The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!
Status
Not open for further replies.

What is the funniest/most stupid comment you ever got? [Part 3]

201K views 1K replies 302 participants last post by  Mr. Know 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Some kid in a beat up pos 90's Lexus GS300 with gold rims followed me to my garage and asked me if he could check out the car since he was thinking about picking one up. I took one look at his bling bling necklace, huge ugly "designer" sunglasses and said sorry I had to go. He then told me his friend told him I had 2 of them (I park my Miata in the garage with the Lotus), total idiot.

BTW, here are Parts 1 & 2-

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/what-funniest-most-stupid-comment-you-ever-got-9101/

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/what-funniest-most-stupid-comment-you-ever-got-part-2-a-54277/
tracy

#149 ·
You guys aren't lying about the attention this car gets.

I test drove my first Elise ever last night. Not FIVE MINUTES into the drive...

A brit seemingly falls out of a tree (came out of NOWHERE) walks up and says "Hey they build these close to my house in Hethel." :huh:

Dude chatted us up for a good few minutes.

Hahahaha how random is that in Miami, Florida? :D

Not bad for the first 5 minutes of driving a Lotus. :clap:

#152 ·
You guys aren't lying about the attention this car gets.

I test drove my first Elise ever last night. Not FIVE MINUTES into the drive...

A brit seemingly falls out of a tree (came out of NOWHERE) walks up and says "Hey they build these close to my house in Hethel." :huh:

Dude chatted us up for a good few minutes.

Hahahaha how random is that in Miami, Florida? :D

Not bad for the first 5 minutes of driving a Lotus. :clap:
Hahah, I like that.

Re the question "how much is your car?", I don't think it's a biggie....not as if they couldn't find out on their own eventually. If they ask "how much you make?" is another story.

#154 ·
I was driving the '73 Lotus Seven today and got stopped at a red light. A gentleman pulls up to next to me in a Chevy Cavalier and rolls down his window. Because the Seven is RHD it is very easy for people to talk to me from their driver's seat as we are only a few feet apart.

He leans a little out of his window and asks, "What year is your Caterham?"

I replied, "It is a 1973 Lotus Seven."

He responds, "Yeah, right. Lotus doesn't make Caterhams."

I then say, "You're right. Lotus doesn't make Caterhams -- Caterham does and they are called Caterham Sevens. But both of the companies made Sevens. Caterham bought the rights to the Seven from Lotus in late 1973. This one is one of the last cars that Lotus made before Caterham took over production."

He looks at me with a very serious face and from his mouth fell these words, "Dude, don't lie about it -- you'll just come off looking like an idiot. Lotus doesn't make Caterhams."

Now I'm just :huh: and I could only reply with, "Uuuuuh, sure..."

:wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang:

#155 ·
LOL rotfl - what else could you do with that! It makes sense that he drives a car with that name - he was obviously so....wait for it.... "Cavalier."

#162 ·
Sitting at the light today behind a van...Mystery Machine style. All of a sudden the back door opens and a guy jumps out with a camera runs to the side of my car takes a picture and then jumps back into the back door of the van and the light turns green.

This happened so fast I didn't even have a chance to say anything.

#165 ·
I think it's funny how sometimes you get real car enthusiasts that just know enough about your car to make some informed comments. And then they say how x is better or y is better.

Of course, it could be worse. It could also be that you get a guy who "knows everything" about cars, and then YOU have to ease him into a soft landing before he makes a fool of himself.

#167 ·
For Halloween I picked up one of those 6' blow up snow globes with a zombie and gravestone inside with all the flying bits of foam. I also took a piece of paper and cut it up for some fangs that I put on my car.

Should be no surprise then that there were way more comments about the teeth on the car! lol.

#168 ·
It must be the haircut I got on friday...

so I am just about to start my car in the burgerking parking lot and a lady in a honda odyssey pulls up in front of me...
lady: wanna trade?
me: no thanks... I'm good
lady: What is that?
me: its a lotus
lady: when did you get it?
me: few weeks ago
lady: you just move here?
me:no...
lady: You are too young for that car!
me: hahahahaha
lady: I bought a 68 VW last week...
lady: how fast does that go?
me: it will do 160 if you want it to... but thats really not the point...

to reinforce the point when I went to walmart 10 minutes later and I got carded trying to buy an M rated game(17+)

I guess I should count my blessing since I just turned 25 three days ago :D...

#174 ·
Some guy came up to me in the bank parking lot today just to let me know he didn't like my car. I told him that luckily he didn't have to worry about it, as I nodded towards his beater pickup truck. What a jerk.

#175 ·
I had the samething happen to we two weekends ago when I took my car the the gas station to fill it up so I could store it for the winter. He was in a huge jacked up mud covered pickup. He asked why would anybody want a car so small. I told him because it is agile and quick and a lot of fun to drive. Then he says how much fun could it possibly be if you can't take it off road. :shrug:

#179 ·
At the LA auto show yesterday, while looking at the Lotus Europa with Dodge EV stickers all over it on a rotating display at the Dodge area . A little kid runs up with his dad and says "They are soooo ripping off Lotus with that design" I was wearing my Norwich City "Lotus Cars" jersey at the time but the kid did not notice ...

Got to see the Evora up close and personal - amazing, much better looking in person

#180 ·
Argh, a lot of posts in this thread are because a few random morons like to criticize our cars.

Well, whatever I think. After test driving a lotus on a track (woohoo) I HAD to get one.

What is the best response to someone who says "what a waste of money" or "how impracticable"? I don't like making smart-ass comments either so I just kind of ignore people.

Monsi, you are 25 and look too young? I am 21 and look very young also, imagine the looks I get? If I don't need to be looking smart I wear old ripped jeans with some crappy $5 shirt too. :panic:

#241 ·
Don't know if these are the best responses, but, you could say nothing (just smile indulgently), or say -

"Well, I bought it for fun and it is"
or
"It's certainly worth it to me"
or
"Considering the enjoyment it's brought me, it's a bargain"

Since you are now a Lotus owner ambassador, you always want to present an image of class and maturity.

#181 ·
Most lucid comment to date...

A guy asked what it was as I walked by in a parking lot and responded, "Wow... the looks remind me a lot of an Opel GT."

Never really thought about it but the Opel GT had similar lines to the Exige.
:)

#183 ·
At a stop light on the way home, there was 4 homeless people standing on the sides waving their "I'm a vet" or whatever cardboard signs. I would feel bad for these people but we have a lot of people who pose as bums to earn some extra cash on the side in my area. Well one guys walks over, and since I had the top down, he yelled at me from the far side of the road. "Nice Lotus!" "Thanks!" "That's a sweet ride.." I would of flipped him a couple bucks but there was a lane of traffic between us and the light just turned green.

I was walking around my work area with my Lotus jacket on, a soldier walks up to me. "Hey do you have that Blue Lotus I've been seeing?" "No I have a silver one." He looked disappointed and sighed, "oh.."

Another day, same jacket, "You own that lotus out there?" "Yep." "Man that's my dream car.. can I check it out sometime" "Sure.." So he catches me later and asks if he can look at it. We go out and look at it. "How does the engine fit under the hood?" "It doesn't, its back there." "Oh snap, what size engine." "1.8L power to weight ratio." "Cool.. can I sit in it." "Sure." So the soldier is sittin in my car pretending he's drivin it.. I had a good laugh. He tells me later he's getting 300k in january and wants to pick one up.. I told him to go get an Exige 240, but he also said he wanted a Lambo eventually, but couldn't he afford a Lambo with that kinda cash??

Was washing my car at my Mother's house, neighbor comes over on his riding lawnmower to check it out. "Can I touch it?" "uh.. sure." His kids came over, his daughter said "Wow, I'd be the Queen of my school if I showed up in that.. well I'm already the queen of my school anyways." She was ether junior high or starting out in high school.

Came out of a briefing and some guys were hanging around my car (as usual) "Damn is that yours?" "Yeah." "How fast is it.. " "Fast enough." "What size engine.. " "1.8L" He shook his head in disgust.

I was at a gas station when this guy pulls up with a familiar looking Porsche boxster. "Nice car, how fast does it go?" "Donno, weather sucks." "Yeah, I was going 90 on the freeway the other day while it was raining and I fish tailed for a while." I looked at his car and it was the pos they were selling at this ricer dealership. This dealership has some nice vehicles but mostly if they buy a car, they will rice it up and sell it. The Porsche was there, I even test drove it for kicks. 98K miles, interior was falling apart, and the automatic top had issues. This dood apparently bought it, cause it was no longer at that dealership, and he told me he just recently bought his. Well the tone of my voice pretty much told him I wanted to be left alone. So he kinda gives me that "I feel like an idiot" look and took off then tried to burn out at the stop sign.

An extremely fat/ugly lady pulled up to me one morning at work in the parking lot in her mini. "Wow I love your car. Where did you get it?" "Park Place. I like your car too.." I lit up a cigorette. "I was actually looking to buy one of those.. they arn't that expensive." I looked at her hard and my smoke almost fell from my lips, I was thinkin.. (You serious? You couldn't fit! Even if you did.. your ugly looks would take away from the car's alure!) then I replied "Its a pain in the butt sometimes, Its hard to get in and out of.. hard bucket seats with hardly no padding.. no power steering.." I don't think she really payed attention, cause at that point I had started walkin away.

At work again, some woman I never met but seen her around comes up to me. "You own that Lotus right?" "Yep.." "Someone just hit it in the parking lot." I was like WTF! Span around and was on my way out the door.. "Wait I was just joking, damn you're serious." They all had a good laugh while I wanted to ring her fat neck.

I've had some positive experiences too but those aren't that intresting.

#184 ·
I was at the drag strip yesterday for my annual "let's see what she'll do this year" trip...

The Elise was surrounded by a sea of much bigger domestics (it's Kansas City after all). About thirty guys meandered over at some time or another in the 2-1/2 hours I sat waiting in the staging lanes (I did manage to squeeze in two runs but that's in the other thread).

Some guys that came over had heard of the car and/or asked to see the engine/interior or to even sit in it. I gladly obliged. Watching first timers get in/out with the soft top on is always fun to watch... ;)

A bunch of burly guys walked over, looked down/around it and walked away without saying a word... a couple looked at the Lotus emblem on the front, went back to their musclecars and said to their friends "it's a Low-tus!"

After pulling off a 12.6 @ 112.1 the car drew a bunch more attention from the gearheads. "How large is the engine in that thing?" "It's a 1.8, 109 cubic inches (had to translate)" "Dayum!"

"This thing must have a turbo." One of his friends saw the headers and said "Nope Roy it has headers." A couple of the Honda import guys picked up on the supercharger but that was about it.

I also got into an argument with a gentleman who claimed that there was no way my car weighed 1780 lbs. (empty, 1854 lbs. full). I showed him the camera picture of my corner scales that I had on my iPhone. He insisted that I was wrong - it must weigh 2780 lbs. because nothing can be that light. I just walked away at that point... don't argue with the weight nazi :thwack:

I felt like a fish out of water. :D

#185 ·
I also got into an argument with a gentleman who claimed that there was no way my car weighed 1780 lbs. (empty, 1854 lbs. full). I showed him the camera picture of my corner scales that I had on my iPhone. He insisted that I was wrong - it must weigh 2780 lbs. because nothing can be that light. I just walked away at that point... don't argue with the weight nazi :thwack:

I felt like a fish out of water. :D

What did you do to lighten it up that much?

#200 ·
Don't laugh too hard.

I've seen a Murcielago parked at the Taco Bell up the street from my place - wise move since the drive through is pretty narrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.