LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   Engine Cooling (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f311/)
-   -   Mishimoto Sandwich Plate with Thermostat (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f311/mishimoto-sandwich-plate-thermostat-326738/)

otoman 09-16-2015 03:35 PM

Mishimoto Sandwich Plate with Thermostat

I have dual oil cooler and my oil temps are a bit low, it seems the lotus sandwich plate has a 72C thermostat but my oil temperature never gets there on the road (unless on traffic).

My sensor is plugged on the bottom of the moroso sump so maybe I should add a few degrees for the oil entering the engine.

Anyway i was looking to replace the original sandwich plate with a one from Mishimoto and I was wondering If anyone has tried it :

Mishimoto Sandwich Plate with Rear-Mounted Thermostat, by Mishimoto

XtinctElise 09-16-2015 03:40 PM

29 Attachment(s)
Does the stock plate have a thermostat to restrict flow? Good idea, I guess I never really thought about it.

otoman 09-16-2015 04:03 PM

yes it does but I don't know if the thermostat has failed or is just lousy, but by seeing I'm not the only one experiencing low oil temps with dual coolers I'd say it's by design ...

Interestingly this part is no longer sold by Lotus and replaced by this one C120K6001F that was originally meant for 211

bri3d 09-16-2015 07:00 PM

The factory thermostat is a Mocal and opens fully at 180F. Mocal also make a 200F sandwich plate called MOC-SP1T-HT, but you have to buy the whole thing at $110 and not just the thermostat. I'd imagine any sandwich plate with 3/4-16 filter threads and 1/2" BSP fittings would work fine with the stock gear.

Krule 09-16-2015 09:07 PM

Has anyone else done this swap? Would be a quick/easy fix for our oil temp issues...

otoman 09-17-2015 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bri3d (Post 4356418)
The factory thermostat is a Mocal and opens fully at 180F. Mocal also make a 200F sandwich plate called MOC-SP1T-HT, but you have to buy the whole thing at $110 and not just the thermostat. I'd imagine any sandwich plate with 3/4-16 filter threads and 1/2" BSP fittings would work fine with the stock gear.

The Mocal is cheaper so I'm probably going with it, thanks for the tip !

I'm running thick oil so that's even more critical to me ...

Shame, there is a member that went this route (AustinP) but did not care to share the results ...

Krule 09-19-2015 01:27 PM

Can the copper looking bsp fittings between the hose ends and the plate be reused? Or should I look for some 1/2 to 5/8 bsp adapters?

bri3d 09-19-2015 01:57 PM

I bought new 1/2" to 5/8" adapters when I did mine because I wasn't sure about the OEM ones and they weren't very expensive (I think like $5 each or so).

XtinctElise 02-21-2016 11:20 AM

29 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by otoman (Post 4356970)

Shame, there is a member that went this route (AustinP) but did not care to share the results ...

So which brand did you end up using?

Was it a direct swap or did u have to change anything?

bri3d 02-21-2016 02:37 PM

Just as an update: the Mocal replacement plate doesn't fit very well as the configuration of fittings vs. thermostat is different and you can't really get an angle where the hoses come in properly but the plate also fits against the block. I had a second plate (glowshift) with my pressure takeoff so I just stacked that under the Mocal plate and it seemed to clear everything OK. But it turns out the thermostats are the same and so you can also swap the thermostats across. Another user had the same issue recently and documented it in some other thread that I really wish I could find right now...

Krule 02-21-2016 08:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bri3d (Post 4632529)
Just as an update: the Mocal replacement plate doesn't fit very well as the configuration of fittings vs. thermostat is different and you can't really get an angle where the hoses come in properly but the plate also fits against the block. I had a second plate (glowshift) with my pressure takeoff so I just stacked that under the Mocal plate and it seemed to clear everything OK. But it turns out the thermostats are the same and so you can also swap the thermostats across. Another user had the same issue recently and documented it in some other thread that I really wish I could find right now...

Its deep in one of the oil temp posts.
Long and short, the after market mocal plate doesn't fit due to its port location and size. The thermostat, however can be directly swapped, prly could leave the plate on the car when doing it.
Now, in regards to oil temp....
The oil will get a bit hotter, but not 200'. The problem most likely is due to the oil volume and the passive cooling from the coolers even when the thermostat is open causing the oil to remain in less then ideal temps. Blocking off one or both of the coolers will still need to happen. I am going to be relocation my oil cooler soon, as i feel the high temp thermostat and a proper oil cooler is the way to go...
Here are some pics...

AustinP 02-22-2016 04:11 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by otoman (Post 4356970)

That'd be me. I got the parts, including the adapter fittings, but still haven't gotten around to installing it. Last couple oil changes I did I was in a hurry, and didn't want to take the extra time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

XtinctElise 03-07-2016 06:25 PM

Is the Mishimoto Thermostat a Direct Replacement?

29 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krule (Post 4632769)
Its deep in one of the oil temp posts.
Long and short, the after market mocal plate doesn't fit due to its port location and size. The thermostat, however can be directly swapped, prly could leave the plate on the car when doing it.
Now, in regards to oil temp....
The oil will get a bit hotter, but not 200'. The problem most likely is due to the oil volume and the passive cooling from the coolers even when the thermostat is open causing the oil to remain in less then ideal temps. Blocking off one or both of the coolers will still need to happen. I am going to be relocation my oil cooler soon, as i feel the high temp thermostat and a proper oil cooler is the way to go...
Here are some pics...

Do you know if the Mishimoto Thermostat is a direct replacement or if it has fitment issues?

Mishimoto Thermostatic Oil Sandwich Plate, by Mishimoto

Krule 03-07-2016 09:14 PM

Cant say as i have never had one. The mishimoto plate looks like it might fit, but it a tight around the block and pan...