Interesting article on Victor Kiam/Proton/Lotus - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Interesting article on Victor Kiam/Proton/Lotus

Not that Victor Kiam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 08:10 PM

"active valve actuation" ala ducati desmo?

Babak
Club111 Central Plains Coordinator

'05 Elise - Touring, HT, StarShield
'99 Ducati 996 Bip
'05 Freelander SE
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 09:17 AM

My understanding is that they are working on electrically operated valves. Eliminates camshaft and provides total adjustability to lift, duration, etc.

Apparently the challenges come from magnetic interference from the massive solenoids required, and from the fact that the valves tend to destroy themselves because they "slam" open and closed. The ability to do this is one of the drivers behind the move toward higher voltage electical systems. I believe that BMW is working on it also.

So not similar to Ducati Desmos, but trying to accomplish some of the same things. Pretty wicked stuff.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:23 AM

That would be very exciting, higher rpms, wider power curves. The desmo drive has helped Ducks' twins (and their torque) stay competitive in a world of inline fours with higher power curves.

Babak
Club111 Central Plains Coordinator

'05 Elise - Touring, HT, StarShield
'99 Ducati 996 Bip
'05 Freelander SE
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffersonRaley
Apparently the challenges come from magnetic interference from the massive solenoids required, and from the fact that the valves tend to destroy themselves because they "slam" open and closed. The ability to do this is one of the drivers behind the move toward higher voltage electical systems. I believe that BMW is working on it also.
Actually, Siemens has been researching electromechanical valves for some time, and while I am unfamiliar with the current state of their project, back in 2000 they had a software controlled solenoid system that allowed "soft landings" of the valve. (The system was capable of positional encoding, and could decelerate the valve as it reached the target position)

In a very different field, I am also familiar with extensive research into artificial heart design, in which power efficiency (heat dissipation and power supply capacity are both major constraints) was found to be optimal if the solenoid acted as quickly as possible. In other words, the shorter the duration of the positioning pulse, the less power required to facilitate the change of state. This is a little bit counter-intuitive, but when activated VERY quickly, it is actually possible to recapture some of the energy during the deceleration phase of the positioning; it acts like a generator, and the net power requirement is reduced.

I don't know how Siemens addressed the issue of holding the valve in a given position; there must be some kind of locking mechanism, because the efficiency of using the magnetic coil to hold the valve would be very, very low.

I have also heard of a system that BMW was experimenting with for Formula 1, in which the valves were pneumatically operated.

-Knute
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Knute
I have also heard of a system that BMW was experimenting with for Formula 1, in which the valves were pneumatically operated.

-Knute
Renault used pneumatically operated valves on their very successful F1 V-10 engines about 10 years ago.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 08:53 PM
insert clever title here

I think the technology has advanced to the necessary state for this to function, but the obstacle will always be PRICE. It's tough to beat the cost of a simple pair (well, for a 4-cyl) of machined aluminum rods spinning around with a few other mechanical bits thrown in the mix...

'05 Elise, Magnetic Blue / Biscuit / Hardtop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus in the Media

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in