Another Bad Radiator, 2007 Elise 5k miles - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 12:25 PM

Garage
Thanks for the comforting words. Since my radiator is new and coolant is fresh I'm going to bleed the system just to make sure.
Still not sure what I'm going to do in winter. I just might do what people did with old cars: put a rubber mat in front of the radiator. Let's see what winter brings. For now: I can push hard without worrying my engine will overheat. Autobahn rules! (For people who do not know: German autobahn largely has no speedlimit).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinZ View Post
Thanks for the comforting words. Since my radiator is new and coolant is fresh I'm going to bleed the system just to make sure.
Still not sure what I'm going to do in winter. I just might do what people did with old cars: put a rubber mat in front of the radiator. Let's see what winter brings. For now: I can push hard without worrying my engine will overheat. Autobahn rules! (For people who do not know: German autobahn largely has no speedlimit).
Don't block off the radiator. Trust the thermostat.
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:38 PM

I posted under the Exige and the Coolant threads (see BLEW A GASKET). I haven't sent the car out to be fixed yet but it looks like the radiator and the oil cooler have both blown. The car only has about 6K on it. I know that this is likley going to cost me 4K or more to fix. The warranty expired just before I bought it. I intend to bring it to the attention of Lotus USA to see if they will compensate for some of the $$$$. Might fair better if everyone else that had the same problem do likewise.

post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 09:17 AM

Another failure - this time an '08 Elise SC at 15K miles. I would describe this as a "catastrophic failure" as it looked like something exploded up front and covered the drivers side of the windshield in coolant. Luckily, I was less than 1/4 mile from my house and coasted in.

Sorry - hard to see the split, but it's just above the "wet" area along the middle of the flat part.

I had this pop on Wed afternoon while accelerating in normal traffic, towed to the dealer on Thurs morning and got it back on Friday afternoon in time for a track day. Repair was covered under warranty. I was also glad to have towing coverage with my insurance.

'08 Elise SC Storm Titanium
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 09:36 AM

are they still using plastic ends or is this aluminum ends radiator?
post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman6074 View Post
are they still using plastic ends or is this aluminum ends radiator?
Plastic on my '08 and the replacement OEM part was plastic.

post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 10:23 AM

Garage
Sure there was no air in the system? 4 years sounds like on the short side of normal life span. The normal radiators are very sensitive to air so make sure there is no air is in your cooling system.
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinZ View Post
Sure there was no air in the system? 4 years sounds like on the short side of normal life span. The normal radiators are very sensitive to air so make sure there is no air is in your cooling system.
I actually took delivery of a new '08 at the beginning of '10 -- so in my case little over 2 years and 15K miles. So even worse...

VinZ - how would I know if there was air in the system? When I asked the service writer, he said they "pressure" bled the system during this repair. I don't think there is any access point at the radiator to "bleed" any air trapped in the top - I think that would mean taking off the clam. If there is a way - please let me know.

post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Scott Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttime4four View Post
I actually took delivery of a new '08 at the beginning of '10 -- so in my case little over 2 years and 15K miles. So even worse...

VinZ - how would I know if there was air in the system? When I asked the service writer, he said they "pressure" bled the system during this repair. I don't think there is any access point at the radiator to "bleed" any air trapped in the top - I think that would mean taking off the clam. If there is a way - please let me know.
If you're referring to the front radiator bleed screw, you can just take the right hand side (passenger) wheel liner out and access the bleed screw there. its a very easy 30 min job.
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 12:32 PM
German Reimport

Now I'm waiting for my radiator to fail in 10, ...9, ...8, ...

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...
post #51 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 12:43 PM

Garage
don't worry to much Mr.C
I have seen plenty of radiators last 10 years or more.

There is a bleed valve where Scottycali4nia said (mine is actually on the drivers side but it has Rover K engine that isn't sold in the US).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Engine Cooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in