Upgrading Radiator System Questions on Components - Page 12 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #221 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 07:38 AM
Plug Whisperer

185+/-....

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 233 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
The radiator mounting points seem identical.

This fan mount kit is nice
Cooling Fan Fitting kit

Cooling Fan Fitting kit (Elise, Exige, 340R, Europa, VX220) [FANFK] - €24.35 : Elise Shop, Performance parts for your Lotus Elise
Did you ever purchase this kit and see if it works for a pull-mounted fan?
post #223 of 233 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 10:56 PM

So I want to do a radiator upgrade with my oil line service - I looked through this thread and I'm unsure as to what the best route to go is.

1. The sector111 ProRad is $550 but the Elise-shop Aluminium Triple Pass RACE Radiator is $360.08

2. Assuming I do buy the elise-shop radiator, is the fan fitting kit necessary?

Drives a Prius (clearly knows nothing about cars).

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff

post #224 of 233 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 06:02 PM

I finally got around to changing my stock radiator (to BOE Pro Alloy single pass), stock pusher fans (to Sector 111 pullers), pulled out A/C condenser, and changing thermostat (to Duralast 15078).

This was the first time I removed the front clam. Over all this was a pretty easy job. I'm rather enjoying wrenching on this car.

I had an issue with a bad fan module (since I bought the car) and Auto Europe took care of that today (for free). Fans were not being turned on due to temp. All good now and VERY happy with the service from Auto Europe.

I used Toyota pink coolant. Filling the car could not have been easier. I've read stories of hours spent bleeding. So, I bought an AirLift 55000 kit and it literally took a few minutes to complete the fill (with no messing around with the bleeders).

I had to do a little shaving on the radiator outlet grills so they would fit over the puller fans.

post #225 of 233 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete View Post
I finally got around to changing my stock radiator (to BOE Pro Alloy single pass), stock pusher fans (to Sector 111 pullers), pulled out A/C condenser, and changing thermostat (to Duralast 15078).

This was the first time I removed the front clam. Over all this was a pretty easy job. I'm rather enjoying wrenching on this car.

I had an issue with a bad fan module (since I bought the car) and Auto Europe took care of that today (for free). Fans were not being turned on due to temp. All good now and VERY happy with the service from Auto Europe.

I used Toyota pink coolant. Filling the car could not have been easier. I've read stories of hours spent bleeding. So, I bought an AirLift 55000 kit and it literally took a few minutes to complete the fill (with no messing around with the bleeders).

I had to do a little shaving on the radiator outlet grills so they would fit over the puller fans.
All good info. Thanks for posting. The Airlift looks BA.
post #226 of 233 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 PM

If you are lazy but patient like me you can use this method to bleed your radiator after install. I took a Small tube and siphoned coolant into the lines through the bleeder holes. It took a long time but it is hands off. I worked on something else while I waited

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Seriously, my car is small
07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
05 Saffron Yellow "bumbleBee", on to a new owner
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
post #227 of 233 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 08:07 AM

Also I would like to sudgest we take up a small collection in order to fly somebody to the UK, Locate the inept designer of the radiator and condenser mounting set up, and punch him in the nose.

Its not like the setup is THAT hard to deal with, but it is a PITA and there is no real reason for the way it is fitted together. It could have been designed to be alot more servicable with minimal effort and compromise.

07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
Also:
post #228 of 233 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 01:54 PM

Since I have the clam off to replace my radiator I'm considering purchasing the Sector111 top mount fan kit to replace the pushers on the bottom. I live in Houston and in the summer the engine temps get very high with the ac on. I don't think I have a coolant leak, but I haven't checked that hard for one. I autox now and then and would like to track a few times a year, nothing crazy. Sector111 doesn't recommend the top mount fan kit for cars with A/C. Is it worth it in my case to purchase this?

My Prelude rebuild.
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=256458

2008 Lotus Elise | Storm TI | Touring Pack | A/C Insulation Mod | Aluminum Carpet Buttons | JBL GTO Series Speakers | Alpine iDA_X100 | GRP Trunk Strut | darthHOLDER | re-ENFORCER | BOE TOC Oil Pan | Pro Alloy Rad | BOE Toe Links
post #229 of 233 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 06:18 PM

My exige has fine temps in Houston with an aftermarket rad and stock fans. They key is to get a good bleed with an airlift tool

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
Also:
post #230 of 233 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 06:44 PM

Is there a specific air lift tool for the elise?

My Prelude rebuild.

2008 Lotus Elise | Storm TI | Touring Pack | A/C Insulation Mod | Aluminum Carpet Buttons | JBL GTO Series Speakers | Alpine iDA_X100 | GRP Trunk Strut | darthHOLDER | re-ENFORCER | BOE TOC Oil Pan | Pro Alloy Rad | BOE Toe Links
post #231 of 233 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 07:44 PM

There is a cheap version and an expensive version. The cheaper one works great.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
Also:
post #232 of 233 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 09:37 AM

Also, IIRC I think you live near me shirp (front side of the woodlands)?

If you pinky swear to bring it back you can borrow my air lift tool. They are nice tools to have but you really only need to use it once every few years.

07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
Also:
post #233 of 233 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 06:44 PM

Doh - I actually just bought it on Amazon this morning. When I finished school I lived with my parents in the Woodlands. I bought a house out in Cypress. Everything is close though . Doesn't meant I can't take advantage of your other elise tools :P

My Prelude rebuild.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Engine Cooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in