LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   Lotus in the Media (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f307/)
-   -   Lotus Elise Submarine offered by (who else?) Hammacher Schlemmer! (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f307/lotus-elise-submarine-offered-who-else-hammacher-schlemmer-264801/)

3carmonte 10-20-2014 02:04 PM

Lotus Elise Submarine offered by (who else?) Hammacher Schlemmer!

3 Attachment(s)
I already called their customer service department about the "steel chassis" description. When you offer "The best, the Only and the unexpected for 166 years", the pursuit of accuracy is expected!-poke-rotfl
This is a big source of pride for Lotus (and especially the Elise) because it's Hammacher's "flagship" gift suggestion for the 2014 holidays! I wonder who is making it for them? (I hope the photo's work. I don't have a scanner).

road racer 10-20-2014 08:06 PM

i think they're pulling a fast one on us. for $2mm no one would buy it, is my guess as to their thought process.

3carmonte 10-21-2014 01:37 PM

Vetting the "Schlemmer"

Quote:

Originally Posted by road racer (Post 3579561)
i think they're pulling a fast one on us. for $2mm no one would buy it, is my guess as to their thought process.

Hammacher Schlemmer has indeed been in business since before most of our Grandfathers have been around and specialize in gifts for the "folks that have everything". In past years I can remember miniature Rolls Royce and Ferrari cars accurate in every detail (yes, with internal combustion engines) that children can drive "around the estate", toy airplanes that fly a pilot and passenger etc. all for big bucks cause they work and HS stands behind their stuff. Do you honestly think there isn't a Sheik or Silicone Valley hot shot that wouldn't think twice about one of these for junior for Christmas (or whatever)? Hell, (the late) FAO Schwartz on 57th. St. and Ave of Americas (6th. ave) used to sell a lot of what HS still offers but they were brick and mortar where HS was always by catalog and now web. They survived.

RBH 10-21-2014 01:50 PM

66 Attachment(s)

Kubera 10-21-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBH (Post 3582337)

Cool link, thanks for sharing.

road racer 10-21-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3carmonte (Post 3582321)
Do you honestly think there isn't a Sheik or Silicone Valley hot shot that wouldn't think twice about one of these for junior for Christmas (or whatever)?

Yeah, I mean it doesn't seem like it goes very fast or deep, just doesn't seem that fun to me at any price.

What really got me though was, laser guided autonomous driving. That simply doesn't exist today. There is the press/marketing about "self driving cars", then there is the reality. I happen to know first hand that the systems available today are VERY rudimentary. If I paid 2MM for the vehicle I'd be disappointed it didn't really do what it was advertised.

WayneB 11-05-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3carmonte (Post 3578449)
I already called their customer service department about the "steel chassis" description. When you offer "The best, the Only and the unexpected for 166 years", the pursuit of accuracy is expected!-poke-rotfl
I wonder who is making it for them?

That's the Rinspeed sQuba concept car from Germany made in 2008.

Latter day spoof on the Wet Nelly Esprit from the Spy Who Loved Me.

3carmonte 12-14-2016 02:22 PM

There is a short of this car in action toward the end of last weeks Jay Leno's Garage

The show features Aqua-Cars and the "Marine- Elise" is in a video clip following a photo of the Esprit and Rodger Moore.
The show will re-air tonight (9:00pm - 10:00pm EDST) before the new show at 11:00 on CNBC.

Nickshu 12-14-2016 02:50 PM

Steel chassis?

XtinctElise 12-14-2016 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickshu (Post 5219874)
Steel chassis?

Another underwater improvement. Steel wont corrode like aluminum!

It also helps it to submerge faster.