What is the funniest/most stupid comment you ever got? [Part 6] - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 138Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 1093 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 05:37 PM

I lived in Tampa in the late 80's. Used to go to a comedy club every Thursday night, usually without a date, but sometimes with. Got to know everyone that worked at the club, so I used to show up early to talk with them before the show. Since I was there early, I parked right up front. The club had a doorman/security guard for the club, who was supposed to keep an eye on the parking lot in general. He told me once that many people entering the club would ask "Are you just here to guard this car?". He started telling them "yes", but he would also keep an eye on their car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 1093 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 05:49 PM

I bought my Lotus Esprit in 1990, when I was 29 and single. Was single for many years after that, and although I NEVER picked up a woman because of the car, the ones that I dated (class women that dressed well) usually seemed to wear short skirts and no panties when we took the Lotus out for dinner. I was tempted to put the initials "SSPO" on the passenger window, short for "Short skirts, Panties Optional". Maybe I need to thank Richard Gere, Julia Roberts, and "Pretty Woman".
post #103 of 1093 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79JPSBill View Post
I bought my Lotus Esprit in 1990, when I was 29 and single. Was single for many years after that, and although I NEVER picked up a woman because of the car, the ones that I dated (class women that dressed well) usually seemed to wear short skirts and no panties when we took the Lotus out for dinner. I was tempted to put the initials "SSPO" on the passenger window, short for "Short skirts, Panties Optional". Maybe I need to thank Richard Gere, Julia Roberts, and "Pretty Woman".
Pix or it NEVER happened!!!!!

2009 CO Elise SC (R.I.P)
2012 Solar Yellow Evora S
6 spd., 2+2, PB Racing Monza Wheels, Plack Exhaust & one bad ass air freshener (SOLD)

post #104 of 1093 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Race & Pamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79JPSBill View Post
post #105 of 1093 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainford View Post
...called the lotus a slut car....
That is pretty hilarious.

I'd love to see empirical loyalty, utility, pleasure comparison: GF, wife, or significant other vs. car. Esp. Lotus. I could elaborate, but... if you really think about it.

A friend sold his Lotus and bought a Vette (ugh) because his girlfriend didn't like riding in the Lotus. A decision he laments at every turn. Never mind autocross.

If a woman doesn't like my Lotus, she's disqualified.
post #106 of 1093 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_elise View Post
A friend sold his Lotus and bought a Vette (ugh) because his girlfriend didn't like riding in the Lotus. A decision he laments at every turn.
Ha, I sold my C6 to buy an Exige. Wife loved the vette, hates the Exige. Now I ride solo on road trips lol.
Personally, I haven't been more happy with a car ever. Gives me some nice alone time while driving.
post #107 of 1093 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 06:49 AM
jcs

Someone pulled up next to me at a light the other day and yelled for me to roll down my window. His only question was, "How uncomfortable are you right now?"
post #108 of 1093 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 07:05 AM
rus

love this thread ,very funny stuff!...up here in oliphant,on lake huron, the comments are a bit tamer but here are a couple...while funning in my 64 elan s2 i have been asked innumerable times "what kind of miata is that?" [as i also have an 01 miata ls, it has always amused me...after cross training finishes i sometimes have a tightey ask to sit in the drivers seat and enjoy saying "getting in is the real lotus position,forget the yoga" always good for a fone # or at least a laff. happy trails rus
post #109 of 1093 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 07:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_elise View Post
That is pretty hilarious.

I'd love to see empirical loyalty, utility, pleasure comparison: GF, wife, or significant other vs. car. Esp. Lotus. I could elaborate, but... if you really think about it.

A friend sold his Lotus and bought a Vette (ugh) because his girlfriend didn't like riding in the Lotus. A decision he laments at every turn. Never mind autocross.

If a woman doesn't like my Lotus, she's disqualified.
Do me a favor and kindly b!tch slap your friend if you haven't already.

2009 CO Elise SC (R.I.P)
6 spd., 2+2, PB Racing Monza Wheels, Plack Exhaust & one bad ass air freshener (SOLD)
post #110 of 1093 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 07:37 AM

Garage
Last week before I put my car away I hit a kid with a classic I've never had the opportunity to use before. Probably just because nobody has asked this question. He walked by on the sidewalk and didn't say hey, nice car, or anything. This is the entire conversation...

Kid: "6 speed?"
Me: "7 if you count reverse..."

The end. He kept walking and I closed the door and went inside. The shortest Lotus based interaction I have ever had.
post #111 of 1093 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 Elise Freak View Post
Last week before I put my car away I hit a kid with a classic I've never had the opportunity to use before. Probably just because nobody has asked this question. He walked by on the sidewalk and didn't say hey, nice car, or anything. This is the entire conversation...

Kid: "6 speed?"
Me: "7 if you count reverse..."

The end. He kept walking and I closed the door and went inside. The shortest Lotus based interaction I have ever had.

2009 CO Elise SC (R.I.P)
post #112 of 1093 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 11:14 AM

Picking up a bottle of Coke, the clerk says 'Nice car'
Customer behind me spits out 'Ya , for the price of a house'
My reply 'Less expensive than a Corvette' (Z06)
Customers attitude changes immediately 'Oh ya that's a nice car'
That will be my reply from now on.....

2017 Evora 400 - Drop Dead RED
post #113 of 1093 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashanson View Post
Ha, I sold my C6 to buy an Exige. Wife loved the vette, hates the Exige. Now I ride solo on road trips lol.
Personally, I haven't been more happy with a car ever. Gives me some nice alone time while driving.
I can count on one hand the number of times my wife has ridden in the Exige, and still have a couple of fingers left over. Too awkward to get in. To tough to get out. Ride too harsh, etc., etc., etc.

However, she is absolutely thrilled for me that I enjoy it so much, and is genuinely happy to see how much fun I have with it. She actually reminds me now and then "Hey, when does registration open for the next track day? Isn't that this week?"

Yep. She's a keeper.

11 Exige Final Edition - The White Car
87 Ferrari 328 - The Red Car
08 Mazda MX5 - The Black Car
05 Ferrari 430 - The Loud Car
09 VW EOS - The Land Barge
post #114 of 1093 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2seatsonly View Post
I can count on one hand the number of times my wife has ridden in the Exige, and still have a couple of fingers left over. Too awkward to get in. To tough to get out. Ride too harsh, etc., etc., etc.

However, she is absolutely thrilled for me that I enjoy it so much, and is genuinely happy to see how much fun I have with it. She actually reminds me now and then "Hey, when does registration open for the next track day? Isn't that this week?"

Yep. She's a keeper.
Sounds like she is
A: too large to fit the car and
B: only too happy to have you out of the way for a while..
post #115 of 1093 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Asst. Helmet Tester

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravencliff View Post
Sounds like she is
A: too large to fit the car and
B: only too happy to have you out of the way for a while..
HAHAHAHA! Good thing you guys live on opposite sides of the country. Them are fightin' words!

"I think you should name her Pippa, because she's British and has a nice looking rear end."

An ALS Ice Bucket Challenge unlike the rest The ALS Association Golden West Chapter Presents The PanAmerica Crew IBC
The most recent big adventure in the fight against ALS SailingforALS.com
and don't forget the epic charity road trip ThePanAmerica.com
post #116 of 1093 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:11 PM

Garage
At the local pharmacy around 8PM I parked the Esprit right up front of the entrance.

When I came out, a gentleman said:

HE: "Hey, that's a nice Lotus! What year is it?"
ME: "It's an 88 <my usual speil about its great condition being a garage queen with the previous owner, etc.>"
HE: "Nice shape! How many miles now?"
ME: "56K. 26K in 2 years"
HE: "<does the mental math> "Wha? Do you drive it every day?"
ME: "Hey, I'm at the pharmacy, ain't I? Anytime, anywhere"
HE: " Nice!"

As I pulled out, another guy was frantically taking shots. It appeared to be another video shooter.

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #117 of 1093 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Absolute power does what?

Drove mine to work today as I was headed into downtown Boulder (think quaint, small town like) and got a great curb spot right in one of the busiest pedestrian areas. Went to a job interview that went great (and that I really want) - got emails from 4 friends saying they saw it and each one commented how many people were around it and taking pictures. When I left the interview on the way to work I stopped at a red light on pole position. Wasn't really paying much attention but when I look to my left (my window was already down) I see 10-15 construction/road workers (so huge dudes) all stopped staring at me.

Workers: (screaming and yelling)
Me: (smile and start laughing)
Worker: (nods head as if to say "well?")
Me: (rev it a bit and let it bounce off the limiter a few times)
Workers: (now gesturing at the light as if to say "well????")

At that point I figured "f&ck it, I never do this" (and I truly never have) I floored it and dropped the clutch at about 5k revs when the light went green. Smoked the rears and fish tailed down the road a bit with smoke pouring off the tires (as I could see when I looked back). Lifted when I hit the rev limiter in 2nd and looked back to see all 15 of the guys jumping up and down waving like crazy. When I looked up 4 guys were standing around a radio waiting for me waving and jumping around themselves. Gotta say that was a fun and exciting 90 seconds.

And yes I was a [email protected]@ss and shouldn't have done it there - but hell sometimes you just gotta do it. I figured these were a bunch of Harley guys and the only way I'd win them over was to do what I did. And I think I succeed. I may go out of my way tomorrow morning to go through that same intersection to see if I get another reaction!

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z

Last edited by rosscarlson; 11-07-2013 at 10:12 PM. Reason: typos....
post #118 of 1093 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscarlson View Post
[snip] I may go out of my way tomorrow morning to go through that same intersection to see if I get another reaction
Sounds like you won't be able to top that one - they'll be bummed out
----
Just noticed tonight as I got home - under the garage lights, it appeared that someone keyed my Esprit - 2 light, but long scratches (about 10 in scratch rear quarter passenger panel, 4 in scratch on passenger front fender).

Luckily a little wax/cleaner minimized the scratches and it looks OK.

That was the good news - the bad news was it happened at my work place parking lot. Now, I can't rule out a coworker, but our parking campus is 'open' due to a public park at the front.

There are many non-employees that walk through the parking area for fitness (it's a circular lot about 1 mile circumference) and end up at the park.

Something else to be on the look out, but at work?

Eddie B
87 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
post #119 of 1093 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Absolute power does what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekgt View Post
Good point, I suppose I should leave them wanting more as how could I top that (and I'd be unwilling to do it again no matter what).

Quote:
Just noticed tonight as I got home - under the garage lights, it appeared that someone keyed my Esprit - 2 light, but long scratches (about 10 in scratch rear quarter passenger panel, 4 in scratch on passenger front fender).

That was the good news - the bad news was it happened at my work place parking lot. Now, I can't rule out a coworker, but our parking campus is 'open' due to a public park at the front.

There are many non-employees that walk through the parking area for fitness (it's a circular lot about 1 mile circumference) and end up at the park.

That is a complete WTF and I'm so bummed to hear you say that. My office moved to an office park out in the sticks last week so today was the first time I drove the car to work. While I didn't love that it was just out in an open lot I could see it from my desk all day. I always hated driving it to the old office as it meant an offsite multistory carpark. Really hope it's not a jealous co-workers, are you an @sshole usually and do people not like you??

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #120 of 1093 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 02:49 AM

Quote:
----

Any chance that it was not deliberate. Maybe some senior walking by using your car to steady themselves? Maybe a scratch from a purse or jewelry?

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in