Transforged afterburners - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Transforged afterburners

I bought a set of transforged afterburners and wait 10 weeks for them. I got tired of waiting and canceled my order. After I canceled my order I read some reviews about quality of the light and I was surprised with what people are saying. The lights cost $800 and people were complaining about quality of the parts and it is just 3d printed and weak on the light out put. Did anyone else have a bad experience with them? Did I jump the gun and cancel too early? Has anyone tried any other taillights with good or bad results?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 12:37 PM
CMP

these things? https://transforged.com/products/elex-afterburner

they look pretty and they are in stock, but i've never seen them in person.

Oh snap! I'm on fire!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 12:45 PM

they do look pretty and have never seen the need to pay $800 for some taillights.

GRP sells them as well and I have seen these in person and they are sweet and a little cheaper than TFR.

https://www.gregsraceparts.com/colle...e-exige-esprit

"less is more. but i like more. well then, add less."

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 01:37 PM

I've seen the GRP ones in person and they are pretty cool, but they are no where near as bright as stock LED tail lights. I didn't see the stock 05 tail lights next to them to compare, but I think the stock 05 ones are probably a little brighter too. If you look at them up close you can tell they're 3d printed. The most obvious spot is the clear reverse lens, you can see the print lines in it pretty clearly.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 01:47 PM

They're both 3d printed I believe. But the grp set has a lens that covers the outer ring whereas the transforged one just seems to have a uv protected coating sprayed on.

Build quality on the grp set seems better. And they're cheaper. I originally preordered the transforged ones. I must've been one of the first. And then got sick of waiting while everyone else online seemed to get theirs first. I also ordered a set of signal blades from them that I didn't feel was good enough quality to install. And after hearing some stuff about their tail lights, I decided to cancel my order.

To be honest, I think the transforged set looks better. But don't feel comfortable with the price and the idea of replacing oem with that quality.

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstomp06 View Post
They're both 3d printed I believe. But the grp set has a lens that covers the outer ring whereas the transforged one just seems to have a uv protected coating sprayed on.

Build quality on the grp set seems better. And they're cheaper. I originally preordered the transforged ones. I must've been one of the first. And then got sick of waiting while everyone else online seemed to get theirs first. I also ordered a set of signal blades from them that I didn't feel was good enough quality to install. And after hearing some stuff about their tail lights, I decided to cancel my order.

To be honest, I think the transforged set looks better. But don't feel comfortable with the price and the idea of replacing oem with that quality.
Yeah, they are both 3d printed. The build quality on the GRP ones does seem good, just wanted to point out that if you look closely at them you can tell pretty easily that they're 3d printed.

Interesting to hear about the signal blades, what was wrong with them? Was considering getting a set of them, but was on the fence. Might have to look elsewhere or stick with the factory ones.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudySkys View Post
Yeah, they are both 3d printed. The build quality on the GRP ones does seem good, just wanted to point out that if you look closely at them you can tell pretty easily that they're 3d printed.

Interesting to hear about the signal blades, what was wrong with them? Was considering getting a set of them, but was on the fence. Might have to look elsewhere or stick with the factory ones.
The blades are also 3d printed...and when the extra plastic from the prints were being cut out...you can see some extra cuts and scrapes from where the knife hit (I had ordered the "sesto elemento" version).

I also didn't exactly trust how the actual blade is suppose to fit and be secured to the wiper/signal stalk. https://transforged.com/pages/technical It seems to be pressure fitted...not sure I trust that long term. There's another one made by someone in the UK that is all aluminum and has a set screw to make sure it doesn't move. And it's cheaper. But doesn't look as nice in my opinion. Again, a nice looking part...but not sure about the rest.

If you're still interested in them, you can have mine for cheap. PM me.

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:22 AM
Loving Vandal

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstomp06 View Post
There's another one made by someone in the UK that is all aluminum and has a set screw to make sure it doesn't move. And it's cheaper. But doesn't look as nice in my opinion. Again, a nice looking part...but not sure about the rest.

If you're still interested in them, you can have mine for cheap. PM me.
Could you possibly link to the set with the screw in the UK? I haven't seen these. Thanks!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:42 AM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Horner View Post
Could you possibly link to the set with the screw in the UK? I haven't seen these. Thanks!
Here is a thread but maybe @muffin can PM you.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95...ml#post5926286
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elise311 View Post
I bought a set of transforged afterburners and wait 10 weeks for them. I got tired of waiting and canceled my order. After I canceled my order I read some reviews about quality of the light and I was surprised with what people are saying. The lights cost $800 and people were complaining about quality of the parts and it is just 3d printed and weak on the light out put. Did anyone else have a bad experience with them? Did I jump the gun and cancel too early? Has anyone tried any other taillights with good or bad results?
I'm pretty happy with the DIY solution: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92...-elise-369962/

Attached Images

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:43 PM

Nice Pete!

I have the TFR afterburners - what I like about them is that they are ungodly bright. Like ridiculously over the top bright, adds a lot of much-needed visibility to these cars. I have heard that these lights burn out after awhile, but mine have been going strong so far. Aesthetically I feel like they are by far and away the best looking lights, both on and off. They are quite expensive though, and can echo the build quality concerns, though in my case none of that has impacted functionality.

To give you an idea of how bright these are, at night they light up the ground a few feet from the car. That's my biggest concern going with GRP's option - those don't seem to be nearly as bright, but I've never seen them side by side so I could be wrong. Attaching a stock vs afterburner shot as well. These are the old afterburners, he calls them eclipse now and apparently there are improvements.

Wait times can be very long - I definitely had to wait a couple of months for mine.
Attached Images

Last edited by Varun916; 04-10-2019 at 12:55 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:33 AM

I still have not seen a close up high quality picture of the afterburner lights. Would probably be more helpful to see them uninstalled.

I am also of the opinion that brake and tail lights can be too bright. I have been behind some cars/trucks with aftermarket lights that make me want to avert my eyes. I think that makes it dangerous because I am not looking at the vehicle in front of me making it hard to determine deceleration rates.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:45 AM

I am one of the few that upgraded from the 05 tails to GRPs. I can definitely say it is no brighter or darker than our OEMs. And on top of that, it is definitely an upgrade from 05s haha. I apologize for the poor pic quality but it didn't look that bad initially. You can tell the brightness is very similar though.
Attached Images

2002 Honda S2000 - RIP MAY 2012
2005 Lotus Elise Sport and Touring Package - Weekend Warrior
2015 NX200T F-Sport - DD and Winter Beater
2006 Hummer H3 - The wife's
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedR View Post
I still have not seen a close up high quality picture of the afterburner lights. Would probably be more helpful to see them uninstalled.

I am also of the opinion that brake and tail lights can be too bright. I have been behind some cars/trucks with aftermarket lights that make me want to avert my eyes. I think that makes it dangerous because I am not looking at the vehicle in front of me making it hard to determine deceleration rates.
You haven't seen up-close, detailed, high-quality photos of them because if you did, you probably wouldn't order them.

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in