[05 Elise] Rainstick-like noise from the dash when turning - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

[05 Elise] Rainstick-like noise from the dash when turning

When my AC is on and I make a right turn, a rainstick-like sound comes from under the dash. Googling the problem brings up a lot of similar issues with other cars, but nothing for the elise.

According to these guys on the Yaris forum (Air Conditioner Noise & Leak? - Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site), the issue is a plugged drain tube.

How would I access this tube on the elise?

Has anyone else experienced this and been able to fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 10:41 AM

It's a black piece of wire conduit (... because Lotus) on the passenger's side front of the car, exiting near the front suspension A-arm pickup.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/whats-tube-28416/

To access the top of the tube (HVAC box) is a brutal job (search resistor pack replacement) but the drain end of the tube should be visible if you want to try to run a wire through it or something.

I would also double check that the HVAC compartment drain holes are drilled correctly: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/1496844-post3.html

If the noise persists, I would suspect a piece of gravel in the chassis somewhere, although I guess if it's only happening with the A/C on your drain theory is probably accurate.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 01:26 PM
BANNED

Mine just started doing this. So funny someone else just started having the issue too. Only thing I have done in a while is change the dashboard out with a carbon fiber one. I am going to show this post to my shop, MC Customs, and hopefully they will be able to work it out. They always do!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri3d View Post
It's a black piece of wire conduit (... because Lotus) on the passenger's side front of the car, exiting near the front suspension A-arm pickup.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/whats-tube-28416/

To access the top of the tube (HVAC box) is a brutal job (search resistor pack replacement) but the drain end of the tube should be visible if you want to try to run a wire through it or something.

I would also double check that the HVAC compartment drain holes are drilled correctly: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/1496844-post3.html

If the noise persists, I would suspect a piece of gravel in the chassis somewhere, although I guess if it's only happening with the A/C on your drain theory is probably accurate.
I'll see what I can do about the drain plug. It seems to be working though, it drips a ton after a long drive in the florida heat with the ac on.

Were the drain holes a recall item or do all cars have them?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlow View Post
I'll see what I can do about the drain plug. It seems to be working though, it drips a ton after a long drive in the florida heat with the ac on.

Were the drain holes a recall item or do all cars have them?
They were a service bulletin item. If you're sure the noise only happens with the A/C on, I'm not sure how they could be the culprit - if there's water in there, it'll be in there all the time. But it's probably still a good idea to have them done anyway as you really don't want to deal with replacing the blower motor controller/resistors if they get wet.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri3d View Post
They were a service bulletin item. If you're sure the noise only happens with the A/C on, I'm not sure how they could be the culprit - if there's water in there, it'll be in there all the time. But it's probably still a good idea to have them done anyway as you really don't want to deal with replacing the blower motor controller/resistors if they get wet.
Yeah, it's only when the AC is on.

Another interesting note, the noise is louder on higher ac settings. You can hear it at 1, but its louder at 3.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

One more note. The noise immediately goes away when I turn the AC off.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 11:11 AM
Arch. Project Manager

Maybe you have leaves in your blower box??? The factory seal can be horrible. Mine was just awful and doing no good, so I had to redo the seal when the service bulletin was being done.

"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 12:12 PM

I had this problem but it turned out to be birdseed that a mouse or something stored up there during the winter months when the car was in storage. When I takes turns now little seeds hit my shins.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yersinia08 View Post
I had this problem but it turned out to be birdseed that a mouse or something stored up there during the winter months when the car was in storage. When I takes turns now little seeds hit my shins.
Your problem was dependant on whether or not the AC was on?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 04:25 PM

Sorry I didn't clarify. Happens all the time.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 05:26 PM

Garage
I had about 100 empty nuts in my dash on my last Elise. Found them doing the switch pack replacement.

David Avery
06 Lotus Exige | 08 BMW M3 Cab
visit focusedE
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 06:11 PM
BANNED

Mine only happens when my blower motor is on. Doesn't matter if I have the AC on or off. As long as its blowing out air, I get the noise.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 06:28 PM
Tire abuser

Garage
Possibly a trunk shaman.

'06 Arctic Silver Elise | Touring |Traction Control |Supercharged | ST exhaust | Nitron singles | BWR anti-sway bar | RTD brace | V2 Arms | SS brake lines | Harness bar and Schroth harnesses | sys.6.pack |shifter reinforced | Ultralite lines | cup air box | Sport inserts | DBW Pedals | TALLrails | Team Dynamics 1.2's | TOC Oil Pan | ProRad | FW Torque tune | BOE surge tank and catch can | Radium Clam Kit
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughn View Post
Mine only happens when my blower motor is on. Doesn't matter if I have the AC on or off. As long as its blowing out air, I get the noise.
I haven't tested this. I suspect it's the same for me but I'll try tomorrow.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 07:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I haven't tested this. I suspect it's the same for me but I'll try tomorrow.
Yea just turn the AC part off but the blower fan still on.. it'll still happen.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 07:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
When my AC is on and I make a right turn, a rainstick-like sound comes from under the dash. Googling the problem brings up a lot of similar issues with other cars, but nothing for the elise.

According to these guys on the Yaris forum (Air Conditioner Noise & Leak? - Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site), the issue is a plugged drain tube.

How would I access this tube on the elise?

Has anyone else experienced this and been able to fix it?
Any updates?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughn View Post
Any updates?
Nope. Haven't tried anything yet.

It's not a huge priority for me either, so no major push to get it done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > A/C, Heating and Ventilation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in