Bets on the first magazine camparison?!? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
View Poll Results: First magazine comparison will be...
Elise vs. Boxster 33 55.00%
Elise vs. S2000 23 38.33%
Elise vs. Z4 4 6.67%
Elise vs. a Seven 0 0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxotic
I hate to say this- Lotus vs newly redesigned Mustang GT convertible sounds like something that some magazine might do now that their is no Camaro to compare it with.
no way they'll compare it with a domestic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 04:45 PM

Usually magazines compare cars based on price and comparable performance figures. Most likely I see it competing against Boxsters S and S2000. The Elise will blow both the Porsche and Honda away. When you start getting into the bigger car's I donít think its going to compete as well especially GT3, Z06, 360 are very close to approaching super car speeds. Unless they test them on a small track where theses cars cant flex their muscle. (Which would defeat the purpose). I am curious to see if BMW will release a Z4M.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 05:19 PM

I'm with xxxotic... I bet they'll compare it to a mustang. But I suspect they'll put it up against the Cobra. They'll avoid picking a winner, saying that for the money, they're both great cars. The cobra handles much better than it used to, blah blah, but the Elise beats it in the corners still. But the Cobra outaccelerates the Elise. Etc. Etc.

I think they'll do this just cause of the price range.

Cade

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Willy B
I think from a price/performance mid-engined, European car, the Boxster will be the most compared. It would be fun to see it up against the big boys from Porsche and Ferrari just to see what a car half or a quarter the cost could do. Simply because of its limited production and Lotus name it will be compared with other exotics and not the S2000, Miata, MR2, Z4, TT etc.

Does anyone know which cars it gets compared to in the European mags?
Sorry if I'm wrong, but aren't there less S2000s produced than Boxsters?

I'm guessing the S2000 for the comparison. (Note spelling). No way on a Mustang! Not in the same class.

2002 Gray Kia Rio (Beater)
2002 Spa Yellow S2000 FOR SALE!
2006 Toyota Matrix
2005 Elise, looking for a SY or CO with a HT and TP in the NC area.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 06:47 PM

My bet is the Boxster S, an S2000 could hold its own against a Boxster but in comparison with a Boxster S the S2000 always took second place. If you think about it its not such a bad deal 50k for the Elise considering a Boxster S is in the neighborhood of 60K. My opinion it is going head to head with the Boxster S and Elise will be a bargain.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 09:51 AM

The obvious one, isnt a choice, Vette. The Box copuldn't compete nor the front engined S2000. GT3 would be an interesting match on a real track with good drivers. Do not underestimate the ability to do 10+mph faster on turns in regards to time. It takes a lot of HP to make up for not being able to carry that additional speed around turns.

2006 Exige Chrome Orange
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 02:02 PM

Either way you look at it, the Elise wins!

If they use comparably priced sports cars (like the Boxster, TT or Z4), the Elise will win all performance categories.

If they use comparably performing sports cars (like the GT3 or Modena or Viper [based on lap times]), the Elise will win on price.

You can't loose with an Elise!

2007 Exige S - Krypton Green - VF Stage 2 - RLS Intercooler - Volk TE37s - B&M Shifter - 2bular header & exhaust - Sector111 motorsport engine mounts - stripes - harnesses - Pagid pads - Green air filter
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 05:57 PM

I cannot remember what magazine it was but a few months ago a European sports car magazine had a shoot out. The Elise was one of the contenders that didnít make because it was out of the leagues of the bigger cars. If any one recalls what magazine it was they said it was an excellent performer for price per value but on the track they were testing it wouldnít compete and therefore it didnít make the cut.

I think overall as a performance sports car it going to break a lot of records and set a benchmark for how a car should perform around a track. However once the car magazines start to dissect the car in terms of quality build it wont win.
Europeans are not as picky they donít car about electric windows, cup holders or a 10-year warranty. In Europe the Elise was popular from the gecko it is small and compact and packs a powerful engine.

Perfect example in Europe the Esprit gets some of the best write ups for performance and value. I cant even remember an article of an Esprit that was written after 1997 when the Lotus V8 twin turbo was released, it was 2nd fastest car in the Motor Trend shoot out, it blew through the 1/4 mile in 11 sec and was clocked at 183 mph. Now I cant even find an Esprit article in the states, it almost as if the car disappeared after 1997. If it is such an excellent performer it should be a lot more popular. Especially when Mercedes, BMW and Porsche dealers are selling cars almost 2x the price of an Esprit.

Lotus has always managed to find the true enthusiasts that could appreciate a true sports car at great value. If you think about it, it works out great for all of us. After all who here really wants an Elise to become as common as a Boxster.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by excesss
Perfect example in Europe the Esprit gets some of the best write ups for performance and value. I cant even remember an article of an Esprit that was written after 1997 when the Lotus V8 twin turbo was released, it was 2nd fastest car in the Motor Trend shoot out, it blew through the 1/4 mile in 11 sec and was clocked at 183 mph. Now I cant even find an Esprit article in the states, it almost as if the car disappeared after 1997. If it is such an excellent performer it should be a lot more popular. Especially when Mercedes, BMW and Porsche dealers are selling cars almost 2x the price of an Esprit.
It's worth noting that I can think of very few cars that have as little headroom as an Esprit (34.6")- at 6'2" I have no prayer of being able to drive one without tilting my head, and I fit in a Miata just fine. Even an Acura NSX, another very tiny cockpit car, has nearly 2" more headroom than the Esprit...

And, of course, since the world revolves around me, that's why the Esprit didn't get more coverage in the U.S. press... Yep! That's it!

-Knute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus in the Media

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in