Who has had a flat tire - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Who has had a flat tire

It would be interesting to hear how the experience went.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 05:09 AM

I've had the same thought. I'm going to do another cross country trip in the Elise this summer so it's been on the back of my mind as well.

Babak
Club111 Central Plains Coordinator

'05 Elise - Touring, HT, StarShield
'99 Ducati 996 Bip
'05 Freelander SE
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 05:34 AM

Picked up a drywall screw. Tire flattened that night. I screwed it in tighter, reinflated, judged it safe to drive short distance, and nervously took it to the dealer in the morning (short few minute drive). They curiously had a [email protected] of a time getting the new tire to bead (took almost 2 hours of fussing). Other than that - no problems. Was lucky to get an AO48 as this was when there was a shortage about 6 months ago.

Wouldn't want to have a blowout in the New Mexico desert though...

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 06:50 AM

I had almost the same exact experience as Chris Starr, except I knew mine was punctured the night before, but it was too late to do anything about it. Having a dealer within a 10 minute drive is a BIG help.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 07:15 AM

I've had two. In each case, I was fortunate enough to have access to tools and another car. I just took off the wheel and hauled it to Les Schwab for a patch. No charge.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 07:25 AM

I got a 1 1/2" screw stuck in my tire once. It didn't leak though. When I noticed it I went to get it patched up. It cost me 25$
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 08:14 AM

I hit a bad expansion joint on the interstate, going about 85 on a brand new set of 048's (LSS shocks; correct OE tire pressure). One of the back tires virtually exploded. When we took it off, it was clear the sidewall had split and separated where it joins the tread carcass.

It defintely was a hard bump, but should not have caused anything like that.

Tire Rack was sympathetic, but of course those tires have no warranty. I called Yoko, but they didn't even return my calls.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 08:18 AM

I had three go out at one time. I called my brother who came by with my Range Rover and we put the Elise in the back of the truck and hauled it home.

---------------------------------------------
Present
2006 Lamborghini Gallardo 6-Speed-Rosso Leto
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged-Winter Beater
2006 BMW 750i 19" Sport Wheels BK/BK-Daily
2001 Lexus RX300-Winter Beater
Past
2005 Lotus Elise Sport & Touring Package-Sold
2001 Mercedes-Benz S500 Sport AMG-Sold
2000 Boxster S Heavily Modified-Sold
---------------------------------------------
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 08:28 AM

I guess it would be wise to plan ahead if you are going to make a long extended journey through desolate areas. Maybe find the nearest high performance tire shops in the cities along the way and nearest Lotus dealers. Mini owners are in the same boat from what I understand, no spare and runflats or fix-a-flat are the only options !

I was thinking of making a run out to see my mom in Prescott AZ, from LA in the spring or fall and there are some looong stretches of nothing. And the gas stations I saw on the way last time ,would look at the Elise as if a UFO just landed !

Any advice if you are in a situation where you are left with no choice but to deal with a small town Bubba's tire and bait shop type place? My concerns would be

1. Jack points, even with a good floor jack you can easily punch a hole in the panels

2. NOT using an air hammer on the lug nuts to remove or replace

3. Torque the lug nuts to the proper spec when remounting, I think the manual said you could damage the brake rotors or such with improper torque?

But I could just imagine the "what kind of LA assh*&$ do we have here ?" look I would get if I was standing over their shoulder with my manual , ugh that would NOT be fun ! On the other hand I guess if you found a cool kid or such at a station they would get a thrill out of it and be patient with you.

Last edited by delise; 02-01-2007 at 09:14 AM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 08:36 AM

Screws or nails in the "side" of the tire are unfixable according the great guys at Globe Tires Redondo Beach across from South Bay Lotus, though it's still worth the try to have them pull it out.

Screws or nails in the center of the tires (my AO48's, I don't know about other tires) ARE fixable.

I carry two inflators at all times in my trunk wrapped in foam. I've used these and they work great to get you going again.

Any major flats that can't be reinflated you'll need a flatbed tow truck.

My flat was fixed at Globe for free the first time, the second time I was ready for new tires anyway and Lotus suggests replacing all four when you do, so I did...at 7000 (gulp!) miles. But these are AO48s!

Man does the new set feel GREAT!
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:08 AM

Still have a nail in my front tire. Picked up a screw that eventually flew out and I used the can of fix-a-flat that comes in the trunk... that's been working great for 4,000 miles. Nial at HRM actually told me I could run it like that permanently (or until I need new tires).
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:11 AM

Yeah, my car drove fine with the screw in the tire. Can't track it under those circumstances....
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delise
Mini owners are in the same boat from what I understand, no spare and runflats or fix-a-flat are the only options !
I thought only the factory turbocharged Mini's didn't have a spare. I have an RX-8 and it does not come standard with a spare. It does come with a fit a flat kit. You can buy a spare as a factory option, but it takes up about 60% of the trunk.

But I've wondered the same question when I've taken long trips in my RX-8. What would I do if I got a flat? Probably just call AAA with a flat-bed?
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:15 AM

AND...the fix a flat that comes with the car in the trunk when you buy it is pretty much useless. Need to get a nice big can and wrap it in foam and put it in the trunk when you buy the car along with some microfiber towels you'll keep under your passenger seat for those really misty mornings!
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:29 AM

i got one in a week old rear - the tyre weld just weeped out from under the tyre and made a big foaming puddle on the ground - flat bedded 50 miles by lotus assistance to a stealer, picked it up the following day.

you would be buggered if you were out in the middle of knowhere with a 'big' puncture.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:31 AM

Just 'ONE' in last 100 years!

Just once, I had a very large nail screwed in my rear tire back in spring 05. I was in XCountry trip somewhere in TN. Surprisely no air leak! but I took it to a closest local tire shop and they fixed it by patcking from the outside. No problem since.

The funny part was when I pulled to the front gate of this shop, obviously everybody came out to look and one of them asked: "What the heel is this???!"
We had about 20' chatting with all mechanics talking about the Elise . Then I teased asking if they have seen one like Her before. The older one quickly responded: " Not in the last 100 years!!"
We all laughted then I took a souvenir photoshot with them. Nice people. They didn't even charged me anything for the repair.
I just find this story cool to cheer! :-)

Last edited by climb4fun; 02-01-2007 at 12:08 PM. Reason: add a title
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:47 AM

I got a flat and actully bent a rim it sucked nothing you can do though except call a flat bed unfurtunatly it happened to me on christmass eve spent a couple hours on the side of the road waiting for a truck

SOLD: 05 Elise Starlight Black w/ Black: Touring - LSS W/Black Wheels - Hard top - Starsheild - Lotus ECU Upgrade - Arqray Double Tip Exhuast w/ Sport Cat - Alpine Stereo - JBL Speakers - K40 Radar/Laser System - Braille Battery - 4Tress Hatness Bar - Schroth 4 Point Harness' - RTD Brace - Challenger Rear Grill - CF Rear Diffuser - CF Front Spoiler/Splitter - CF Side Scoops - Sector111 Trunk Bootie
www.AdcockBros.com
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 10:27 AM
xtn

I won't put fixaflat in my tires. I carry the tiniest powered inflator I found at Walmart, which also serves for trackside usage, and carry a plug kit along with it.

xtn

2006 McLareghini Bugatterrari, Storm Titanium... installed: air horn, Scroth 4-point ASM harnesses, Sector111 halon extinguisher and mounting bracket, Von Hep exhaust and rear panel delete, Pagid brake pads, red Volks CE28n wheels, Toyo RA-1 tires, Nitron SA coilovers, Sector111 (WorksBell) quick-disconnect steering wheel kit. awaiting installation: Scroth "pull-up" lap belts, Sector111 RTD Brace, Tony's heater bypass mod, and dropped steering rack mounting plates.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climb4fun
Just once, I had a very large nail screwed in my rear tire back in spring 05. I was in XCountry trip somewhere in TN. Surprisely no air leak! but I took it to a closest local tire shop and they fixed it patcking it from the outside. No problem since.

The funny part was when I pulled to the front gate of this shop, obviously everybody came out to look and one of them asked: "What the heel is this???!"
We had about 20' chatting with all mechanics talking about the Elise . Then I teased asking if they have seen one like Her before. The older one quickly responded: " Not in the last 100 years!!"
We all laughted then I took a souvenir photoshot with them. Nice people. They didn't even charged me anything for the repair.
I just find this story cool to cheer! :-)
Did they have to remove the tire to patch it? If so did they use an air wrench and did they torque to spec, and jack at jack points?
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 10:59 AM

Interesting. While I know logically I could have patched it and it would have lasted just fine, I just paid for the new AO48 knowing how hard I like to drive and corner and I would just hate that little niggle in the back of my mind about the plug in the left rear... Apparently I'm weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in