Tree sap on Headlight lens - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Tree sap on Headlight lens

Hello all,

Just an the title says, I have tree sap on my evora's headlight. It's a very small drop, just wondering what's the best and safest way to take it off?

Any products out there that work wonders to take it off?

Rubbing alcohol...vinegar....goo gone...bug/tar remover???

Thanks in advance for any and all input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 11:15 AM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus4life123 View Post
Hello all,

Just an the title says, I have tree sap on my evora's headlight. It's a very small drop, just wondering what's the best and safest way to take it off?

Have you tried hot soapy (Dawn) water? Of the products you've listed I'd use Goo Gone first.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 11:28 AM

Rubbing alcohol will do it. You will have to use a few clothes as the alcohol will dilute the sap and spread it around. Just get a new cloth and a bit more alcohol. And should be fine on the plastic. Paint and headlight protective films have you prep the surface with alcohol. I've used it on both paint and headlights with no ill effect. If you use it on paint it'll take the wax off so use it sparingly unless you plan to re wax

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 11:35 AM

I read a while ago that pine sap can often be removed with vegetable oil (which was stated to be harmless to paint and fiberglass). Perhaps it would work on a headlight if left in place for a while. Of course, it would need to be followed up with hot, soapy water and a good wax.

Note that your headlights are clear coated. So, whatever you do use should be what is safe for use on paint.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus4life123 View Post
Hello all,

Have you tried hot soapy (Dawn) water? Of the products you've listed I'd use Goo Gone first.

San
I haven't tried anything yet other than just trying to wipe it down with some very warm water and a microfiber cloth. Which didnt seem to do anything. I will try dawn soap and rubbing alcohol if that doesnt work. Thanks for the advice.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro574 View Post
Rubbing alcohol will do it. You will have to use a few clothes as the alcohol will dilute the sap and spread it around. Just get a new cloth and a bit more alcohol. And should be fine on the plastic. Paint and headlight protective films have you prep the surface with alcohol. I've used it on both paint and headlights with no ill effect. If you use it on paint it'll take the wax off so use it sparingly unless you plan to re wax
Okay thanks so I'll try the rubbing alcohol. Do I need to let it sit in and soak the sap for awhile? Hoping it has no effect on the headlights clear coat. Sounds like it shouldn't be an issue.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 chrome orange View Post
I read a while ago that pine sap can often be removed with vegetable oil (which was stated to be harmless to paint and fiberglass). Perhaps it would work on a headlight if left in place for a while. Of course, it would need to be followed up with hot, soapy water and a good wax.

Note that your headlights are clear coated. So, whatever you do use should be what is safe for use on paint.
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try that if rubbing alcohol has no effect on it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 05:54 PM

The alcohol will start to dissolve it immediately. Just put it on a cloth liberally and then start rubbing the sap. Won't take long at all.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 11:20 PM
Sig

Garage
Turpentine work the best for removing tree sap...but that is getting hard to find, so mineral spirits is next in line. Home Depot paint depart is where to source either.

Whoever said that island life is great was never committed to Alcatraz...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:47 AM
German Reimport

I can't speak for the head lights but I had good success using Zaino polish (the Z2 or Z5) to remove big globs of baked on tree sap from paint on another car.
It takes some elbow grease, but the polish eventually dissolves the sap.

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:36 PM

I had tree sap from a pine tree get onto a former car. I think it had accumulated on a 1 week cottage trip. I basically was not able to get it off of the paint so I ended up wet sanding and spray painting.

I'll admit though that I didn't try the solutions offered on this thread.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:47 PM
www.theapexinn.com

Keep it simple......Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover. Works great on rubber from track days also.

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in