Lotus NOT in the media! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Lotus NOT in the media!

I can't believe it, but in two sucessive "30 best sports cars" type of Articles in Classic Motorsports Magazine the editors/writer has totally ignored Lotus Esprits, and indeed ANY of the Lotus cars!

I wrote to them today cancelling my subscription!

One of the Articles even INCLUDED the Datsun 240Z's in their list!

As I explained to them, while I recognize that there is a certain degree of subjectivity to this typr of Article, there is also, IMHO, a duty as jurnalists to remain partially objective as well, and NOT including Lotus cars with their innivative design aspects and racing history is inexcuseable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa6rxm View Post
I can't believe it, but in two sucessive "30 best sports cars" type of Articles in Classic Motorsports Magazine the editors/writer has totally ignored Lotus Esprits, and indeed ANY of the Lotus cars!

I wrote to them today cancelling my subscription!

One of the Articles even INCLUDED the Datsun 240Z's in their list!

As I explained to them, while I recognize that there is a certain degree of subjectivity to this typr of Article, there is also, IMHO, a duty as jurnalists to remain partially objective as well, and NOT including Lotus cars with their innivative design aspects and racing history is inexcuseable!
Limited to 30 cars, I'm not surprised the Esprit didn't make the cut. It really wasn't ground breaking from a sports car perspective. I've seen a lot of these lists, and don't recall seeing the Esprit showing up too often. Great car, with a great story from a company that also has a great story, but not one of the 30 best IMHO.

I could see the argument for the 240Z in some ways though. If you look at it within its era, when it came out it was quite a departure compared to its peers: the MGB, Triumph TR7, and Porsche 914.

BUT without having read the article, a bit surprised the original Elan was overlooked. It usually makes these lists. Classic Motorsports Magazine has been fairly fond of it over the years. The 7 often shows up on these lists as well.

But these lists are so subjective, hardly worth getting worked up over. What are the criteria for 'best.' Best within era? Best against peers? Best across eras? Ground breaking technology or build? Most iconic? Best performance stats? Most significant (and what does THAT mean?)? Is it wide open, to include ultra high $$$ and low production (the McClaren F1 comes to mind) competing against the 240Z, Lotus Elan, Lotus 7 (a kit car), Mazda RX 7, Corvette, NSX, etc?

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe

Last edited by 4380r; 07-26-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus in the Media

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in