exigegus and SirLotus,
Thank you both for this info! My A/C is now working better than it ever has, even in the North Carolina summer heat. The true test will be a nice 95* scorcher, shouldn't be too hard to come across.
I followed the tips posted in probably 5 different threads on this forum, so far here is what I noticed and the actions I took:
* Noticed that on extremely hot days the A/C would barely work after around 10 minutes (likely frozen evap)
* Had the A/C system recharged and refilled to OEM specs. This was probably just a requirement I'd need regardless, but it didn't solve my problem
* I went to check out the probe (photos above) and insulated the main spline along with many other trim pieces (attempted the hose but had issues getting it back on). This semed to help some -- my probe was in the right position but wasn't in the fins. I slightly positioned it against the fins but didn't place it inside of the fins as per one of the documents above.
Next, I came back to this thread and finally removed the driverside recirc panel. OMG, the system performed PERFECTLY yesterday. My wife and I were both blown away with how well the system was performing and we actually had to turn it off a few times because it was so cold!
You need to remove the recirc covers. The airflow restriction they create is responsible for most of the icing, the thermostat update is just a bodge
I'm honestly starting to think this was the missing link for everything. The system cycled, as normal, but not every 3 seconds like it was doing before.. plus, the airflow is so much better. Thank you guys for the tips!