Another coolant leak - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Another coolant leak

Ive recently developed a small coolant leak by the passenger side of the engine compartment. Ive tried to find the source but can not pinpoint exactly where its coming from.
Ive narrowed it down to the area above the oil filter housing but cannot visually see above the filter housing.

I know that the thermostat housing is in the general area.

has naybody dealt with similar issues? Any leads on how to track this before i start taking things apart is appreciated.

thank you in advance.

2006 Exige (SC Koldfire 270)
2005 Elise Katana SC (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 12:35 PM
Addict

Garage
You can remove the tire and wheel liner to look around from there too. Might not be a great view but you can then get your phone camera around better to take some pics. The water pump may leak some when bad but not sure it will show up in the area you have a leak showing.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 12:51 PM

Have you looked at the coolant U-loop that is right next to the oil filter? It's known to rub and eventually develop a leak:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f311...-u-tube-47232/

It's a vestige of the 2ZZ being repurposed from the Celica and can be removed with a bit of work to shorten the water line.

Last edited by CookieMonster; 09-23-2017 at 12:53 PM. Reason: grammar...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
You can remove the tire and wheel liner to look around from there too. Might not be a great view but you can then get your phone camera around better to take some pics. The water pump may leak some when bad but not sure it will show up in the area you have a leak showing.
The water pump does look to be dry. Im just glad i dont have to deal with that yet.
So for now I'm homing on the thermostat housing.

The Iphone camera sounds a good idea. might even pick up a cheap camera with a flexible probe. Seems their prices are reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
Have you looked at the coolant U-loop that is right next to the oil filter? It's known to rub and eventually develop a leak:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f311...-u-tube-47232/

It's a vestige of the 2ZZ being repurposed from the Celica and can be removed with a bit of work to shorten the water line.
Ive looked closely at that u tube and is dry. I'll be a good time to address it when i take things apart.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Im really bummed out as there are still track day schedules that i will have to pass up until i get this addressed. The leak is still not bad enough but I do not want to take the chance of causing issues on the track.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 02:16 PM

Bro, take it up to Pendleton if they have the lift system at their auto hobbyshop to inspect from the bottom. If its still driveable i have the borescope here.

Yes you, Peewee.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Just an update.

The leak dripping on the passenger side of the engine bay was tracked to the
Thermostat housing gasket failure.

While there was some threads on how to replace the thermostat; I think most of them were on an Elise NA.
Most replaced thermostat was performed with the clam on thru the wheel liner wit the alternator off.
With the super charger on it was not as easy as other had mentioned. With the super charger on the way, I can not even visually see the housing so removing it was done thru feel. While removing the housing was not the issue, putting it back together was concerning if i had to install it by feel as I did not want to run the risk if pinching the gasket a the old gasket did. So I decided to remove the clam and be more confident in the gasket replacement.
With the clam off, the housing was still not visible but provided more room to replace the thermostat and gasket.

Now that i've done it with all the space, next time around will be Clam on.
Attached Images

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 04:45 AM

It's good to see you are using a proper engineering lubricant for the job, though a good IPA is better in my opinion

also, are you sure those jacks are sturdy enough for the job? Damn I wouldn't want to heft those around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Engine Cooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in