Is this Coolant line needed - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Is this Coolant line needed

There is a small coolant hose that extends from a coolant pipe to the engine block in the front on the engine. The pipe runs along the front of the engine from the top of the thermostat housing and has various connections. The engine block port was sealed when I received it from BOE. I shot them an e-mail but didnt hear back. Anyone know if it is needed?

I'll post a pick later

05 Saffron Elise (#151)!!!!!
Nitron NTR singles 550/700
BOE Rev 400, fuel surge tank, EFI 1.2
PPE Testpipe, BOE Silent Touch
RacePak IQ3 dash with EFI module
ACT HD/SS clutch, Fidanza FW, LETSA...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyelise View Post
There is a small coolant hose that extends from a coolant pipe to the engine block in the front on the engine. The pipe runs along the front of the engine from the top of the thermostat housing and has various connections. The engine block port was sealed when I received it from BOE. I shot them an e-mail but didnt hear back. Anyone know if it is needed?

I'll post a pick later
See pic attached. I'm thinking it's either 25 or 26 based on your description. Is it going to the T-Stat?
Attached Images

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 10:09 AM

I think it's marked "See 46.03" in the diagram. IIRC it is the connection for the crazy and prone to failure U-bend, which many people simplify to a short piece of hose elbow.

See thread:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f311...-u-tube-47232/

...which includes a copy page 46.03.

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Y. Berra

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxige View Post
I think it's marked "See 46.03" in the diagram. IIRC it is the connection for the crazy and prone to failure U-bend, which many people simplify to a short piece of hose elbow.

See thread: Cooling Ticking Timebomb
This help?
Attached Images

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRacingGroup View Post
See pic attached. I'm thinking it's either 25 or 26 based on your description. Is it going to the T-Stat?
actually it is #33 in this pic or the small rubber hose extending from metal coolant line to the block
Attached Images

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 05:00 PM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
The one in the photo above is a bypass of the dreaded terrible horrible no-good Elise "coolant U-tube loop". What was done on your car was the "ultimate" fix for the loop, which is to remove it, cut it off and plumb it directly from the metal pipe to the block as you show in your photo. Yes I believe it's needed but BOE did you a big favor by getting rid of the stupid U-tube that no one here can figure out why in the world Lotus put on the engine in the first place. Instead the factory installed hose #24 (on the diagram posted above your photo by BritishRacingGroup) off port #28, plumbed thru the metal loop #20 (which rubs on the oil filter mount and eventually could rub thru and drain the coolant!), then back up to the port cast (or pressed?) into the block. Dumb idea. Not sure why Lotus did this, they must have had a bunch of hose and metal tubing to get rid of.

The setup you have on your car is what should have been done at the factory, but was not! The reason most people just wrap the metal loop in rubber to protect it from rub-thru is that to fix it right (the way yours was) you have to remove the engine for access.

Nick____________
2005 Elise - Chrome Orange (SOLD)
2004 Porsche 911 GT3
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickshu View Post
The one in the photo above is a bypass of the dreaded terrible horrible no-good Elise "coolant U-tube loop". What was done on your car was the "ultimate" fix for the loop, which is to remove it, cut it off and plumb it directly from the metal pipe to the block as you show in your photo. Yes I believe it's needed but BOE did you a big favor by getting rid of the stupid U-tube that no one here can figure out why in the world Lotus put on the engine in the first place. Instead the factory installed hose #24 (on the diagram posted above your photo by BritishRacingGroup) off port #28, plumbed thru the metal loop #20 (which rubs on the oil filter mount and eventually could rub thru and drain the coolant!), then back up to the port cast (or pressed?) into the block. Dumb idea. Not sure why Lotus did this, they must have had a bunch of hose and metal tubing to get rid of.

The setup you have on your car is what should have been done at the factory, but was not! The reason most people just wrap the metal loop in rubber to protect it from rub-thru is that to fix it right (the way yours was) you have to remove the engine for access.
OK so that is my old engine and I did the bypass. On the new block the port to on the engine block has been closed with a metal plug. I'm wondering if that was intentional and do I have to try to remove the plug and place a port in there?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Engine Cooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in