The V6 Exige is HUGE - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 57Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:55 AM
Registered User
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Mountain Motorsport Ranch, NV
Posts: 4,651
I should add -- I don't have a subwoofer.
eldonz and Varun916 like this.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
Jack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:10 AM
Registered User
 
Exira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: US
Posts: 205
I owned an Elise before my Evora S. I initially didn't like heavier Evora because of its weight/size. But once I drove it, I totally love the supercharge V6 power in the Lotus - very easy to drive fast and still has the Lotus handling. And to mention the Evora's magical suspension - you can't get this experience in the Elige. If the V6 Exige is legal in US, I will trade/sale both my Evora S and Exige for the V6 Exige without any hesitation. If the Elige owners can experience the supercharge V6, I'm sure they will feel differently about the V6 Exige.
Exira is offline  
post #43 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:46 AM
Registered User
 
eldonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 927
I drove the Exige 430 Cup at Hethel and the car felt great compared to my S260 and the looks were outstanding.

Later,
Eldon
eldonz is online now  
 
post #44 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:22 PM
Registered User
 
cain-it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dubai UAE
Posts: 818

Arabian Elises R US
cain-it is offline  
post #45 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:19 AM
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,138
No one is denying that the S3 is a better track weapon, I just wish it was more Lotus, not less.

When finished, my car will be 1800 lbs full of gas, and with the REV300 will be quite enough for me. I know Lotus could have done this, and been quite successful with it, but they chose a different direction.

So yeah, I'm one of the few people that would not own a V6 Exige if it were given to me, I'm just a bit more of a purist than that car.

@cain-it . I would LOVE to have an S1 with a Type R motor!!!!!
@Jack . Yes, your 001 Cup 255 is my very favorite car produced, but I would have modified it extensively with later Cup car parts, like I'm doing with my own. It's weird that I think it's a shame that car was used properly haha, or I would have purchased it!
Liftnot2 and Varun916 like this.

2006 Exige
VisualEchos is offline  
post #46 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:08 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldonz View Post
I drove the Exige 430 Cup at Hethel and the car felt great compared to my S260 and the looks were outstanding.

Later,
Eldon
Hey Eldon,

What would you say is the Pro/Con of the S260 and the Exige Cup 430?
JaRS is offline  
post #47 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:54 PM
Registered User
 
eldonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRS View Post
Hey Eldon,

What would you say is the Pro/Con of the S260 and the Exige Cup 430?
The S260 needs to keep the motor wound up to make use of the HP. Even doing this, you still need more HP to overcome the aero drag that you start getting over 120 MPH. The C64 trans becomes fragile as the HP is increase in the S260. This can be solved via different gear sets or sequential. With the short and narrow wheel base the S260 is prone to snap spins. This can be corrected but requires some suspension work. Once the chassis of S260 is setup, it is fast and will pull over 1.5Gs in a corner. With the lower torque, you typically can plant your foot once the car starts to rotate in a corner. The brake bias is all screwed up on the S260 because Lotus put large rotors and calipers on the front and left the rear alone. Can be easily fixed but just takes time and money.

Only got to do a handful of laps in the 430 Cup but what I did was impressive. The car has enough low end torque that it will pull out of a corner even if you are in the wrong gear. I was able to compare the Exige 430 Cup to a Evora 410 Sport and I can tell the Cup was much faster. The Cup felt very stable under heavy braking and trail braking, no ICE mode from the ABS. They had a cone chicane and the car just followed the input from the steering wheel. I did not notice the extra weight of the car because it felt very comfortable. I would have liked to put more laps on it because I was learning the track at the same time I was feeling the car out.

If I had to pick a track car, I would pick the 430 Cup over the S260 any day. I would have a 430 Cup-R but Lotus won't make one because of the cost, I talked to the production manager while I was there. They do not have a motorsports division anymore to do the custom stuff. They also do not have anymore of the X-Trac Sequentials to install.

Later,
Eldon
shay2nak likes this.
eldonz is online now  
post #48 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 02:12 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 40
I like the lines of the S2 more than the ones of the V6.

When comparing both cars do not forget, that the S2 Cup260 had a picetag of 45'950 GBP while the S3 Cup 430 requires you to spend 99'800 GBP...
shay2nak likes this.
ManuelG1986 is offline  
post #49 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:19 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldonz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRS View Post
Hey Eldon,

What would you say is the Pro/Con of the S260 and the Exige Cup 430?
The S260 needs to keep the motor wound up to make use of the HP. Even doing this, you still need more HP to overcome the aero drag that you start getting over 120 MPH. The C64 trans becomes fragile as the HP is increase in the S260. This can be solved via different gear sets or sequential. With the short and narrow wheel base the S260 is prone to snap spins. This can be corrected but requires some suspension work. Once the chassis of S260 is setup, it is fast and will pull over 1.5Gs in a corner. With the lower torque, you typically can plant your foot once the car starts to rotate in a corner. The brake bias is all screwed up on the S260 because Lotus put large rotors and calipers on the front and left the rear alone. Can be easily fixed but just takes time and money.

Only got to do a handful of laps in the 430 Cup but what I did was impressive. The car has enough low end torque that it will pull out of a corner even if you are in the wrong gear. I was able to compare the Exige 430 Cup to a Evora 410 Sport and I can tell the Cup was much faster. The Cup felt very stable under heavy braking and trail braking, no ICE mode from the ABS. They had a cone chicane and the car just followed the input from the steering wheel. I did not notice the extra weight of the car because it felt very comfortable. I would have liked to put more laps on it because I was learning the track at the same time I was feeling the car out.

If I had to pick a track car, I would pick the 430 Cup over the S260 any day. I would have a 430 Cup-R but Lotus won't make one because of the cost, I talked to the production manager while I was there. They do not have a motorsports division anymore to do the custom stuff. They also do not have anymore of the X-Trac Sequentials to install.

Later,
Eldon

What suspension mods did you do to counter ther 'snap spin'?

I've seen various threads on correcting the brake bias on the S260. Exactly what route did you go and more or less what cost should one expect?
JaRS is offline  
post #50 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:24 PM
Registered User
 
eldonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRS View Post
What suspension mods did you do to counter ther 'snap spin'?

I've seen various threads on correcting the brake bias on the S260. Exactly what route did you go and more or less what cost should one expect?
Let's not derail this thread and take it to a PM.

Thanks,
Eldon
eldonz is online now  
post #51 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:29 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 82
Eldonz. PM sent.
JaRS is offline  
post #52 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 04:59 PM
Registered User
 
XHILR8N!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 2 laps down
Posts: 6,823
Garage
Tail end is unfortunate, especially when itís painted black across the lights. Which it almost always is.

More Evora than Exige.

Regardless, the Lotus of choice to go after those darn GT3s that are the yardstick on track days
VisualEchos likes this.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
XHILR8N! is offline  
post #53 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 05:17 PM
shay2nak
 
shay2nak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Calipornia
Posts: 24,900
For sure the rear has to get rid of the bumper and for the cup cars, have 4 taillights. Looks totally weird with one taillight per side. Even Ferrari finally see this and have 4 taillights again. Iíve seen the S3 at the LA Auto Show a few years back. The front looks amazing, rockers are so-so and rear is sh*t. I canít really fault the S2 design except for the front access panels which are flat now to house the ABS. The Rover motor Elises have sharp sloping panels that look awesome an make the front end look even smaller. And also for the Exige S2, Lotus should have slighy widened the rear clam as they did the front clam. That is it.

The S3 is over styled and doesnít flow well from front to back.




** save ~10 lbs gain 1 hp ** EQ: Y=(190*X) / (1984-X) where Y is (HP) and X is (lbs)

'07 Lotus Exige S310


WTC 2

Last edited by shay2nak; 05-18-2019 at 05:29 PM.
shay2nak is offline  
post #54 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:16 AM
Premium Member
 
GuppyCaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lake Wallenpaupack, Pocono Mountains, PA
Posts: 2,222
Iíd give my left nut to be able to buy a street legal V6 Exige in the U.S. The front and side looks drop dead sexy, but Iím not a fan of the rear. However, that performance must be phenomenal!
GuppyCaptain is offline  
post #55 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:44 AM
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by shay2nak View Post
The S3 is over styled and doesnít flow well from front to back.
That's it, you hit it, it's over-styled for sure.

If the cabin was a bit bigger then the front and rear wouldn't look so out of place. And if they had the money to redesign the rear as well as they did the front, oh my, we'd all be crying in our beer.

If I'm 100% honest, getting an S3 in the states to drive legally wouldn't be that hard because NO ONE is looking for it. Hell, they don't even know what it is.

1. Buy salvage S2
2. Buy really nice salvage S3 and have it imported for parts.
3. Fix S3 and swap the vin from the S2 onto it.

No one would know, they would both be "parts" cars, and honestly, no one would care. As far as most would be concerned, you're just changing a '69 Corvette into a '79 Corvette. Even the engine would pass the sniff test.

2006 Exige
VisualEchos is offline  
post #56 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:26 AM
not your dad's puns
 
Turbopun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Big D
Posts: 1,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyCaptain View Post
I’d give my left nut to be able to buy a street legal V6 Exige in the U.S. The front and side looks drop dead sexy, but I’m not a fan of the rear. However, that performance must be phenomenal!
If only the market for 2nd hand gonads were that good.


VE, I'm right there with you up until step three. Here's my suggestion, with 100% less violation of federal laws...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post

1. Buy salvage S2
2. Buy really nice salvage S3 and have it imported for parts.
3. Swap S3 subframe, engine & body onto S2 chassis, thereby leaving VIN plate untouched.
4. ???
5. Profit

because racecar
Turbopun is offline  
post #57 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:41 AM
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopun View Post
VE, I'm right there with you up until step three. Here's my suggestion, with 100% less violation of federal laws...
I think that's a lot of work for nothing because what's making the car illegal would still be illegal. The tub really isn't the car, especially if they are identical (they're not, but close). I think the worst part is that, had the S3 been produced in 2005, it'd probably be legal for as long as the S2 was. Then again, maybe not, as one of the reasons that Lotus got a pass was that it would cause significant financial hardship on the manufacturer. Not an easy idea to sell with a car this expensive.

2006 Exige
VisualEchos is offline  
post #58 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:47 AM
Registered User
 
TedR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
If I'm 100% honest, getting an S3 in the states to drive legally wouldn't be that hard because NO ONE is looking for it. Hell, they don't even know what it is.

3. Fix S3 and swap the vin from the S2 onto it.
I know we have had this conversation before, but swapping VIN's is not legal. If you want to do it, go for it. But telling anyone else it is legal, because no one is looking, is bad advice.

I think the law is dumb and was put in place by the guidance of auto manufactures to limit competition. Bringing a Lotus of any sort into the country and driving it on public streets is far less harmful to the public than lifting and tuning a domestic diesel pickup.
TedR is offline  
post #59 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:50 AM
Registered User
 
VisualEchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedR View Post
I know we have had this conversation before, but swapping VIN's is not legal. If you want to do it, go for it. But telling anyone else it is legal, because no one is looking, is bad advice.

I think the law is dumb and was put in place by the guidance of auto manufactures to limit competition. Bringing a Lotus of any sort into the country and driving it on public streets is far less harmful to the public than lifting and tuning a domestic diesel pickup.
Sorry, I meant state legal, not federal legal. It's all illegal, if you want to get down to it, but my point was that it's not a Skyline, so no one cares.

Lastly, I'm not dispensing advice here, and I think everyone knows that.

2006 Exige
VisualEchos is offline  
post #60 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:54 AM
Registered User
 
Butters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
Sorry, I meant state legal, not federal legal. It's all illegal, if you want to get down to it, but my point was that it's not a Skyline, so no one cares.

Lastly, I'm not dispensing advice here, and I think everyone knows that.
Wait, you're not? What the hell am I supposed to do with the Exige V6 I just bought online then??
ERDoc74 likes this.

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
Butters is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What gas cap fits the V6 Exige? (the V6 part is important) metrocube Lotus Exige 0 07-23-2015 01:30 PM
Prob already posted? Lotus Exige Catches HUGE Air. Shawn C General Discussion (Lotus related) 23 06-11-2013 08:40 AM
Huge parts sale, including Exige Hard Top, Tires, Wheels, safety gear -everything! FastJoh Parts For Sale 15 04-25-2013 11:19 AM
"HUGE feedback through the steering wheel" JonOrangeElise Lotus Elise 23 06-10-2004 06:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome