2005 Elise Only blows hot air, HVAC Flapper not moving the full range - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By EliseInAK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

2005 Elise Only blows hot air, HVAC Flapper not moving the full range

Morning all!

I hoping someone might have some ideas for me to try. A couple weeks ago I fixed the blower motor resistor. Got it all back together and everything seemed fine. Took it on a long road trip last weekend and noticed that it would only blow hot air regardless of the temperature setting.

Pulled the clam back off this morning and I am noticing that I'm not getting the full range of motion from the flapper. Moves all the way to one side on the hot setting but when I turn it to the cold setting it was only moving about halfway. I was able to "assist" it with some firm pressure all the way to the other side. When I turn it to the hot setting, it moves all the way back. Turn it back to the cold setting and again, not all the way to the other side. After a couple times of "assisting" it back it seems to be going a bit more to the cold side but still not all the way. I could be just misrembering how far it was on the cold side initially though. When I pushed it to the cold side I didn't feel like it was hanging up on anything.

It would be nice not to have to break open the cooling system and AC to fix this so I thought I would try here before I go down that road.

So does anybody have an idea to try? Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

This post had some views but no replies so I'm guessing no one had any ideas. Just to provide closure, I ended up pulling the HVAC box again and the culprit became obvious. The motor that controls the temperature selector flap is connected to the flap via a geared belt. So picture two geared wheels with a belt connecting them, similar to a bicycle chain. These wheels and belt are uncovered and a small rock/piece of asphalt had gotten down in there. The rock was binding up the system so it couldn't function properly. Removed the rock and back to full range of motion.
shay2nak and TachItUp like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 12:22 PM

Garage
hey, my hvac also doesnt work and i have been manually moving the flap to hot or cold. I will test to see if mine moves at all from the knob, but do you have any pictures that shows where the geared belt is? I would like to check my belt to see if anything is jamming it up as well.

Lotus Elise '05 Graphite Grey; Miles: 41,xxx

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures, but I will try and describe it. I looked for another way but I ended up having to take the HVAC box out. This involves, removing the clam and opening the AC and coolant lines. The geared belt is located on the front of that HVAC box.I would follow the blower motor resistor instructions to get it out. Let me know if you've got any more questions.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 10:20 AM

Garage
oh Yikes, looks like I'll have to figure out a work around or something

Lotus Elise '05 Graphite Grey; Miles: 41,xxx
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 05:14 PM

I am having the same problem, could you please tell me where the location of the heater control box is in order manually move the flap to the cold position. I'm hoping it does not involve removing the clam to move the flap.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTRacer98 View Post
I am having the same problem, could you please tell me where the location of the heater control box is in order manually move the flap to the cold position. I'm hoping it does not involve removing the clam to move the flap.
Remove the passenger side access panel and grill pull out the corrugated tube that runs from the HVAC box to the cabin. That will expose the flap that needs to move. There are a number of things that can be happening though - rock in the belt, loose connector at the motor (happened to me once), loose wire in the cockpit, or air in the heater core - so I'd look into the "why".

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 05:25 AM

Just as a side note, when there is a lot of traffic, posts get lost quickly, I did not see this and it is a subject I am interested in

Basically it appears all the heater servos run the same way. They get power and ground whenever the ignition is on, and the third wire is 0-12 volts. One could test it by connecting power and ground and giving power to the third pin[don't have the wiring diagram open in front of me] If it moves, when connecting disconnecting the third pin, the servo is good, back track to controls[heater pot etc]

The heater only boxes have the belt, I don't think the ac boxes do.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
Just as a side note, when there is a lot of traffic, posts get lost quickly, I did not see this and it is a subject I am interested in

Basically it appears all the heater servos run the same way. They get power and ground whenever the ignition is on, and the third wire is 0-12 volts. One could test it by connecting power and ground and giving power to the third pin[don't have the wiring diagram open in front of me] If it moves, when connecting disconnecting the third pin, the servo is good, back track to controls[heater pot etc]

The heater only boxes have the belt, I don't think the ac boxes do.
My combo box had the toothed belt

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 07:08 AM

Thank you for the response, I do get some variance in temperature so it is getting a single, it's just that the flapper is not moving the full range. I will look into this and give an update.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 08:31 AM

I've had both of my actuators (the flapper here and the one that controls head/feet/defrost) lose their full range of motion. They are cheap enough on RockAuto that I swapped them out rather than figure out to get the to rehome. My guess is corrosion on the position sensor. I did the heater one when I did the resistor fix though since it was easy.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 11:33 AM

must be a year thing then, or maybe I have it backwards, anyway, one has a belt and one doesn't
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 07:43 AM

Great news, I opened up the duct work and manually helped the flapper door move past the place it was stuck, now it moves freely the full range from hot to cold. I tested it over and over and it is working perfectly!
Thanks for the help.
Mike
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 11:10 AM
99 Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRoSL View Post
hey, my hvac also doesnt work and i have been manually moving the flap to hot or cold. I will test to see if mine moves at all from the knob, but do you have any pictures that shows where the geared belt is? I would like to check my belt to see if anything is jamming it up as well.
I was bored...

Name:  BY00108%20main.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  80.5 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > A/C, Heating and Ventilation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in