Oil Coolant Removal (not replacement) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
451
Registered User
 
451's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Side
Posts: 967
Oil Coolant Removal (not replacement)

Greetings all, I know there's threads about removing the stock oil cooler system and replacing it with better lines, relocating things as well as replacing it with different brand oil coolant systems altogether.

My question is, and I've seen this alluded to in other posts, could you (in practice or theory), just remove the oil coolant system altogether with a simple U-style pipe fitting at the sandwich plate?

Could/should/would the engine run normal? Is that an issue for everyday driving around town, highway, some stop n' go traffic in SoCal climate where it's usually sunny and between 50-90F most places, most of the year? Would I expect to throw engine codes doing that?

And if it's relatively safe, and the car isn't being tracked or raced, wouldn't it then be alright to snip the original coolant line fittings off and remove the whole shebang?
451 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Registered User
 
Apex_in_sno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by 451 View Post
Greetings all, I know there's threads about removing the stock oil cooler system and replacing it with better lines, relocating things as well as replacing it with different brand oil coolant systems altogether.

My question is, and I've seen this alluded to in other posts, could you (in practice or theory), just remove the oil coolant system altogether with a simple U-style pipe fitting at the sandwich plate?

Could/should/would the engine run normal? Is that an issue for everyday driving around town, highway, some stop n' go traffic in SoCal climate where it's usually sunny and between 50-90F most places, most of the year? Would I expect to throw engine codes doing that?

And if it's relatively safe, and the car isn't being tracked or raced, wouldn't it then be alright to snip the original coolant line fittings off and remove the whole shebang?
The part from toyota to use an oil filter without the cooling sandwich is like 12 bucks, which will be way less money than sourcing those bastard sandwich fittings...
The consenus appears to be that non tracked cars will be fine without an oil cooler...
The ECU has no knowledge of the oil cooling system, also you will see an increase in usable oil pressure (there's quite a bit of overhead involved in pushing that oil up front and through the cooler(s)

VFII, Eliseparts Sequential, Geartronics Paddle shift.
You name it, I've probably got that installed too...
1864lbs, full tank
Otherwise, it's bone stock....
Apex_in_sno is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Registered User
 
khauger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 71
I was going to ask the same thing. Is anyone seeing any problems with removing the oil cooling system. Is it really only needed for tracked cars? How do you know if you are hurting anything without the coolers.
khauger is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
451
Registered User
 
451's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Side
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_in_sno View Post
The part from toyota to use an oil filter without the cooling sandwich is like 12 bucks, which will be way less money than sourcing those bastard sandwich fittings...
The consenus appears to be that non tracked cars will be fine without an oil cooler...
The ECU has no knowledge of the oil cooling system, also you will see an increase in usable oil pressure (there's quite a bit of overhead involved in pushing that oil up front and through the cooler(s)
Thanks man Do you know or maybe someone else might be kind enough to chime in on what the part number is for that Toyota bit? Or were you just meaning that you could run a different oil filter altogether that would eliminate the sandwich plate that way?
451 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Registered User
 
Apex_in_sno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by 451 View Post
Thanks man Do you know or maybe someone else might be kind enough to chime in on what the part number is for that Toyota bit? Or were you just meaning that you could run a different oil filter altogether that would eliminate the sandwich plate that way?
The part number is already posted on another active thread, but here it is anyway.
Union: Toyota 90904-04002
This part will allow you to run the same filter you currently run without the sandwich plate.

Check the thread oil cooler delete, or sandwich delete, all the pics are there.

VFII, Eliseparts Sequential, Geartronics Paddle shift.
You name it, I've probably got that installed too...
1864lbs, full tank
Otherwise, it's bone stock....

Last edited by Apex_in_sno; 07-12-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Apex_in_sno is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Registered User
 
robains's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: CA, Bay Area
Posts: 3,738
Yes it's safe (and probably safer than Lotus setup)

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
robains is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by robains View Post
Yes it's safe (and probably safer than Lotus setup)
For N/A or S/C or both?
slightly2ned is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 07:42 AM
Registered User
 
robains's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: CA, Bay Area
Posts: 3,738
Both for street applications.

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
robains is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
451
Registered User
 
451's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Side
Posts: 967
Thanks again guys for the help
451 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Engine Cooling

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome