05 Elise AC Problem. Need Help - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 01:51 PM

Check here Improved Ac under Evaporator Coil Freezing. In the photo there is a black box in the center on the aluminum frame, that is the control box for the upgraded thermostat. If you bought the car new it is impossible you have it.
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Does anyone know if there is a visual difference between the old version and the new version? The dealer is telling me that my current thermostat is identical to the part A120P0149S including the part number. I bought the car new in Sept of 05, and I know that the thermostat has never been changed out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 02:49 AM

Thanks, the car is still at the dealers and the insist that it has the electronic thermostat, I guess I'll check it when I get it home.

With a car like this I could, dare I say it, Rule The World
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 02:40 PM

Sorry to bump a dead thread, but I figured I'd post here instead of starting a new one, adding to the many A/C threads.

Has anyone ever come across this type of bracket? Unfortunately, mine also seems to be located in the correct position. At this point I'll probably look to order an electric one ASAP. My system works "decent" and then starts to cycle the clutch on and off after about 20 minutes of driving in 90-100 degree North Carolina heat. At that point, it barely blows air out of the system, a tell-tale sign of frozen evaporator coil freezing.
Attached Images

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:06 PM

Not sure your question
Have you removed the recirc blocking plates in the car?
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
Not sure your question
Have you removed the recirc blocking plates in the car?
Sorry for the lack of clarification. I've yet to remove the recirc blocking plates. I was hoping to see if anyone has identified my particular thermostat probe setup. In my photo, there is a metal bracket shaped like this:

| |
|____|

Holding the probe against the evap fins. I've heard from someone that there was a TSB that had the probe moved inside the fins themselves? Regardless, my issue is that the A/C compressor will kick on and off (you can hear it and "feel" it while driving) in really hot weather. I'm assuming this has to do with the extreme heat soak and slow response of the older style thermostat. Now to find a retailer of the electric thermostat.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 03:36 PM

The evaporator coil is freezing up.You need to install the electronic thermostat, available from Lotus, it will cure the issue.
Michael
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:11 AM

The compressor will cycle this is normal. Decreased airflow is a sign of icing. You can get acceptable performance with the original thermostat, although I have yet to experiment with the updated one to see what it does. You need to remove the recirc covers. The airflow restriction they create is responsible for most of the icing, the thermostat update is just a bodge

What I did:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f31...rework-348738/

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25...usions-375169/
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
The compressor will cycle this is normal. Decreased airflow is a sign of icing. You can get acceptable performance with the original thermostat, although I have yet to experiment with the updated one to see what it does. You need to remove the recirc covers. The airflow restriction they create is responsible for most of the icing, the thermostat update is just a bodge

What I did:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f31...rework-348738/

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25...usions-375169/
exigegus and SirLotus,

Thank you both for this info! My A/C is now working better than it ever has, even in the North Carolina summer heat. The true test will be a nice 95* scorcher, shouldn't be too hard to come across.

I followed the tips posted in probably 5 different threads on this forum, so far here is what I noticed and the actions I took:

* Noticed that on extremely hot days the A/C would barely work after around 10 minutes (likely frozen evap)
* Had the A/C system recharged and refilled to OEM specs. This was probably just a requirement I'd need regardless, but it didn't solve my problem
* I went to check out the probe (photos above) and insulated the main spline along with many other trim pieces (attempted the hose but had issues getting it back on). This semed to help some -- my probe was in the right position but wasn't in the fins. I slightly positioned it against the fins but didn't place it inside of the fins as per one of the documents above.

Next, I came back to this thread and finally removed the driverside recirc panel. OMG, the system performed PERFECTLY yesterday. My wife and I were both blown away with how well the system was performing and we actually had to turn it off a few times because it was so cold!

Quote:
You need to remove the recirc covers. The airflow restriction they create is responsible for most of the icing, the thermostat update is just a bodge
I'm honestly starting to think this was the missing link for everything. The system cycled, as normal, but not every 3 seconds like it was doing before.. plus, the airflow is so much better. Thank you guys for the tips!
exigegus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > A/C, Heating and Ventilation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in