LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   A/C, Heating and Ventilation (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f313/)
-   -   [05 Elise] Rainstick-like noise from the dash when turning (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f313/05-elise-rainstick-like-noise-dash-when-turning-314889/)

highlow 07-12-2015 10:05 AM

[05 Elise] Rainstick-like noise from the dash when turning

When my AC is on and I make a right turn, a rainstick-like sound comes from under the dash. Googling the problem brings up a lot of similar issues with other cars, but nothing for the elise.

According to these guys on the Yaris forum (Air Conditioner Noise & Leak? - Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site), the issue is a plugged drain tube.

How would I access this tube on the elise?

Has anyone else experienced this and been able to fix it?

bri3d 07-12-2015 10:41 AM

It's a black piece of wire conduit (... because Lotus) on the passenger's side front of the car, exiting near the front suspension A-arm pickup.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/whats-tube-28416/

To access the top of the tube (HVAC box) is a brutal job (search resistor pack replacement) but the drain end of the tube should be visible if you want to try to run a wire through it or something.

I would also double check that the HVAC compartment drain holes are drilled correctly: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/1496844-post3.html

If the noise persists, I would suspect a piece of gravel in the chassis somewhere, although I guess if it's only happening with the A/C on your drain theory is probably accurate.

vaughn 07-12-2015 01:26 PM

Mine just started doing this. So funny someone else just started having the issue too. Only thing I have done in a while is change the dashboard out with a carbon fiber one. I am going to show this post to my shop, MC Customs, and hopefully they will be able to work it out. They always do!

highlow 07-13-2015 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bri3d (Post 4209433)
It's a black piece of wire conduit (... because Lotus) on the passenger's side front of the car, exiting near the front suspension A-arm pickup.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/whats-tube-28416/

To access the top of the tube (HVAC box) is a brutal job (search resistor pack replacement) but the drain end of the tube should be visible if you want to try to run a wire through it or something.

I would also double check that the HVAC compartment drain holes are drilled correctly: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/1496844-post3.html

If the noise persists, I would suspect a piece of gravel in the chassis somewhere, although I guess if it's only happening with the A/C on your drain theory is probably accurate.

I'll see what I can do about the drain plug. It seems to be working though, it drips a ton after a long drive in the florida heat with the ac on.

Were the drain holes a recall item or do all cars have them?

bri3d 07-13-2015 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highlow (Post 4210377)
I'll see what I can do about the drain plug. It seems to be working though, it drips a ton after a long drive in the florida heat with the ac on.

Were the drain holes a recall item or do all cars have them?

They were a service bulletin item. If you're sure the noise only happens with the A/C on, I'm not sure how they could be the culprit - if there's water in there, it'll be in there all the time. But it's probably still a good idea to have them done anyway as you really don't want to deal with replacing the blower motor controller/resistors if they get wet.

highlow 07-13-2015 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bri3d (Post 4210513)
They were a service bulletin item. If you're sure the noise only happens with the A/C on, I'm not sure how they could be the culprit - if there's water in there, it'll be in there all the time. But it's probably still a good idea to have them done anyway as you really don't want to deal with replacing the blower motor controller/resistors if they get wet.

Yeah, it's only when the AC is on.

Another interesting note, the noise is louder on higher ac settings. You can hear it at 1, but its louder at 3.

highlow 07-15-2015 09:44 AM

One more note. The noise immediately goes away when I turn the AC off.

surferpkt 07-15-2015 11:11 AM

Maybe you have leaves in your blower box??? The factory seal can be horrible. Mine was just awful and doing no good, so I had to redo the seal when the service bulletin was being done.

Yersinia08 07-15-2015 12:12 PM

I had this problem but it turned out to be birdseed that a mouse or something stored up there during the winter months when the car was in storage. When I takes turns now little seeds hit my shins.

highlow 07-15-2015 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yersinia08 (Post 4215521)
I had this problem but it turned out to be birdseed that a mouse or something stored up there during the winter months when the car was in storage. When I takes turns now little seeds hit my shins.

Your problem was dependant on whether or not the AC was on?

Yersinia08 07-15-2015 04:25 PM

Sorry I didn't clarify. Happens all the time.

dma550 07-15-2015 05:26 PM

I had about 100 empty nuts in my dash on my last Elise. Found them doing the switch pack replacement.

vaughn 07-15-2015 06:11 PM

Mine only happens when my blower motor is on. Doesn't matter if I have the AC on or off. As long as its blowing out air, I get the noise.

jefrac 07-15-2015 06:28 PM

Possibly a trunk shaman.

highlow 07-15-2015 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaughn (Post 4216257)
Mine only happens when my blower motor is on. Doesn't matter if I have the AC on or off. As long as its blowing out air, I get the noise.

I haven't tested this. I suspect it's the same for me but I'll try tomorrow.

vaughn 07-15-2015 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highlow (Post 4216361)
I haven't tested this. I suspect it's the same for me but I'll try tomorrow.

Yea just turn the AC part off but the blower fan still on.. it'll still happen.

vaughn 07-22-2015 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highlow (Post 4209385)
When my AC is on and I make a right turn, a rainstick-like sound comes from under the dash. Googling the problem brings up a lot of similar issues with other cars, but nothing for the elise.

According to these guys on the Yaris forum (Air Conditioner Noise & Leak? - Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site), the issue is a plugged drain tube.

How would I access this tube on the elise?

Has anyone else experienced this and been able to fix it?

Any updates?

highlow 07-22-2015 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaughn (Post 4230722)
Any updates?

Nope. Haven't tried anything yet.

It's not a huge priority for me either, so no major push to get it done.