Wtb: upgraded elise muffler - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By lotus72Eur

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Wtb: upgraded elise muffler

Want to buy an upgraded(I.e. louder) muffler for an elise that fits through stock exhaust opening(so no side exit). Obvious choice seems to be stage 2, but open to other options.

Thanks!
Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:21 PM
glb

I seem to remember complaints about the stage 2: Hwy droning for one.

Just keep what you have (muffler, money).

How to Search:

For future reference: Don't use the search on this site. Simply use Google and end the search text with "site:lotustalk.com". E.g.
Transmission Fluid change what bolt site:lotustalk.com no space betw site:lotustalk.com

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:00 PM

Inokinetic: Sonic fury - is your best option if you want a bit louder than stock. Stage 2 has horrible drone. These are drone free. Check out the link.
https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/son...tegory=Exhaust

Currently:
2005 Lotus Elise
2015 Audi A3 Wife's car
2012 Toyota Prius C Daily Commuter
Sold:
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2003 350z Touring
2006 Eclipse GT

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy05 View Post
Inokinetic: Sonic fury - is your best option if you want a bit louder than stock. Stage 2 has horrible drone. These are drone free. Check out the link.
https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/son...tegory=Exhaust
Wow- that looks amazing! However, it’s significantly over what I am budgeting for this little exercise! Anyone know of a used sonic fury???
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:10 PM
German Reimport

Larini Sport mufflers fit your requirements and they come up for sale every now and then here on the forum

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:55 PM
The Enforcer

I had the Stage 3 on the Exige S when I purchased it. I didn't think it was that loud, but some do. It exits through the stock opening in the diffuser. I'd advise you to listen to whatever you're going to purchase. Opinions on exhausts are just that.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons

Last edited by oldmansan; 05-21-2019 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Added information
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:56 PM

I have a Larini Sport Exhaust that was on my 2008 Lotus Elise SC. It was installed by the previous owner of the car somewhere during his ownership which means it has less than 4,000 miles of use. I'm willing to part with it for $300. Any shipping costs to be paid by buyer. PM me if you're interested and I'll send you pictures.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeLotus View Post
I have a Larini Sport Exhaust that was on my 2008 Lotus Elise SC. It was installed by the previous owner of the car somewhere during his ownership which means it has less than 4,000 miles of use. I'm willing to part with it for $300. Any shipping costs to be paid by buyer. PM me if you're interested and I'll send you pictures.
Does the Larini sport have the same volume as the stage 2? I compared YouTube videos and the larini seems a bit quieter, but I don’t know if that is due to the camera used...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:01 PM

I wish I knew the answer. :-( All I know is that on the videos I've seen of various Larini exhausts, they all sound very loud to me, at both high and low RPMs. I don't think I've ever heard of somebody describing a Larini exhaust as quiet or more quiet than some other exhaust. The alleged issue with Larini is the drone (I say alleged only because I never actually had a chance to listen to the Larini on my car since it was removed right after I purchased it and before it was delivered to me). I swapped it out for a Sonic Fury exhaust at the recommendation of Shinoo at Inokinetic, and I'm extremely please with it. I kept the Larini exhaust just in case I wasn't happy with the Sonic Fury exhaust, but since I'm happy with it, the Larini exhaust has sat in a box in a closet for the past 9 months. That's why I'm willing to part with it.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Bump. After a lot of internet searching and YouTube viewing, Iíve narrowed my search to a stage 2 exhaust. Iím flexible, but hoping to keep price around $300 or so(shipped to 60010), if possible.

Please: stop making me drive around in such a quiet car and start making my neighbors hate me!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:19 AM

I just sent you a PM. Let me know if you didn't receive it.

1974 Europa Twin Cam (gone but not forgotten)
1971 Europa S2 (owned but two months; flipped to raise funds to fill gap in college tuition)
35 years of restraint (including an Odyssey with 13 cupholders)
2005 Elise (magnetic blue), starshield, chin guards, Penske nonajustable shocks (BWR), Mishimoto sandwich plate, AEM oil temp and pressure gauges, third brake light flasher, Larini Group B silencer, Sector 111 DSBrace
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:40 AM

The stage 2 is much louder than my Larini B, which is why I moved to the the larini. This photo is looking down the inlet pipe for my old stage 2. See the gap in the thing at the bottom of the pipe? I noticed the part you can see at the bottom of the pipe moves around. Is it supposed to? Or is it broken? Assuming it is not supposed to move, is it a problem if it does? Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me (that would be most everyone here!) can opine? The gentleman is interested in acquiring it, but I don’t want to send him something that is not ok, thanks for any input. The rest of it looks fine. Just too loud for me. I went from it to stock, then later “settled” on larini b. Not cheap, but I am now where I want to be.
Attached Images

1971 Europa S2 (owned but two months; flipped to raise funds to fill gap in college tuition)
2005 Elise (magnetic blue), starshield, chin guards, Penske nonajustable shocks (BWR), Mishimoto sandwich plate, AEM oil temp and pressure gauges, third brake light flasher, Larini Group B silencer, Sector 111 DSBrace
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Michael View Post
The stage 2 is much louder than my Larini B, which is why I moved to the the larini. This photo is looking down the inlet pipe for my old stage 2. See the gap in the thing at the bottom of the pipe? I noticed the part you can see at the bottom of the pipe moves around. Is it supposed to? Or is it broken? Assuming it is not supposed to move, is it a problem if it does? Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me (that would be most everyone here!) can opine? The gentleman is interested in acquiring it, but I don’t want to send him something that is not ok, thanks for any input. The rest of it looks fine. Just too loud for me. I went from it to stock, then later “settled” on larini b. Not cheap, but I am now where I want to be.
Thanks so much for the transparency, Kevin- once again reminded of how great fellow lotus owners are! Can anyone comment on the above question? Also, please let me know if there are any others with stage 2 (or other upgraded exhaust that exits through bottom of diffuser) available!!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:48 AM

Stage 2

Max & Kevin.

Max, sent you a pm about me might having a stage 2 stored away.

Kevin, if I do have one I will check it out for you.

Tomorrow is the earliest I can get to it.

"It always seems to be something!"
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:58 AM

Red face Stage 2 exhause

If the deal with Kevin doesn't work out, I have pulled the muffler out of my attic and attached a couple of pictures. I believe this might be a stage two but not sure.
Attached Images

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus72Eur View Post
If the deal with Kevin doesn't work out, I have pulled the muffler out of my attic and attached a couple of pictures. I believe this might be a stage two but not sure.

Looks like a stage 2 to me. I am curious - does the piece at the bottom of the inlet tube on yours move around? Just want to know if mine is faulty.

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:38 AM

Kevin,

I checked the part you are referencing and that piece is not loose and appears to be tack welded in place. I sent you a message to your other post concerning this. If you need me to look further I have the muffler out in my garage.
scribo likes this.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:

Kevin,

I checked the part you are referencing and that piece is not loose and appears to be tack welded in place. I sent you a message to your other post concerning this. If you need me to look further I have the muffler out in my garage.
Thanks. Sorry to have missed that. Seems to make more sense for Max to buy yours and not have to mess around with trying to fix the broken weld. Okay?

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Michael View Post
Quote:
[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/LotusTalk_2015/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png[/IMG]
Kevin,

Thanks. Sorry to have missed that. Seems to make more sense for Max to buy yours and not have to mess around with trying to fix the broken weld. Okay?
Kevin, thanks again for the transparency- it’s folks like you that make the lotus community a special group!

Lotus72Eur: I have shot you a pm regarding your exhaust.

Thanks both!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Parts Market > Parts Wanted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in