Lotus Elise vulnerable to keyless remote hack - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Lotus Elise vulnerable to keyless remote hack

Was reading yet another article on car hacking today and was surprised to see that the researcher tested it on an Elise of all cars. I wonder if he's a member here...

Article: http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...keyless-entry/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 10:54 AM

I have partially bypassed my immobilizer but left the starter circuit such that the fob is needed. Seeing these makes me lean towards getting rid of it entirely even more

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Nein Kinder

A few more comments here . . .

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 11:08 AM

Already discussed a bit here:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f320...cepted-319986/

Any kind of one-way remote without a clock in both ends is obviously vulnerable from a theoretical standpoint, so this isn't really news. Opening garage doors has been a DIY "getting started with Software Defined Radio" project for years now.

If someone commercializes a cheap device like this on the black market I suppose it could become an issue with joyriding, but honestly, it requires enough premeditation to use that I don't think people will do it on a whim, an Elise isn't lucrative to steal (you can't exactly sell it to the chop shop) and if someone has you targeted specifically, you have way bigger problems than key fob replay attacks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 02:02 PM

Well, yes, but does this keyless hack extend the range at which the keyless entry can be effective (with the hack of course)? Probably not. The distance is limited by the antenna.

What's the lesson here? If you see someone next to your Lotus doing something weird, they are probably trying to hack your car. If they are more than 5 feet away, they will die of frustration first.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Well, yes, but does this keyless hack extend the range at which the keyless entry can be effective (with the hack of course)? Probably not. The distance is limited by the antenna.

What's the lesson here? If you see someone next to your Lotus doing something weird, they are probably trying to hack your car. If they are more than 5 feet away, they will die of frustration first.

People are always doing something weird near the car since :shrug

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 05:23 PM
Closer than you think

Garage
Living in Wisconsin with a Lotus sucks eight months of the year except for one thing... I've never locked my car. I don't ever keep anything valuable inside, and I figure anyone who really wants to get in will, so why force them to destroy the car in the process?...

I also calculate that your average two-bit thief is baffled by a manual transmission and/or a Lotus itself, while a professional won't be stopped by much of anything. I also don't think that a Lotus is a chop shop target for a number of reasons.

Fortunately a hackable key code for me is irrelevant.

2005 BRP Elise Sport, Hardtop, Stage 2 Exhaust, CF side scoops, CF splitter, Composite Worx seats, gunmetal stripes
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 05:26 PM
glb

Quote:

Exactly the 1st thing I thought.

Criminal would have to be in the car with me....

...or at least next to me.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:

The poor range is actually a boon for the attacker, because the compromise revolves around the attacker receiving the key fob's signal while the car doesn't. Since the attacker could make a better receive antenna than the one in the Lotus out of a coat hanger, they're at the advantage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus in the Media

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in