for a different color and how much more the multiple stage colors would add to the price as well.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
oldmansan is offline  
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: FL
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
A raw carbon look implies the body is carbon, which it isn't. Anything else is fake carbon, which seems fundamentally wrong.

You're right about life is to short to drive boring colored cars, but the OP is clearly interested in other people's opinions and preferences, perhaps because he will eventually sell this car, and the color will make a difference in the amount of money the car will fetch. This is probably the biggest reason I'd steer away from the Nardo Grey.

I was the first to vote NO! and thought perhaps I wasn't cool enough to appreciate the color. The votes seem to be fairly lopsided.

I saw another Tacoma at work in this color and while it might be alright for the truck, I just don't think it flatters the Elige. Note I said alright for the truck, which sums up my opinion. Would you purchase a Ferrari in Nardo Grey? The Elige deserves similar consideration.

Honestly, if I were to respray my Exige a completely different color, I'd have to think long and hard about it. I'd have to justify not only the cost of the respray, which is considerably more for a different color and how much more the multiple stage colors would add to the price as well.

San

Perfect way to sum it all up. I'm 90% sure I don't want nardo grey on this specific car now. I still like the color, but I'm starting to see how it doesn't work so well on this car.

Picking a color is perhaps the hardest thing I have done with a car. It's just so nerve wracking, already spent several hours looking though thousands of photos, slowly driving myself insane.
L0TU5 is offline  
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 09:14 PM
The Enforcer
 
oldmansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Posts: 5,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0TU5 View Post
Perfect way to sum it all up. I'm 90% sure I don't want nardo grey on this specific car now. I still like the color, but I'm starting to see how it doesn't work so well on this car.

Picking a color is perhaps the hardest thing I have done with a car. It's just so nerve wracking, already spent several hours looking though thousands of photos, slowly driving myself insane.
Thanks. Yeah, I think I could spend months trying to come to a decision, just to second-guess myself once I did. Tough situation to be in.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
oldmansan is offline  
post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:31 PM
shay2nak
 
shay2nak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Calipornia
Posts: 24,802
first post looks like grigio medio or whatever. That looks way better than Nardo. Nardo is too light.

** save ~10 lbs gain 1 hp ** EQ: Y=(190*X) / (1984-X) where Y is (HP) and X is (lbs)

'07 Lotus Exige S310


WTC 2
shay2nak is offline  
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:46 PM
Registered User
 
InfernoLotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 540
Garage
Hummm.... Chrome Orange is not listed. I guess orange does not matter.
Attached Images
 
Kubera likes this.

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
InfernoLotus is offline  
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 05:16 AM
Race & Pamper
 
Kubera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
As noted above, it's crazy expensive, and nearly impossible to obtain.

San
San,

I recall a fellow LT member did it, somehow found the paint formula for Volcano Orange. Yes, indeed it would be expensive, but the paint would be truly unique and stunning!

ANYHOW, whatever color you choose, the most important color is the one you like the most
Kubera is offline  
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 05:19 AM
The Enforcer
 
oldmansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Posts: 5,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubera View Post
San,

I recall a fellow LT member did it, somehow found the paint formula for Volcano Orange. Yes, indeed it would be expensive, but the paint would be truly unique and stunning!

ANYHOW, whatever color you choose, the most important color is the one you like the most
I provided a link in post 4.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
oldmansan is offline  
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:42 AM
eZg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Deep South
Posts: 319
paint has gotten INCREDIBLY expensive, I priced a PPG blue paint I was interested in and for the base and mid coats alone the paint was over $1,500.

My project didn't go any further than that, lol.
eZg is offline  
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:08 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Boston
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by eZg View Post
paint has gotten INCREDIBLY expensive, I priced a PPG blue paint I was interested in and for the base and mid coats alone the paint was over $1,500.

My project didn't go any further than that, lol.

The volcano Orange will cost me around double that for the Tri-Coat.
My primer and sand paper was over $1,000 alone

$1,500 is essentially normal cost, which is why a $1,500 paint job has to be cheap single stage and probably very poorly done.
Ls1Rx7 is offline  
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Colorado springs CO
Posts: 1,200
My issue with the color is that it blends into background too much. The car is hard for other cars to see on the road already. gray and pavement color are similar.
I think for safety a brighter is best
lotus90 is offline  
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 04:44 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Morton, IL
Posts: 354
You dead set on paint? Wraps open a whole new world of options in terms of color, sheen, and designs.

Personally, I think you need to do a Polaris Fluorescent Yellow

rb26dett likes this.

2006 Lotus Exige: Avery Matte Graphite wrap, partial built motor (9:1 Mahle pistons, Ferrea Competition valves, ACT Clutch, ARP head studs), REV400, Nitron SAs, BOE QS exhaust, Ultradisc rotors, Moroso Oil pan, Circuitworks oil pump, CF Stuff (Cup Roof, ReVerie diffusor, side scoops, APR air dam, craftsquare mirrors), Worksbell quick release, Odyssey PC625, Morimoto Xenon HID, BOE Rear Oil Cooler, Difflow Aeroplates, BOE Swirl Pot, DaviesCraig EWP, Reversed Heater Matrix
mwehnes is offline  
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 04:10 PM
Registered User
 
Huckleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 11
Autumn Bronze, like mine!
Attached Images
 
me73 likes this.

2014 Lotus Evora S manual trans
2018 Porsche 911 4S manual trans
2018 Maserati Levante
2014 BMW 335 XDrive manual trans

Ducati 996
Rokon 2 Wheel Drive
BMW R1150R
BMW K75
Yamaha YZ MX
Husqvarna 450cr MX
Huckleberry is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome