Radiator fan(s) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shoof

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Radiator fan(s)

So, I had my clear bra replaced last week on my 07 exige along with some minor fiberglass work on the underside of the clam (clam off work).
on the way home from the shop I notice my temp was at 220...
upon further investigation I have found out that my radiator fans are no longer coming on when the temp gets high.
however the fans do activate (at full rpm) if the AC is turned on. In addition I think the driver side fan may not be working 100%, there is a noticeable difference in air flow between the left and right side vents. I have examined the fuses and they appear good. I also looked at the ac relay and it also appears to be ok, I have not put a volt meter on it because I am not really sure what I sould look for.
temperature is fine when I am moving with or without the AC, it is just when I get into traffic that the temp goes up quick. If the AC is on it delays it a little but but eventually will get north of 215.

if one fan is bad would that cause this issue?
what else can I look at to help diagnose the problem?

thanks for the help guys

AJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krule View Post
So, I had my clear bra replaced last week on my 07 exige along with some minor fiberglass work on the underside of the clam (clam off work).
on the way home from the shop I notice my temp was at 220...
upon further investigation I have found out that my radiator fans are no longer coming on when the temp gets high.
however the fans do activate (at full rpm) if the AC is turned on. In addition I think the driver side fan may not be working 100%, there is a noticeable difference in air flow between the left and right side vents. I have examined the fuses and they appear good. I also looked at the ac relay and it also appears to be ok, I have not put a volt meter on it because I am not really sure what I sould look for.
temperature is fine when I am moving with or without the AC, it is just when I get into traffic that the temp goes up quick. If the AC is on it delays it a little but but eventually will get north of 215.

if one fan is bad would that cause this issue?
what else can I look at to help diagnose the problem?

thanks for the help guys

AJ
Sometimes when the clam is removed, wires get crimped on the re-install.
A few suggestions, replace fuse F14, sometimes they look OK, but are not.
You can troubleshoot the Fan module, but one step at a time.
The cabin AC vents have nothing to do with the cooling fans.
With the AC on and the fans working it should control the temperature rise, so maybe only one fan is working.
Michael

Last edited by SirLotus; 08-12-2012 at 01:43 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Sirlotus,
I replaced both 14 and 19 fuses
still only one fan and no slow speed.
if a wire got crimped on the install of the clam where should I be looking for it? I assume there are more than one set of wires running to the fans?

Thanks again

AJ

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 04:56 AM

I think you may have a defective A/C Control Module, but check the plug connecter and wiring first.
There are ways to trouble shoot the module by jumping wires, let me know if you want to go that route.
Michael

Last edited by SirLotus; 08-13-2012 at 05:06 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 06:52 AM

Sometimes the Fan Controller or its conections are disturbed when the clam is removed, check to see if contacts are clean and in place. #6 in the diagram.... is located under the right front fender on a LHD car, remove rt. side inspection cover and you will find it, has two plugs.
Attached Images

LZ LoLo survivor

Last edited by 407Driver; 08-13-2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Attachment
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys.
I will take a closer look at the wiring behind the ac module. It appeared the the wires were ok, but I have to confirm.
sirlotus, how would I go about testing the ac module to see if it is bad?

a side note, I was surprised to find that the fuse that was in #19 was a 30 amp fuse, I replaced it with a 20 amp...

AJ
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krule View Post
thanks guys.
I will take a closer look at the wiring behind the ac module. It appeared the the wires were ok, but I have to confirm.
sirlotus, how would I go about testing the ac module to see if it is bad?

a side note, I was surprised to find that the fuse that was in #19 was a 30 amp fuse, I replaced it with a 20 amp...

AJ
AJ,
You need to jumper the brown/orange to the purple/gray, thereby bypassing the #3 relay contact. If the relay is bad the both fans will operate at slow speed. If not we have to perform other tests. Good(smart) move in replacing with a 20A fuse.
Michael
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Dumb question...
How would (should) I jump between the wires? should I get some spade connectors and make a simple patch cable? or can an aligator clip fit in there?
Is there anything I should be aware of with running (not driving) the car with the relay removed for this test?

Thanks again for your help
AJ
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

ok, I finally found time to testing the relay, life has been busy...
I made a quick patch cable out of 14 awg wire and some spade connectors, plugged in to the wiring harness at the brown/orange and purple gray wire ports...

nothing, no fans came on.
so, guess my relay is working fine.

I assume I should test the fans themselves, can I test for continuity from the wiring harness or do I have to pop the clam off to get access to the wiring. Assuming I should be testing for continuity...

If i understand the wiring of the fans, half speed is run in series, full speed is parallel. so if one fan is bad, no fans would work at low speed (broken circuit) but in high speed it would still complete the circuit even if one fan is bad.

Thanks guys

AJ
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Conclusion to this whole deal...

One of my radiator fans was bad. I had Newport European replace my radiator and take a look at my fans. The drivers side fan was not spinning freely. VSA gave some downer fans when I was there to have them take a look at it.

Anyway, bad fans can happen .

AJ

07 Exige Phantom Black
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 08:16 PM

+1

I noticed two summers ago, that at speed, the temps were fine, but once I hit traffic, the car was overheating, BAD. Turned out that one of the fans went bad and were not turning on at all, which I replaced, and I was all back to normal.
SL1DE likes this.

'07 Exige S - Graphite Gray
'14 Scion iQ (to park damn near anywhere)
'17 Lexus NX200
'17 BMW M3 6MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Engine Cooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in