What is the funniest/most stupid comment you ever got? [Part 6] - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 138Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 1093 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 07:03 PM

Something wrong with a lot of Lexus drivers, I've noticed. I always keep an eye on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 1093 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slr2974 View Post
Went to DMV to register and get my plates. The woman at the counter took my paperwork and asked me to have a seat.

A few minutes later she motioned for me to come to the counter.

"There's a mistake on this form."
"Sorry about that, what did I do wrong?"
"You listed the vehicle weight incorrectly"
I looked the form over.
"It looks okay to me..."
"No, right here" (she pointed to where I wrote 1984 lbs)
"That is correct"
"Huh?" (doubtful look on her face)
"Yes, that number is correct"
"What kind of car is this?"

A fitting way to kick off my ownership of an Elise. And she hadn't even seen it.
That's funny...I guess 1984 looks more like the year of a vintage car.
post #23 of 1093 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slr2974 View Post
Went to DMV to register and get my plates. The woman at the counter took my paperwork and asked me to have a seat.

A few minutes later she motioned for me to come to the counter.

"There's a mistake on this form."
"Sorry about that, what did I do wrong?"
"You listed the vehicle weight incorrectly"
I looked the form over.
"It looks okay to me..."
"No, right here" (she pointed to where I wrote 1984 lbs)
"That is correct"
"Huh?" (doubtful look on her face)
"Yes, that number is correct"
"What kind of car is this?"

A fitting way to kick off my ownership of an Elise. And she hadn't even seen it.
When I registered mine, I put the correct weight down, and when I got the title it had 3050 lbs on it... I guess they thought I wrote it incorrectly as well.

2005 Lotus Elise - REV300-TVS supercharger, BOE Silent Touch exhaust, BOE catch cans, Cadillac Homelink system, 5.25" JL Audio Speakers up front, 6.5" Polk speakers in back, LETSLA shift linkage, fiberglass front lip, LETSLA side skirts

2016 Grand Cherokee and 2005 SVT Focus as daily drivers

post #24 of 1093 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 06:15 AM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moldytow View Post
When I registered mine, I put the correct weight down, and when I got the title it had 3050 lbs on it... I guess they thought I wrote it incorrectly as well.
Does your state tax any amount based on the weight of the vehicle?
post #25 of 1093 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Absolute power does what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
Speaking of I did finally have someone ask me what it weight when I told them what it cost. Meaning they asked (sorta rudely) "so what did THAT cost?" I gave my douche answer of "new they were about $40/lb". To which he asked "well ok, what's it weigh then, 10,000lbs?!?" (with a "I'll crush you smartass" look on his face).

So while he didn't get it either at least he was smart enough (or quick witted) to figure it out.

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #26 of 1093 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
Not taxed based on weight for personal vehicles. We are taxed from the county on the value of the car though. I'm curious what that will come out to when time comes since you can't exactly go on KBB and pick out a value on there for it.

2005 Lotus Elise - REV300-TVS supercharger, BOE Silent Touch exhaust, BOE catch cans, Cadillac Homelink system, 5.25" JL Audio Speakers up front, 6.5" Polk speakers in back, LETSLA shift linkage, fiberglass front lip, LETSLA side skirts

2016 Grand Cherokee and 2005 SVT Focus as daily drivers
post #27 of 1093 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldytow View Post
Not taxed based on weight for personal vehicles. We are taxed from the county on the value of the car though. I'm curious what that will come out to when time comes since you can't exactly go on KBB and pick out a value on there for it.
Yes, the Virgina car tax (annual) is crazy.

Since Lotus is not in the State's "car book", they base it upon MSRP with an small annual depreciation. The annual tax is 5% of the car's estimated value.
post #28 of 1093 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATech View Post
The annual tax is 5% of the car's estimated value.
Do I understand this correctly? If you have a $30,000 car you must pay an annual tax of $1,500 on it? If so, I'm shocked.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
post #29 of 1093 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:

Since Lotus is not in the State's "car book", they base it upon MSRP with an small annual depreciation. The annual tax is 5% of the car's estimated value.
And I thought California was bad!

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #30 of 1093 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:

Q: What do you call a frugal person in Virgina?

A: A tourist!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. That was entirely uncalled for.

Tony
Indianapolis
'10 Evora | '66 S2 Super Seven 1500 Cosworth | '99 Birkin (sold)
post #31 of 1093 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 03:20 PM
glb

Pulled into parking lot of a local NAPA. Young guy comes over with his very young son.

He asks his son if he knows what car mine is.

Boy says, "Lotus".

I am a bit amazed. Turns out the boy is only 4.

And, his dad works at the NAPA.

I gave the kid the "You've Seen a Lotus" card I'd printed.

We were all very happy.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...cy-line-36631/
Safely Piercing Wires-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129...esting-106438/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...-brakes-241138
post #32 of 1093 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Absolute power does what?

Get home this afternoon and pull the car in the driveway so I can hop out to open the garage door (forgot the transmitter). As I get out I realize there's a car parked behind me blocking my driveway (really in my driveway). As I wasn't expecting this I sorta jumped back as the kids scared me. Two high school guys in an old, clapped out Camry.

The driver exclaims "that's a Toyota 2ZZ-GE 1.8 litre inline 4 from the Celica GTS, isn't it???" (about as proud and sure as he could be). I tell him yes, he's exactly right and that wow, he knows his Lotus. He smacks the **** out of his buddy and says "see, I told you my car was just as fast as a Lotus!!!" looks at me and now in a very cocky way says "yeah, I have the same motor in my GTS". To which I smile and reply "uh, you don't have *that* motor in your car, trust me". Which he really did seem cool about "oh, well of course not like what's in that thing!"

While it was funny and turned out fine I wanted to let them know following people home and to their driveway might not be the best idea with some drivers...

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #33 of 1093 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
Received an online dating msg today. One sentence:

"Is that your midlife crisis car?"

Well, apparently my "midlife crisis" began when I was 17.

Plus, I'm too old to be in midlife.....
That dating service and being just a bit older than is pretty funny.
it took me a while to catch the irony of it.
post #34 of 1093 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 09:27 PM

I was about three seconds from having my @ss beat by a jealous husband...

I was at the drag strip the other day with my friends and we were all parked in the paddock area watching cars run. I had a little boy, ten maybe, walked up to my elise with his mom and started freaking out. He starts telling his mom how fast and rare these cars are and what not, so i decided to go up and talk with them. I asked him if he liked the car and if he wanted to sit in it and take pictures. Before her son could even comprehend what I said the mother jumped in with "OMG I would love to!!!" And ran over to the drivers door. i let them sit in it and take pictures and everything. Made the kids day

Apparently the husband had been watching the whole time and decided that once she got into the car he'd had enough.... he came over to the car at a rather quick pace and stopped directly in between the me and her sitting in the car and told her it was time to go watch him race. He kept staring at me untill his son distracted him with the picture of him in it.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm 22 and she looked pretty good considering she had a ten year old son lol

Last edited by someguy582; 10-08-2013 at 09:38 PM.
post #35 of 1093 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 09:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy582 View Post
[snip]
I'm not gonna lie, I'm 22 and she looked pretty good considering she had a ten year old son lol
Oh, I'd say you were closer to 5 microseconds to having your @$$ beat by a jealous husband.

He probably saw your 22 year old body language in no uncertain terms

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #36 of 1093 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 10:07 PM

Garage
Filed under Stupid - know your limitations

Forgot about last Sunday night 10/6/13.

Driving back from Santa Cruz, CA over HWY 17 (twisty, hilly, narrow, and dark 2 lane freeway) around 7PM at night. I was in the fast lane in the Esprit at moderate to fast speed. Most people don't drive that fast at night, so I'm moving at a good clip.

All of a sudden, a Toyota Corolla pulls in behind me, tailgating at a high rate of speed. He hangs with me on the gentle turns and straights.

I know a tight radius (that decreases quickly) is coming up. So I accelerate, knowingly full well the Esprit is going to out-corner and spank the Corolla handily.

The Corolla turns up the testosterone and matches my speed, only to lose control and ALMOST slam into the concrete divider. He swerved heavily and luckily maintained his line as there was traffic on his right side.

Suffice to say he was shaken and dropped way back, never to be seen again.

Luckily he didn't crash - the traffic behind him would have been unforgiving.

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #37 of 1093 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekgt View Post
Oh, I'd say you were closer to 5 microseconds to having your @$$ beat by a jealous husband.

He probably saw your 22 year old body language in no uncertain terms
I was being nothing but polite

Last edited by someguy582; 10-08-2013 at 10:59 PM.
post #38 of 1093 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy582 View Post
This reminds me how lucky I am. My wife doesn't mind when I invite cute girls to sit in my car or take them for test drives. She is even OK with the photos I take. She has comments like "Wow that girl really accents your car".
post #39 of 1093 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 04:21 AM
Gamera The Atomic Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekgt View Post
Forgot about last Sunday night 10/6/13.

Driving back from Santa Cruz, CA over HWY 17 (twisty, hilly, narrow, and dark 2 lane freeway) around 7PM at night. I was in the fast lane in the Esprit at moderate to fast speed. Most people don't drive that fast at night, so I'm moving at a good clip.

All of a sudden, a Toyota Corolla pulls in behind me, tailgating at a high rate of speed. He hangs with me on the gentle turns and straights.

I know a tight radius (that decreases quickly) is coming up. So I accelerate, knowingly full well the Esprit is going to out-corner and spank the Corolla handily.

The Corolla turns up the testosterone and matches my speed, only to lose control and ALMOST slam into the concrete divider. He swerved heavily and luckily maintained his line as there was traffic on his right side.

Suffice to say he was shaken and dropped way back, never to be seen again.

Luckily he didn't crash - the traffic behind him would have been unforgiving.
I had a similar situation (now , this is New Hampshire, less traffic by far. Some days , i only see 4 cars. And one of them is mine. Haha.) A pickup truck , brand new, obnoxiously revving his engine at me, baiting me, leaving our subdivision's road. Yes - my "neighbor". On my @ss @ 30 mph -for a mile on our broken up, nasty , poorly paved town road, which becomes perfect pavement about 1/2 mile out of our neighborhood. I tried to pull over to let him by two times, he had such a hard on to race - he would always stop behind me and wait. So i am slightly annoyed and we get up to the newly paved portion and i am feeling like i don't want him around anymore, and we are approaching a series of 25 mph hair pins that i know like the back of my tool box. So - I let the car do what the car does. The truck desperately tries to keep up, i think he had some aftermarket suspension on the thing - he was sure trying hard. Too hard. More balls than brains. The last hairpin i pushed through pretty hard and in my rear view - i saw a huge cloud of dust where the truck had attempted to negotiate the turn, up on two wheels, he barely got it back and slammed to the the ground HARD, dropping back down all four wheels. Dead stop, sideways in his lane.I continued on my way - as he was fine. Another mile up, the road terminates at the main drag, at a stop sign. I'm waiting at the stop for the traffic to clear and i see the truck approaching, and he stops a good 75 yards behind me. And sits. Until I make my turn. He crawls up to the stop, and turns the other way. That guy is real young , maybe 21, lives in my neighborhood, a vet like me, he doesn't try to race me anymore. Smart. If you live, you can learn.

Lotus Elise #134 - S O L D BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 292whp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/

Last edited by komiko; 10-09-2013 at 04:33 AM.
post #40 of 1093 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Craig View Post
Do I understand this correctly? If you have a $30,000 car you must pay an annual tax of $1,500 on it? If so, I'm shocked.
Yep, and trust me, they value Evora's well in excess of $30K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in