LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   Engine Cooling (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f311/)
-   -   Question: replacing rear rad hoses at water/coolant pipes (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f311/question-replacing-rear-rad-hoses-water-coolant-pipes-295985/)

Lotusmotion 04-09-2015 06:50 AM

Question: replacing rear rad hoses at water/coolant pipes

While reviewing Lotus Service Notes Section KH (Engine Cooling) I was surprised to read this tidbit in Section KH.6, item 2 about replacing the rear hoses:

To release the hoses from the rear ends of the water pipes requires that the fuel tank be removed. Access is available only via apertures in the inner walls of the chassis siderails within the fuel tank bay. To remove the tank refer to sub-section LJ.4. The hoses are secured to the rear ends of the water pipes by spring clamps requiring a suitable tool to release.

:eek:

Anyone have experience with replacing the rear hoses and know if there is a work-around?

lotus_dp 04-14-2015 01:52 PM

Any luck with an answer to this? I'm considering replacing all my hoses when I replace my rad... which has been ordered.

Seems since Sector 111 sells the complete hose kit, someone should have experience replacing hoses in the rear. :scratchhead:

Lotusmotion 04-14-2015 02:38 PM

I read Lotus Service Notes Section LJ.4 understand the scope of work required.

The coolant/water tubes are buried deep in the chassis rails. Removal of the gas tank is indeed required, and getting to the hoses might still be a PITA. To me, it looks like it would be a fairly time consuming and tedious project.

No one has offered a work-around solution, and I cannot see that one would be possible given the car's design and location of the rear hoses.

I just completed pulling the clam and replacing the radiator and brake lines on my '06 Exige. It was not difficult but was time-consuming because of the tight packaging and fiddly bits.

I plan to eventually replace the rear hoses but will do so once I determine any other maintenance required or upgrades desired in the engine bay that could be done at the same time.

lotus_dp 04-14-2015 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the info... you saved me some grief. I assumed the feed pipes went all the way through. The pic makes it look that way.

Did you change your front hoses? Is it possible the push the feed pipes toward the rear of the car... enough the replace the rear hoses, then push the tubes back to the front???

Lotusmotion 04-14-2015 05:23 PM

Yes, I did change the front hoses and brake lines while the clam was off.

There is some play (maybe an inch or so) of forward / aft movement of the coolant pipes when the front hoses are disconnected. Though, I don't think you'll gain enough real estate to accomplish a work-around that prevents removing of the gas tank. In reality, the coolant pipes are actually a lot shorter than the diagram shows.

lotus_dp 04-14-2015 09:32 PM

Thanks again. I'll get some front hoses ordered and hope my rear hoses last a while.... :facepalm

Found this:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...nt-hell-40515/

Lotusmotion 04-15-2015 06:54 AM

lotus_dp, nice find! I missed kverges' posting in my searches of this topic, but after reading it I do recall seeing it before (most likely in 2007 when posted). His comments are consistent with the work scope per the Lotus Service Manual.

Lotus...:facepalm, and again :facepalm...

I would suspect that the rear hoses in your car as well as mine will likely be okay for another one to three years. I was amazed at how fresh looking and supple feeling the original OEM front hoses on my car were when removed and inspected. Though, the front hoses don't get baked by engine bay heat on a regular basis like the rear ones do, so I would expect the rear ones deteriorate at a much faster rate.

It seems that you could combine other preventative maintenance work with replacement of the rear hoses in order to prevent duplicating effort later, such as replacing the shifter cables (the OEM ones are known to crack, and they do become sloppy from wear), maybe upgrading the coolant tank (Radium makes a nice drop-in replacement, and the OEM one is known to fall apart), and inspecting and replacing the fuel lines.

I plan to take this approach and also pre-emptively replace the thermostat at the same time if it doesn't toast before then.

lotus_dp 04-15-2015 11:01 AM

Good plan!

Of course, in a pinch.... one could splice a hose at a convenient location if a failure occurs. May buy some time until you wanted to tear your Loti apart. Especially since our hoses are already "sliced" through the frame rail...

Even Sector 111 complete hose kit says "Installing a new rebuilt engine? Now is the perfect time to install this kit."