The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

WTB: Interior Light

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Dietsch Werks 
#1 ·
Got one from the dealer and it is a totally different style. Wouldn't bother me so much but the connections are different. Guess I will if I cannot find the original rocker type. New one comes with a cool LED bulb and all...........

#5 ·
i'm going to be getting one of the new style ones today and will face the same issue. I plan on discovering what it takes to make the new one work.

My annoyance is more with how the old one broke- when pulling apart the interior 3 of the 4 clips that hold it in place tore off. Hopefully it was because the part is old, not something that happens every time the interior is taken out.

#7 ·
I like the new part better, mostly. Metal tabs won't break going forward, and it does work with 12v. I'm planning to cut the old connector off- if you cannot get the old part, I think there is little chance of someone needing the connector moving forward. If a common "slot" tab fits in each position I may change my mind.

The thing i don't like, it looks like if you manipulate the button a lot, the LED will rotate out of position

#8 ·
I ended up making a harness. It was easy but more work than expected.

I was able to find female quick disconnects for the light in the right sizes at the local hardware store. The bigger one is .250" the other ones are the smallest ones I could find. (.110" I think)

For plugging into the existing connector I ended up taking the rest of the smaller female disconnects I had and smashing them flat. The .250" male disconnects are too wide and narrowing them also means they end up losing thickness. The .187" male disconnects, I did not think would stay in the harness because they are too thin. Flattening the female .110" connectors made them a hair wider, and thick enough I was confident they would stay in the factory connector.

After than all I had to do was figure out which wire needed to go to the "common" side on the light, so that I either had 12v all the time, or just when the door was open.

#9 ·
Funny I just did it today

used 1/4 on the fixture end, 3/16 on the harness end

Bent the 3/16 because they were too thin to stay in the connector. IOW giving them a twist makes them bind properly in the connector housing

Still a PITA and Lotus ought to sell us something that works out of the box

And I still want an old one

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.