Elise vs. 4C comparison - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Elise vs. 4C comparison

Check out my daughter's comparison review on the Elise vs. the 4C.

GirlsDriveFastToo | 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Coupe Goes Head-To-Head With The Lotus Elise

Ron Avery
Winnetka Ca
2005 Lotus Elise
2011 Lotus Evora 2+0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 08:43 PM

Great read! Liked the video as well!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 10:31 PM

Good Review ! Cars really are an extension of the people driving them. Well, most people, that is. I cannot understand when someone tells me that they don't care about the car they're driving ; as long as it takes them from A to B. . Picking and choosing a car is half the fun for me

Funny : she mentions that, "if you don't look back after parking the car, you've purchased the wrong car".... that's exactly what I do EVERY time I park my Elise : I look back at it

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 02:54 AM

I was very impressed with her writing style. Well done!

In addition the review was quite interesting.

However for me, as long as there are true manual transmissions available I could never buy a dual clutch car.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 03:57 AM

I like the upgraded interior in that Elise!

Having never seen the 4C in person I'm still excited about the possibility of picking one up. Regardless of how I feel after seeing/driving I'm glad there are still car companies producing these low volume niche cars for us...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 04:35 AM

Garage
its funny that all the reviews of the alfa say things that echo things about the elise

small, awkward ingress/egress, complaints about interior, raw/great steering input, sticks to the road, exciting etc, etc, etc

Lotus Elise '05 Graphite Grey; Miles: 41,xxx
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 12:55 PM
Lotus Hopeful

Nice review Thanks for sharing, Ron.

And that's a really nice interior on the Elise!

Fight ON!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 03:40 PM

I've driven them both. The Alfa is awesome. "Collect them ALL!"

The new owner of RLS is Austin, you can contact him at: Austin0Barrett <<<< @ >>>> gmail <<<< dot >>>> com
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 09:48 AM

NIcely done. Just look at how much of the Elise design the Alfa blatantly ripped off!
Compare an Exige S to the Alfa BTW.

As a former owner of a 164L which was a great car, I hope they get it right, but... given that Fiat and Chrysler are in cahoots I'm not so sure.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtian View Post
Good Review ! Cars really are an extension of the people driving them. Well, most people, that is. I cannot understand when someone tells me that they don't care about the car they're driving ; as long as it takes them from A to B. . Picking and choosing a car is half the fun for me

Funny : she mentions that, "if you don't look back after parking the car, you've purchased the wrong car".... that's exactly what I do EVERY time I park my Elise : I look back at it
Those people drive Camry's. Only reason they'd ever look back is to see the parking slot # so they don't get in wrong car.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 12:05 PM
IWantALotusNOW

I've not driven a 4C, but the woman I spoke with "took" hers from her husband. I'd say that at least for her there was something desirable about the car that made her want it. My guess is the sound, considering she roared away in front of a large crowd.

Why the negativity regarding the car? It's an Elise built with modern safety standards in mind. The gain of 400 or 500 pounds to achieve that seems reasonable. The Miata is closing in on the Elise weight, and that also complies fully with modern safety standards.

Great quote about looking back.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 01:58 PM

Enjoyed watching the video. Very concise and informative.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 06:31 PM

Great read. Thanks for sharing. That 4c is dead sexy.!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 07:12 PM
boxerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantALotusNOW View Post
I've not driven a 4C, but the woman I spoke with "took" hers from her husband. I'd say that at least for her there was something desirable about the car that made her want it. My guess is the sound, considering she roared away in front of a large crowd.

Why the negativity regarding the car? It's an Elise built with modern safety standards in mind. The gain of 400 or 500 pounds to achieve that seems reasonable. The Miata is closing in on the Elise weight, and that also complies fully with modern safety standards.

Great quote about looking back.
Lest see , poor ride, awkward handling on the limit, not such great steering.
Elise, well sorted ride, sublime handling, great steerign, bucket of botlts sounding engine.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 07:45 AM

NEW Miata dropped 300lbs btw. Nothing against it , just without any American quality control, a FIAT aka Alfa is a scary proposition. Realize Chrysler has, by far, the most bottom of the barrel vehicles in the entire industry in reliability, build quality etc reviews. 2 bad companies don't somehow end up having a healthy spawn (Alfa). Hell 2?3 of the 5?6 Guilas in its test fleet have died already

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 07:56 AM
Less is Better

Honestly, as a Lotus owner, I'm not going to throw any reliability stones at anyone. If for no other reason than to avoid jinxing myself.
David Craig likes this.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 08:39 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerman View Post
Lest see , poor ride, awkward handling on the limit, not such great steering.
Elise, well sorted ride, sublime handling, great steerign, bucket of botlts sounding engine.
The handling is fine on the 4C. I had one for 2 yrs and developed quite a few upgrades for it: HERE. The car needs to have a proper alignment (like the Elise) and then it is superb. The ride comfort of a Sport Pack Elise is worse than the 4C. The 4C has better fit and finish. The 4C delivers torque in bucket loads.

To me, it splits the difference between an Elise and an Evora. It is a fun car and certainly one that every enthusiasts should drive. If I had to pick only one car? Elise would be my choice.

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:29 AM

Garage
I test drove a 4C and it was a blast! It was a special order unit here in Vegas with a "track Pack?" Not sure but it also had a carbon fiber roof and tons of cool things the other 4C's on the lot didn't have. Unfortunately a 4C is not in the cards for me right now or I would have jumped on it. Since it was a special order that wasn't picked up they were selling it for right at the cost of the others. Would have been a good deal.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:29 AM

Got rid of my elise then moved to porsche now on to 4c.

4c is similar to elise, but as shinoo put it, better fit and finish- more exotic with exposed cf tubs (just like aluminium exposed inside like elise) and massive torque (not figuratively but car being superlight, it really kicks you everytime you put your foot on the pedal) . thought that I would not like the dct transmission but now that i have it and been driving around, my hands are very busy with steering input enough to forget about the shift change. Also DCT might not be the fastest in the market but it is super quick.

I have optional alfa race exhaust (essentially no muffler, just straight pipes) sounds super nice but super loud. also have track packs.

In terms of handling, it is really very similar to elise/exiege not better nor worse. In terms of available aftermarket support, pretty similar to lotus but since it is quite limited and new, companies are still developing.

HP figures and Tq figures are established and published very low. A lot of 4c owners have dynoed and readings are a whole lot higher than what Alfa has advertised. With the simple replacement ecu, it pushes quite high numbers without much work.

overall I love it. However, once the 400 is made available in canada, I will switch to 400.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
NEW Miata dropped 300lbs btw. Nothing against it , just without any American quality control, a FIAT aka Alfa is a scary proposition. Realize Chrysler has, by far, the most bottom of the barrel vehicles in the entire industry in reliability, build quality etc reviews. 2 bad companies don't somehow end up having a healthy spawn (Alfa). Hell 2?3 of the 5?6 Guilas in its test fleet have died already
Just to be precise, 4c isnt built in America. 4C is built in Modena, Italy by Maserati unlike Guilia .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus in the Media

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in