When to go to an Electric Water Pump? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Question When to go to an Electric Water Pump?

I'm elbows deep into my REV400 w/ front Hex install and AC removal. I find myself wondering what else I should be doing while the front end is torn down. Regarding cooling I see some cars, turbophil for example, have switched to an electric water pump instead of the OEM mechanical impeller. I found old posts of people using a Davies Craig EWP115, which from my perspective is a cheap mod and now is a great time to do it. However, I can't decide if this is a good move or not.

It appears there are 3 common ways to setup an electric pump.
1. Always on, engine thermostat removed
2. Always on, Engine thermostat installed with a 5mm hole drilled in it
3. electronic controller w/ variable speed control based upon temp, engine thermostat installed, also controls fans. This also allows running the EWP and fans for 2 min after engine shutdown to reduce heat soak.

Questions:
What is the reasoning most use to determine moving to an EWP?
If I did #3, would I be able to remove the AC switch relay pack up front (and remove the wiring)?
Any issues running the fans and EWP for 2 min with a light weight battery (Odyssey PC625 or Shorai LFX36L3-BS12)?

My use of the Exige is mainly Track days, debating on doing TTs this year, AutoX, and occasionally tooling around town w/ cars and coffee.

2006 Lotus Exige: Avery Matte Graphite wrap, partial built motor (9:1 Mahle pistons, Ferrea Competition valves, ACT Clutch, ARP head studs), REV400, Nitron SAs, BOE QS exhaust, Ultradisc rotors, Moroso Oil pan, Circuitworks oil pump, CF Stuff (Cup Roof, ReVerie diffusor, side scoops, APR air dam, craftsquare mirrors), Worksbell quick release, Odyssey PC625, Morimoto Xenon HID, BOE Rear Oil Cooler, Difflow Aeroplates, BOE Swirl Pot, DaviesCraig EWP, Reversed Heater Matrix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

bump, nobody is running an EWP?

2006 Lotus Exige: Avery Matte Graphite wrap, partial built motor (9:1 Mahle pistons, Ferrea Competition valves, ACT Clutch, ARP head studs), REV400, Nitron SAs, BOE QS exhaust, Ultradisc rotors, Moroso Oil pan, Circuitworks oil pump, CF Stuff (Cup Roof, ReVerie diffusor, side scoops, APR air dam, craftsquare mirrors), Worksbell quick release, Odyssey PC625, Morimoto Xenon HID, BOE Rear Oil Cooler, Difflow Aeroplates, BOE Swirl Pot, DaviesCraig EWP, Reversed Heater Matrix
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 01:14 PM
Sold my Exige S

EWP seems a bit overkill for your setup. Try a 160F t-stat and log the temps on track. I'd be surprised if that doesn't give you the cooling you need for a lot less money and grief than an EWP.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 03:00 PM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwehnes View Post
bump, nobody is running an EWP?
I asked something similar when my stock water pump gave up. I believe BOE has done this a few times, might be worth a call to them. I'd agree that an electric pump would be a good thing, it will also eliminate the recirculating pump that comes stock. It will also provide a more consistent water flow then the mechanical pump through the RPM range. I'm not a fan of keeping the mechanical pump in place and just removing the impellers though, not sure if there is an option to put a blocking plate and change the belt routing though.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 03:08 PM

I've seen quite a few EWP's fail on friends cars (not Lotus models)....the stock and very common belt driven WP are reliable...much more so than the electric ones....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 06:36 PM

I think Greg from GRP or Phil from BOE had on DC115 on their track car a few years ago with good results. With the DC kit it has a controller for the pump and you can even run the post shutdown cooling for heat soak. They do recommend removing the thermostat from the factory housing with those. End state the DC controller controls everything. They mounted it up near the driver side radiator in the from the pics I remember seeing. I have one I'm waiting to install. Way more popular mod in Australia. I'll see if I can find the write up.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

I found turbophil's write up on his here

This is what originally put the idea in my head. I love the benefits of the EWP and the fact I can bleed the system without running the engine (just a convenience) and heat soak benefits.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 05:16 AM

I'm using that pump on my auto-x car. I have a wire tapped off the cooling fan wire that triggers a relay to run the waterpump. It works quite well. No issues here. Is it worth it for a street car? No.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
I'm using that pump on my auto-x car. I have a wire tapped off the cooling fan wire that triggers a relay to run the waterpump. It works quite well. No issues here. Is it worth it for a street car? No.
If you don't my asking, why did you opt to not leverage the Davies Craig controller for additional functionality and control?

I take it you removed the mechanical impellers and thermostat as well?

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwehnes View Post
If you don't my asking, why did you opt to not leverage the Davies Craig controller for additional functionality and control?

I take it you removed the mechanical impellers and thermostat as well?
I'm running an EFI X2 so controlling my fan set points is very easy. It's a simplicity thing. Why run more controllers if one does it all? Basically, after the car heats up, my fans run all the time since the nature of auto-x is: go take a run at 10/10ths and then sit still for 15-30 min. I need max cooling in grid. Car makes 34 psi peak boost. Things get hot.

Impeller and t-stat are removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Engine Cooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in