Top Gear Tesla/Elise law suit - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
I definitely disagree with the viewpoint that Tesla was misrepresented. Why? First of all, Top Gear is an entertainment show, not a news or documentary program. It is in Top Gear's best interest to present an entertaining and fun show for people to LOL and chat to friends about. Second, only a ignoramus would believe racetrack use represents real-world road use, so the presentation Top Gear offered isn't realistic anyway.

IMO, Tesla is only proving how idiotic they are by suing an entertainment show.
6 Famous 'Frivolous Lawsuit' Stories That Are Total B.S. | Cracked.com

Reduce Weight // Improve Reliability http://www.ChimeraBatteries.com

2007 Lotus Exige S // 2009 Ferrari 430 Scuderia 16M // 2012 Chrysler 300C
2005 Maserati Gransport SOLD // 2006 Chrysler 300C R.I.P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 12:37 PM

For years they compared the STi against the EVO and they were neck and neck, one year they called the EVO the F16 and the STi the F15 and often said they just couldn't choose. Then Subaru softened the STi and turned it into a overstuffed Ford Focus look alike. That review ended with the STi parked and the EVO drifting circles around it, and rightly so. I say that as a Subaru fanatic since 1979, but the review was accurate in giving a metaphor for the comparison, no matter how many Subarus I have owned and how much I like the company. Same with the Tesla, if you drive it like a sports car then you will end up out of juice quickly.

Like classic video games and pinball, check out the Retrogaming Roundup Show, available on iTunes and our own website.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 12:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIL View Post
I disagree. I think that Tesla has grounds for a suit. Specifically, the following: Tortious Interference with Prospective Contractual Relations; and
Business Disparagement and Defamation.

Top Gear often blurs the lines between entertainment and information. I (and many others) watch the show to learn about cars and for laughs. Top Gear did not present the "breakdown" of the Tesla as parody. They made it appear that the car actually ran out of juice after a certain number of miles when in fact it didn't.

Tesla is trying to grow a brand. With electric cars range is tantamount. If one of the biggest car infotainment shows deliberately makes it look like your range is lower than it actually is, that can have serious business implications. Do you really expect Tesla to stand idly by?
Their two claims relate to the 55 mile range and the brakes. The 55 mile range was an estimate provided to them by Tesla based on use on the Top Gear track. Tesla's claim is that the brakes did not "break" even though the fuse blew throwing a fault code and dash light. I think any normal person would assume their car is "broken" if they have to take it into service for any reason.

I think it will be proven that they have no case and imo it's a desperate move by a company hemorrhaging cash who needs investors (many of whom are questioning the company about the Top Gear review).

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:02 PM

You seriously linked Cracked.com as a reputable source?

Nevertheless, the Tesla situation isn't a case of reports differing wildly from what may have actually happened. We all saw the Top Gear episode, perhaps chuckled a bit at the usual stupidity portrayed by Clarkson, and went on with our day. Tesla is still being a whining brat crying wolf to the comedians.

'07 Exige S270 :: Aspen White ::

"This is like O. Henry and Alanis Morissette had a baby and named it "this exact situation"."
Sterling Mallory Archer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus in the Media

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in