The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

When people ask you what kind of car it is...

5K views 54 replies 40 participants last post by  Motard 
#1 ·
When people ask you what kind of car it is, do you say "it's a Lotus" or "it's an Elise/Exige"?

Personally, I say "it's a Lotus." But 9 times out of 10 the very next question is "Who makes it?" Really?

#42 ·
it's also fun to sit in the burger king and watch a person/persons try to figure out who has the lotus.
i'm usually the last to be expected as i'm an old fart.
i have a handicap card and when i park in a handicap spot i get funny looks.
sometimes i'm asked "what's your handicap" i tell them "parking".
sam

#45 ·
:clap:

Alright, British slang lesson #1

Crease me up = Crack me up or make me laugh

Well the rest is the way you lot speak :D

If your gonna drive a British motor then you need to understand what we're chatting about... :UK:

(I love you US lot really otherwise I wouldn't be residing here)

#46 ·
what we're chatting about
Should that be what you're going on about? :)

#48 ·
I don't mind the questions, lack of knowledge, stares, photos, etc...heck man, that is a great deal of the fun owning the little heathen!!!
I just answer its a Lotus, made by Lotus in England, and answer any other questions they may have no matter how silly or trivial they may seem to me. I realize most questions come out of some amount of admiration of the car and I don't want to add to the perception that folks with unique or rare cars are stuck up elitists. I guess I want ot be a good ambassador!
Peace!

#52 ·
Lol People are just ignorant as hell. As a seperate example cause I dont have a lotus..yet. I had an 83 CJ8 I had rebuilt and was out tooling around and while at a red light a guy in a wrangler pulled next to me. We exchanged nods then he yells what kind of wrangler is that? Thankfully the light turned green and I just drove off shaking my head. So I can only image the blank stares people give you in a lotus.

#55 · (Edited)
Honestly I have yet to grow weary of it. I love it and the more they inquire the better the opportunity for me to explain to them why it's cool beyond it's looks. I actually do think of it as a kit car in at least one operational definition and it's an attribute in my mind. Of course it's a Brand etc...

The questions do fall in certain heuristics and when I get to "Is it an Elise ?" although a rare question it excites me that the individual went more than 2 or 3 clickes in studying Lotus already. There are not many of these tiny dancers where I live, and there is only one degree of separation here only in this town...

My hope is enough kids get hot for Lotus that in 10 years we will see more Lotus cruising around my town in small part because of my car tooling the streets every week today !

I would'nt trade for any other car near it's class. It is a piece of art, and "Art does not apologize"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.