November 2003 issue of Road & Track - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by zvezdah1
exm3,
Remember these pics are of a test car, so it's highly likely the final edition will be slightly different.
Chris
I agree. Looking at the rear picture in R&T, the one that shows the central, diffuser exhaust, it is pretty clear this is a test car. The rear lights are definitely not a production item and the perforated panel and license plate holder all look like "test mule".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 07:29 AM

Per the TopGear Elise video, they purposely put thin front tires on to cause understeer. Also per the video, we should be able to specify the normal (non-thin) front tires when we order the car.

By the way, it is generally deemed to be a bad idea to make handling "more neutral" by reducing the grip of one end of the car. That is like having a chair with a pair of wobbly legs... so, to fix it, you make the other two legs wobbly.

Mine will have the wider front tires.

Thomas
post #23 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 07:31 AM

1/4 mile time

The online calculators I found give a 12.7 1/4 mile time at 107mph if you enter the weight and hp. I'm sure that they use simplistic models, but 12.0 sounds clearly too low. Actually, I only entered the weight of the car, maybe I was supposed to include the weight of the driver? With a weight of 2150, I get 13.1 at 104 mph.

I'll have to look out for that mag. Sorry to hear about your broken leg, Cade, you're showing true dedication!

Reto

2005 Lotus Elise (yellow, sport pack), #94 SS
2005 Nissan Xterra (LSV)

post #24 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 07:37 AM

The 175s on the front are standard for all elises except I believe the 135, 160. Clearly the 175s are standard to prevent the vast bulk of real world drivers (me! me! me!) from getting into trouble!

Look at the planned elise usage poll in this site. Only 10% plan to do track days and limited street driving. THe rest all plan exclusively street driving or street with occasional track. As I've said all along, a comparitive few of these cars will see a track on a regular basis (I"ve felt it would be about 10%) so they're designing the car to work for the biggest group.

Thankfully for the percentage that do yearn for high track usage, the Lotus sport suspension package will probably help in that respect.

The specially designed yoko A048s mentioned in the article should be quite nice too!!
Chris

Last edited by zvezdah1; 10-04-2003 at 07:43 AM.
post #25 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 07:50 AM

Thanks ya'll! I've been a while in a cast, should get a 'walking cast' on wednesday. I'm going to ask the doc if it's ok if I take it off so I can work the clutch and start driving again. If he says no, I'll just have to do some driving anyway within the confines of my apartment complex parking lot. I feel like a junkie in withdrawal.

ConeFusion, where did you find the online calculators for the performance numbers? I used to have a formula written down that I'd use, but it's on a scrap of paper around here somewhere...

Your numbers look a lot more accurate, though.

Thanks!

Cade
post #26 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MotorCade
ConeFusion, where did you find the online calculators for the performance numbers?
I found a ton of them, but most of them produce the same result, so it must be the same formula. Here is one: http://www.torinocobra.com/horsepower.htm. I thought I had seen more elaborate ones in the past that let you enter more parameters, but I can't find them.

Another search revealed a much nicer page, including the forumula that you were probably looking for:
http://www.stealth316.com/2-calc-hp-et-mph.htm
This first formula on that page gives higher numbers, the second one seems to be the one used on the other sites.

Reto

2005 Lotus Elise (yellow, sport pack), #94 SS
2005 Nissan Xterra (LSV)

Last edited by ConeFusion; 10-04-2003 at 08:03 AM.
post #27 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 08:05 AM

I sure hope that weight is with a full tank. I'll be disappointed if the car comes in over 2000lbs. I plan to address the power issue with forced induction at some point but I 'd hate to feel the Fed Elise will have comprimised handling do to the weight gain.
post #28 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 08:14 AM

ConeF, thanks! Those are the formulas. Hadn't seen the LRT formula before, though. It's an interesting read.

Cade
post #29 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 09:16 AM

Extra Weight...come on guys. I'll take the extra weight for the 190 hp not too mention reliability and the close ratio box that is in the car. It does not have the USA Celica box. It has the Close Ratio Box from the Celica T-sport in the UK. Also a larger radiator, A/C, Larger fuel Tank, and not 1 but Two oil Coolers. A lot more fluids in this car than the Euro 111's, which is about 1825 lbs. which doesn't have the larger radiator nor oil coolers and doesn't have airbags or door beams or a heavier power plant.

This is the strongest article I have ever read about one car and coming from an world renowned automobile writer who has driven almost EVERYTHING on the planet Id say that Lotus has done an Excellent Job.
Hat's OFF!
post #30 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 09:36 AM

I agree, I agree, but need something to gripe about or I'll die in anticipation. It is going to be a hoot, no doubt. Can't wait till the spring.
post #31 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotusmonza
... It does not have the USA Celica box. It has the Close Ratio Box from the Celica T-sport in the UK. Also a larger radiator, A/C, Larger fuel Tank, and not 1 but Two oil Coolers...
It's OK Clyde, we're on your side! We love it! We wish it were lighter... But we love it!

So, can you give us an idea of speeds in gears for that box? Specifically, 1st, 2nd & 3rd gear at redline?

R&T says 10.5 gallon tank, is that right? and how many mpg?

Thanks,
Robert
post #32 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 09:50 AM

Don't worry Clyde, I think we're definitely getting a better car. I'm incredibly excited about this.

Out of curiousity, does anyone know if the doorbeams contribute any extra rigidity to the structure? Not that it's not already pretty rigid...
post #33 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 09:55 AM

Maybe I can find a smaller tank since I'll be driving mostly at the track. I also know you can get "track" batteries at half the weight and lighter alternators designed for racing. The list goes on.... We'll get the Fed Elise back down to fighting weight in no time.
post #34 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 10:26 AM

or fill it up half way! i believe the euro tank is 8.5 gallons. and mpg should be good but nothing has been released by now. What does the celica get on the highway? That car is over 500lbs heavier.
post #35 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 10:41 AM

The Celica gets 23/32 according to the window sticker. We will probably get a few on top of that. I'm thinking 28/36 for us.

Cade
post #36 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 10:44 AM

Farg. None of the local bookstores have the November issue yet.

Can someone post the photos to keep me satisfied until the magazine gets here?

Thanks,

Thomas
post #37 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Sorry, I don't have a scanner.
I could take photos and e-mail them to Randy...

I'll do that this afternoon if I don't see something up here soon.
post #38 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 10:55 AM

Gas Tank Size

The S2 111s is listed on the UK website as having a 38 liter fuel tank. That converts to 10.02 US Gallons. The 8.5 Gallon figure is Imperial gallons, they are larger. So if the US tank is larger at 10.5 US gallons, it appears to be marginally so.

Do I understand it correctly that it has power assisted ABS brakes. I do not have the article yet, couldn't find it, but my read me a few things.

Greg
post #39 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 11:00 AM

Even a scan of the cover would be good to see. What color is the car that they had?

Thomas
post #40 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 11:03 AM
Supporting Vendor

Most of the pix are of a Euro spec car. They have some small pix of the US car's rear end, interior and engine bay. That is it. There are plenty of nice shots of Sam Mitani workin' the silver euro spec car - including the cover shot.

Stop sweatin' numbers until the official ones are out. The weight is listed as estimated. I suspect the 1/4 mile figure is as well. Top speed is estimated at 141mph.

He drove a prototype car but it was good enough for these superlatives:
'...a must-have for any enthusiast and will outperform anything in its segement.'
'...turn-in response is immediate and amazingsly crisp.'
'...Its balance through virtually all corners is flawless.'
;...the most enjoyable car on the planet to drive...'

He makes positive comments about the shift action as well as the engine response.

Friends, this car is going to be the whip. Thank your lucky stars that you are on the list. I know I am!!!

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus in the Media

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in