Coolant System Pressure - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Coolant System Pressure

For those of us who have the option, what coolant system cap pressure is ideal for the 2zz engine? BOE's swirl tank comes with a 30 psi. KISS and stick with that?

My particular setup includes: Laminova coolers for both oil and trans fluid, Wizard Cooling radiator located in the rear, all silicone 1 1/4" hoses (rated for 50 psi operating) and reinforced rubber hoses (rated for 300 psi operating) for the smaller diameter stuff, aluminum joiners, and constant torque hose clamps. My motor outputs somewhere above 200 WHP. Could be as high as 250 but I'm just guessing without a dyno. I run DI water with surfactant.

Rephrased, for a lower power application such as mine, is there any advantage or benefit of running a higher relief pressure than 30 psi?
I'd like to hear the community's thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

06' Fed Elise

My frame, rear subframe, steering rack, A-arms, front crash structure, suspension uprights, and fuel tank are stock.

Last edited by jasondew; 05-31-2015 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Visibility bump

Jason

06' Fed Elise

My frame, rear subframe, steering rack, A-arms, front crash structure, suspension uprights, and fuel tank are stock.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 05:06 PM

Contact Phil at BOE, I think he has posted about testing he has done at higher pressures and would probably know more about it than anyone else.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 05:30 AM

Are you having cooling issues??

DIY 2007 Exige S K20A2 C38 Rotrex

Www.onetonracing.com
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondew View Post
For those of us who have the option, what coolant system cap pressure is ideal for the 2zz engine? BOE's swirl tank comes with a 30 psi. KISS and stick with that?

My particular setup includes: Laminova coolers for both oil and trans fluid, Wizard Cooling radiator located in the rear, all silicone 1 1/4" hoses (rated for 50 psi operating) and reinforced rubber hoses (rated for 300 psi operating) for the smaller diameter stuff, aluminum joiners, and constant torque hose clamps. My motor outputs somewhere above 200 WHP. Could be as high as 250 but I'm just guessing without a dyno. I run DI water with surfactant.

Rephrased, for a lower power application such as mine, is there any advantage or benefit of running a higher relief pressure than 30 psi?
I'd like to hear the community's thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
At that hp, there is going to be an advantage, yes, but will you realize that advantage--- hard to say! Perhaps not :/

That said, the higher the pressure the more efficient the cooling system is going to be at getting heat away from the cylinder walls and head, and into the radiator. Even if the car is not over heating, more pressure will still pull more heat from the motor and reduce air pockets and hot spots in the head... but again, with 200hp, those benefits probably would not show on the dyno or track... In a true spec environment, where the cooling system is "open", a high pressure system may be that little edge required to eek out a win... You'll find games like that in NASCAR, etc, where cooling system pressure is a really big deal.

ALL THAT SAID, our system comes with a 30 psi cap and a schrader valve that allows you to add pressure to the system, creating an air spring (if you will). With the ability to add pressure, you can get the system all the way to 30 psi and beyond if you choose. We've seen benefits for sure in the higher hp cars... but again, can't really say on the NA cars where the cooling demands are much less...

Hope that helps,

Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 09:08 AM
Plug Whisperer

...just to add, there is a subjective quality to using a pressurized tank like ours... It's looks cool and cleans up the plumbing in the engine bay

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
At that hp, there is going to be an advantage, yes, but will you realize that advantage--- hard to say! Perhaps not :/

That said, the higher the pressure the more efficient the cooling system is going to be at getting heat away from the cylinder walls and head, and into the radiator. Even if the car is not over heating, more pressure will still pull more heat from the motor and reduce air pockets and hot spots in the head... but again, with 200hp, those benefits probably would not show on the dyno or track... In a true spec environment, where the cooling system is "open", a high pressure system may be that little edge required to eek out a win... You'll find games like that in NASCAR, etc, where cooling system pressure is a really big deal.

ALL THAT SAID, our system comes with a 30 psi cap and a schrader valve that allows you to add pressure to the system, creating an air spring (if you will). With the ability to add pressure, you can get the system all the way to 30 psi and beyond if you choose. We've seen benefits for sure in the higher hp cars... but again, can't really say on the NA cars where the cooling demands are much less...

Hope that helps,

Phil
Thanks Phil. I was thinking that a higher pressure system would help with cooling--not on the gauge but in the motor. Glad to hear that I wasn't telling myself a story to justify purchasing one more 'performance' part. I am only asking because the rest of my cooling system components are sufficient to take the pressure and I can use the 30psi cap or simply swap in a Stant 40psi without concern for the integrity of the rest of the system.

Please anxiously await my order.

Jason

06' Fed Elise

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Engine Cooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in