BOE or Radium Coolant Tank? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By glagola1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

BOE or Radium Coolant Tank?

My tank is looking pretty bad and I'm going to replace it. Looks like these are the two major contenders. Any insight/recommendations on which to go with?

BOE:
Pressurized Swirl Header Tank ? BOE Fabrication

Radium:
Coolant Expansion Tank Kit for Lotus Elise/Exige
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 08:08 AM

BOE... It swirls and BOE continues to support and develop products for the Elise/Exige while Radium has pretty much quit Lotus. Support them back.
allectrebek likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 08:10 AM

Garage
My vote is for the BOE version. It has been proven, tested, and is solid. The radium does look a bit cooler, but the BOE one is on a few cars on the track. Totally worth the extra little bit. Also, I like the way the lines are set up on it better. Main return hose is a nice large exit port, which allows for fluid to return to the system quicker. Its also one return line as opposed to radiums dual return line, which means you will need to y them together...unless they are using a bottom port an inlet into the tank, and the other as an exit back to the engine.

Our coolant tanks have two inlets and one exit in and out of itself. So with that in mind...Radiums design is kind of backwards.

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 08:20 AM

Garage
BOE. I trust the folks who push the limits on these cars on the track day in, day out
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 08:44 AM
Nein Kinder

I have the Radium tank. As others have noted, it looks great and works well. It also has a swirl chamber built in.

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 10:57 AM
Addict

Garage
I believe the BOE tank requires removal of the stock air box to fit, if not can someone post pics of their install? If you no longer have the stock air box and have the BOE intake this will not matter.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
I believe the BOE tank requires removal of the stock air box to fit, if not can someone post pics of their install? If you no longer have the stock air box and have the BOE intake this will not matter.
Ooo hmmm... I have a cup airbox, so I'll have to double check that. It doesn't mention it on their site though. Paging @turbophil
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 03:12 AM

Seems to me that the most significant difference is that the BOE tank is set up to allow for running higher than normal pressure in the cooling system. If you're interested in that, then there's your choice. If not, then price, appearance, mounting location come into the picture. I've been running the Radium tank on track (12 psi TVS) for about a year with no problems.

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Y. Berra
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 04:21 AM
Nein Kinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxige View Post
Seems to me that the most significant difference is that the BOE tank is set up to allow for running higher than normal pressure in the cooling system.
Both manufacturers offer higher than stock pressure (I believe 1.1 bar is stock).

Radium sells their tank with a 1.1 bar cap and offers a 1.3 or 1.5 bar (about 22 psi) cap as well. BOE's tank has a Schraeder valve that lets you pressurize the system above what it would normally achieve on its own. They ship their tank with a 30 psi cap (about 2 bar) and recommend you don't exceed that on a stock system.

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC

Last edited by Glen; 05-14-2016 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Clarify wording
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 05:43 AM

I'm interested in this as well, as I will need to replace my stock tank. My concerns are a cup air box and catch cans that are mounted to the tank. What have you guys done to overcome this? Do I need to make custom mounts?

1966 BRG Elan SE (sold)
2008 Isotope Green Exige 240
2017 Metallic Blue Evora 400
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Both manufacturers offer higher than stock pressure (I believe 1.1 bar is stock).

Radium sells their tank with a 1.1 bar cap and offers a 1.3 or 1.5 bar (about 22 psi) cap as well. BOE's tank has a Schraeder valve that lets you pressurize the system above what it would normally achieve on its own. They ship their tank with a 30 psi cap (about 2 bar) and recommend you don't exceed that on a stock system.

Glen
I was unclear, Glen.
By higher than 'normal' I meant higher than what you can get just from the heat carried in a stock system. I put a Stant cap on the Radium tank, 1.4 bar iirc. The hoses and connections seem to be happy so far.

Walter, the Radium tank works with a Cup airbox, and leaves room for typical catch cans such as Radium or Saikou Michi.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 03:56 AM

I just recently replaced mine with Radium. I am very happy with it and it was an fairly easy swap. It swirls, looks great, and does what I need it to do. It does not come with a cap, you can select one of 3 different pressure caps. I stayed with the soick 1.1 bar as I do not track mine and just needed a functioning tank for my sexy lady. I was fortunate that Radium is local to me and I was able to swing by and pick it up same day!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 08:40 AM

Garage
I can't speak of virtues of BOE version other than other stuff I have from them is topshelf.

So is Radium. I have their unit. I have the Cup Airbox, with Satochi catch can arrangement.

I went with 1.3 bar cap. The unit is nice. I cannot complain.

L O T U S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Engine Cooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in