Help Needed! Where the heck does this hose connect? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Help Needed! Where the heck does this hose connect?

Doing an engine swap. I labeled all the hoses, vac lines, etc., but wouldn't you know it, the one coolant hose that I missed tagging is the one I really needed the help with.

I don't have picture posting capability at the moment, so I'll describe it:
The hose starts at the base of the header tank on the forward side, and is zip tied to the big bundle of hoses. It runs down and forward, where it connects with a short hard tube to another hose. This second hose is formed with several bends and has a soft foam sleeve over it. And it goes to... where? I'm damned if I can find anything to connect it to.

It would be a perfect fit for either of the two small ports on the left of the head. (The two ports are just forward of the big hose that feeds from the block to the radiator via the left side sill.) But those are taken. One connects to the upper header tank return and the other connects to the throttle body loop.

The manual, section 14.KH, has a schematic, but it is hard to follow. It seems to show the hose in question connecting to the engine water pipe, at the T under the intake manifold. But that T is taken up by the loop that Toyota runs a small oil cooler on. (Lotus bypassed this loop with the infamous u-bend booby trap).

Surely I'm missing something obvious. Somebody dope slap me, please!

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Y. Berra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 05:39 PM

So I'm looking at the instructions for my Radium coolant expansion tank, and it looks like the one from the bottom of the header tank goes to the thermostat housing.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 05:41 PM

Or I guess (since I don't have a picture) it could be the one that is the "radiator air bleed and bypass"

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 05:49 PM

OK, I found a pic of that particular hose in the radium turbo hard parts manual. it goes to the hard pipe that is on the intake manifold side of the engine, in a T coming off right near it's attachment point to the engine.

That is the pic from the Radium Manual, hope they don't mind me using it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

They won't mind, they're cool guys.

Not as cool as you, though. Thanks man! I'm running outside with a flashlight and mirror right now...

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Y. Berra
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 06:01 PM

Glad to help. My new block arrives tomorrow so I'll probably be needing some help as I get that installed.

And yes the Radium people are awesome. I'm a total fanboy of their stuff, at the very least I think everyone should have their modular rear clam kit, if they don't want to go the clam hinge route.

I look forward to hearing how things go.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

I found the port. I'll have to pull out the alternator to get access. I hope I don't have to take out the intake manifold as well, we'll see.

I made the mistake of doing several different projects on the car at once, making it easy to overlook or forget details like this. Thanks again.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Carbon Fiber

I'm going to guess you can't get to it by removing the alternator. I have been playing around behind mine fixing a crank postion sensor and saw No vacuum or coolant lines.

If brute force is not working you're not using enough.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 05:45 AM

Yeah, I hope you are able to get to it....that being said the Radium instructions have you pull the intake manifold before you start removing the hoses. I take it no way to reach from underneath, directly below it?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistHammer View Post
I'm going to guess you can't get to it by removing the alternator. I have been playing around behind mine fixing a crank postion sensor and saw No vacuum or coolant lines.
I did the fix this morning, took about 45 min.
I removed the alternator bracket and top bolt, loosened the lower bolt, and tilted the alternator toward the firewall. I removed the vent pipe so that the soft hose it connects to could be folded down out of the way. This allowed enough access to connect the hose in question, which I had fed into position by reaching up from underneath the car.
There is no way to make the connection from below, as the vent case and thermostat housings are in the way.

Obviously, the right way to deal with this hose would be to install it to the port before putting the motor in, or at least before installing the intake manifold. I got disorganized and painted myself into a corner. I am describing this method in case someone else finds themselves in the same fix.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Carbon Fiber

Well cool, glad ya got it on'

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

If brute force is not working you're not using enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Engine Cooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in