Catch Cans - Any real difference? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dallasreed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Question Catch Cans - Any real difference?

I'm looking to install catch cans on my '06 REV300 Exige. I'm new to the car (purchased last December and driven 3 times so far). I have oil in the MAF and the inside of the lines are coated. The hose on the non-wide open port was dripping with oil (not a lot, but enough to drip out when held vertically). The car will be autoX monthly and tracked a few times a year plus driving around town.

Below are the options I've found to date. BOE's isn't here as I want non-vented.
Radium Dual Catch can 6oz
Moroso Small 4oz / Large 5.7oz
Sector111 QWKcans 6oz
Sector111 ProAlloy proCATCHcans 6oz
SaikouMichi 7oz

I'm leaning toward the QWKcans, but generally don't like the idea of plastic connectors. I have a BOE clam hinge so mounting to the clam isn't an acceptable option.

Aside from pricing is there any real difference in the performance of these?

Last edited by mwehnes; 04-04-2016 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Add capacity for each option - some are calculated based upon dimensions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 08:24 AM
Supporting Vendor

I think you would be smart to get one as the amount of high revs that your car will see thx to the driving events will justify the purchase. You will be pushing a fair amount of oil. Watch our PCV video:

The plastic connectors that you are concerned about are automotive-grade OE connectors that tested for engine applications. Of course you can delete them and use simple hose clamps.

One nice advantage of these solutions is that you won't mess up the engine bay with oil vapor that collects dirt that creates a big mess and...

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!

Last edited by shinoo; 03-26-2016 at 08:43 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 08:18 PM

Autox not so much but track yes. I have had 4 different ones on my car, all have had good qualities but this was my favorite so far: BOE Catch Can ? BOE Fabrication .

You may want to look into an oil pan as well.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 08:24 PM

I am also shopping for catch cans for a REV300 setup. I prefer a closed loop system, particularly in order to avoid oil mist in the engine bay (I don't think that the REV300 is so high power that open loop, like the BOE catch can, is necessary). I also want the mounting in an Elise to have already been worked out.

I want to understand the difference (other than looks and price) of the Sector111 QWKcans and the proCATCHcans. Does one perform better than the other, and why? What are the capacities of each? Any ease of installation, maintenance or draining differences? The proCATCHcans seem to have larger inner diameter connectors (implies better breathing) than the QWKcans, but I can't tell for sure from the pictures. There are no installation pictures or guides I could find for the proCATCHcans, so I don't know how ready-made the mounting solution is for the Elise, nor if it attaches to the engine or the rear clam (I have a clam hinge installed, so prefer not to be mounted to the clam).

I have read that people like the Saikoumichi cans, but that there were long delivery time problems with them last year.

The only thing that turns me off of the Radium cans is the high price. I don't care much that they are pretty, although the dipstick seems like a nice feature.

Last edited by ChrisH; 03-31-2016 at 05:53 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

@ChrisH I think we're right there in the same boat shopping. The premium for the Radiums (which I do like aesthetically and for the dip stick) isn't worth it IMO.

@shinoo Can you provide more information on the proCATCHcans vs the QWKcans? I'm ready to order and I think the decision is down to these two options at this point.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 03:26 AM

I agonised over this for a while and decided on the Radium kit. I use a large syringe and thin tube through the dipstick holes for a quick empty after each sprint. I have pulled up to 200ml out of the PCV can after just 4 laps (the capacity of each can is just 300ml).

If you go for such a closed system you must empty the cans regularly, or if they get full, high manifold vacuum will just suck the contents into the intake.

I now understand why race cars have an open system.

I would go for the kit with the largest capacity cans - ideally 500 to 600ml each. Also to drain from base quickly they need to have an easily removable cap at the top.

Vale Mr Chip 1998-2015

Last edited by iana; 03-27-2016 at 03:59 AM. Reason: more info
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 06:01 AM
because racecar

catch cans are good, especially with high boost
intercoolers wont work as well coated in oil

If your handy you can use off the shelf parts and save some money. In my autocross car I have one from jegs on one of the breather lines and then a saikou michi deal as well in the normal location.
I have a block off plate on one of the breather locations and I am considering throwing another catch can on it as well, but it is a bit hard to get to with the engine in

another consideration is that an open system is technically not street legal. sort of like not running a cat

2005 Lotus Elise turbo k20a2 757whp 536wtq 31psi [email protected]
2005 Lotus Elise 2zz supercharged 'streetable' race car
2007 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder
2010 Ford F350
2004 Mazda RX8
2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I passed my license test in a 3cyl 70hp Geo Metro
I learned to drive a manual on a Lotus Elise
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 06:15 AM

Dallas is spot on! I used the sumittracing one in my mitsu for $30 or so. You can also put a valve to change from open to closed loop. If open run a line to soewhere out of the engine bay. They are also a good indicator of piston ring health.

05 elise ardent red sport touring VF1 s/c, pro rad, arquay twin, etc etc etc
05 elise GG sport touring BWR s/c Charliex s/p dent in chassis=total loss
17 BMW 428i conv wifes car
03 GMC Yukon
90 eclipse gsx 420 whp sold
04 civic si sold
13 Ford focus ST
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 08:52 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwehnes View Post

@shinoo Can you provide more information on the proCATCHcans vs the QWKcans? I'm ready to order and I think the decision is down to these two options at this point.
proCATCHcans will stop more oil. QWKcans are lower cost and easier to take on or off. You can't go wrong with either.

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 09:40 AM

Garage
My vote is Saikou cans. I have used them in the past, and bought a second set for my turbo car. Awesome price for a great product.

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 11:12 AM

I had the Saikou set for a while. Very functional at a great price. I recently upgraded to the Radium set. A bit overpriced, but...amazing engineering and mounts to the engine and not the clam, making removal easier. Dipsticks are a nice touch, albeit I suppose unnecessary. But I do prefer the Radium set. Just my opinion.

Corvus

A Dirge for Her the Doulby Dead in that She Died So Young
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 06:25 AM
because racecar

here is a diy setup, I actually revised my catch can setup as of yesterday to be entirely open system, remove the saikou cans, clear out some room in the engine bay so I am just running one catch can that is taking oil from two crank case locations instead of 3 cans from 3 locations
also for what its worth I have a set of the saikou michi cans I was using I just listed

moroso can has two bungs welded, so the crank case location on the upper back of engine is going to the can and then one of the crank case locations where a can is normally installed is routed to the can with a hose
may mess with this some more later

275 Turbo likes this.

2010 Ford F350
2004 Mazda RX8
2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 12:24 AM

I cant work that out, but mind telling us what the problem was with your previous set-up that lead to this solution?

Vale Mr Chip 1998-2015
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 07:22 PM

Moroso Options

It turns out that Moroso has a few closed loop kits (including mounting bracket) for the Elise/Exige. They mount to the transmission shift cable bracket bolts, and hence move with the engine.

The kit that the OP referenced was for the small body kit. There is also a larger body kit (43% more capacity according to Moroso) with drain valves included. The small body kits unscrew rather than having a drain valve. The large body kit is in polished aluminum only. There are two versions of the small body kit - one that is simply polished aluminum, and the other is painted black. Of course, you can paint them whatever color you want.

Here is the link at the Moroso web site:
Moroso Air-Oil Separator Lotus Kits
The individual product pages have a link to the installation instructions. It looks pretty straight forward.

Capacity: I didn't see any site that listed the capacity, but the summitracing site did give dimensions: 4.5 inches high for both bodies, 2.125 inches diameter for small body, 2.875 diameter for large body. Moroso's instructions recommend draining when half full. Assuming a 0.05 inch thick wall, that works out to 7.25 cubic inches = 4 fluid ounces. The large can is advertised at 43% more capacity, which would make it about 5.7 ounces, which is about the same as the Radium kit (6 ounces according to Radium's web site), and QWKcans (roughly estimated from external size). Saikou Michi looks to be about 7 ounces based on dimensions.

Personally, I think 4 ounces is rather small for a supercharged car, even if it is just spirited street use (no track), but, I have no direct experience to base my opinion. (Does someone else have data on caught oil for a street supercharged car that has piston rings in reasonably good condition?)

You can find lower prices at sites other than Moroso. The cheapest I found was on eBay. The cheapest (including shipping) online stores were summitracing.com and monkeywrenchracing.com. At summitracing, the small body polished aluminum kit is $267 with shipping, painted small body kit is $323, and the large body kit is $342. (BTW, summitracing incorrectly shows the painted picture for the polished aluminum kit.)

Has anyone here used these kits that could give a review?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 10:39 AM
because racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by iana View Post
I cant work that out, but mind telling us what the problem was with your previous set-up that lead to this solution?
The previous setup with the saikou michi cans was closed loop, meaning that blow by can still get into the intake.

In a normal NA setup this is not a problem as the oil gets burnt up and expelled out the exhaust. In an FI setup that oil depending on where the blow by enters the intake passes through the intercooler and can coat it with oil which theoretically reduces cooler performance to some degree.

I went ahead and changed the setup I have to be completely open loop and blocked off the inlets where you would connect the breather to the intake. The part that would go to the intake is now an air filter instead of a hose to the intake.

2010 Ford F350
2004 Mazda RX8
2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 10:43 AM
because racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
It turns out that Moroso has a few closed loop kits (including mounting bracket) for the Elise/Exige. They mount to the transmission shift cable bracket bolts, and hence move with the engine.

The kit that the OP referenced was for the small body kit. There is also a larger body kit (43% more capacity according to Moroso) with drain valves included. The small body kits unscrew rather than having a drain valve. The large body kit is in polished aluminum only. There are two versions of the small body kit - one that is simply polished aluminum, and the other is painted black. Of course, you can paint them whatever color you want.

Here is the link at the Moroso web site:
Moroso Air-Oil Separator Lotus Kits
The individual product pages have a link to the installation instructions. It looks pretty straight forward.

Capacity: I didn't see any site that listed the capacity, but the summitracing site did give dimensions: 4.5 inches high for both bodies, 2.125 inches diameter for small body, 2.875 diameter for large body. Moroso's instructions recommend draining when half full. Assuming a 0.05 inch thick wall, that works out to 7.25 cubic inches = 4 fluid ounces. The large can is advertised at 43% more capacity, which would make it about 5.7 ounces, which is about the same as the Radium kit (6 ounces according to Radium's web site), and QWKcans (roughly estimated from external size). Saikou Michi looks to be about 7 ounces based on dimensions.

Personally, I think 4 ounces is rather small for a supercharged car, even if it is just spirited street use (no track), but, I have no direct experience to base my opinion. (Does someone else have data on caught oil for a street supercharged car that has piston rings in reasonably good condition?)

You can find lower prices at sites other than Moroso. The cheapest I found was on eBay. The cheapest (including shipping) online stores were summitracing.com and monkeywrenchracing.com. At summitracing, the small body polished aluminum kit is $267 with shipping, painted small body kit is $323, and the large body kit is $342. (BTW, summitracing incorrectly shows the painted picture for the polished aluminum kit.)

Has anyone here used these kits that could give a review?
What I have is a universal catch can and was previously used in a late model that has since been disassembled and thus was just something sitting around to get reused. The one I have could probably hold a quart. Really the difference is you just have to get creative with the mounting/location. I just tucked mine behind the AC lines in the passenger foot well. I don't have wheel well liners so things are a bit easier to get to down there.

2010 Ford F350
2004 Mazda RX8
2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 04:22 PM

I'm sure they all work. Hell, a beer can with a few holes can probably work just as well.
I use Radium's.

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Engine Cooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in