AC blowing warm air - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:21 PM

Can't wait to hear the solution. I have hot air only blowing now this week. Florida boy. Gonna be mandatory fix for me.

Question: when you drive around normally with the ac and fan off does your front vents still blow air? Mine does like the fan is on low all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 04:52 PM
glb

Yes, flow-thru ventilation.

Check SirLotus tips for improving A/C performance.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 12:58 AM

Even if you could see the compressor, nothing more rotates that you can see when it kicks in. You can hear it click or hear the engine get loaded.

2009 Elise S,Rev 400 ,t Ferrea Valves , MWR springs,PPE headers and decat,SSC Harness bar, PenskeDA,Shaved V2 steering arms ,FF engine damper. Saikou Michi catch cans, Modded Toyota E153 gearbox ,60l Proalloy fuel tank , Aeromotive 320 fuel pump,Exedy clutch LSD , SSC ECU, CompositeWorx SP1 seats ,Varexy muffler, Haltech Elite 1500 ECU, Racepak IQ3 Street dash, Aussie-clamhinge.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxshuty View Post
Hi everyone.

It's that time of the year again where it's definitely good to have AC if you're leaving the hard top on. My car is blowing hot air at me even with the AC on it's maximum setting.

The little blue light turns on when I push it to turn the AC on, I'm not sure when that would not turn on and why, but for the sake of full disclosure of my issue that light is turning on fine. The air blows out fine also. No issues there.

I connected my AC pro and had the car running, AC on the maximum settings, and then I read the pressure on the AC pro and it was in the red zone at the maximum pressure. I then went on to watch some YouTube videos and saw one which I believe was made by AC pro and they said that if it reads in the red zone right away that the compressor is not kicking in. The solution they said was to add a bottle of AC pro to get the compressor to kick in. For some reason that just seems odd to me so I wanted to check with you guys on what I should do?

I called two shops and one shop was getting me all scheduled to look at it then he asked "What kind of car is it?" and I told him and then he said "Oh maybe you should bring that to the Lotus dealership", so I just got off the phone with that shop. The next shop which deals only with exotic cars or high-end luxury vehicles said they could do it but when I asked for a price quote he said "If it's just refilling and checking the system, probably $200-300, if it's something more or the compressor is bad then the price will go up." I really would like to avoid paying $200-300 just to get this diagnosed or refilled... so any advice on what I should do next is much appreciated!
Hey Maxshuty,
I had the same symptoms and fixed it by adding most of one can of 134 (from WalMart or Autozone). I know some A/C mavens don't approve of that, but I'm like you and loathe to pay through the nose for a little A/C charge just because it's a Lotus. Mine is a 2005, and in ten years enough leaked out to disable it. If I get a few more years service and it leaks out again, I'll do it again same the way.
By the way, that device in your video is indeed the compressor.
Good luck,
Ray
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin orange View Post
If the gauge is showing in the RED zone, then the compressor is NOT kicking on. That does NOT mean you are low on Freon, just that the compressor is not kicking on. Start there (fuse, a/c button (does it go green at dash?).

That's your starting point. If you are low on Freon, and the AC does not kick on you should not be in the RED zone.
I do agree that I should start with the fuses and that because it's in the red zone it doesn't mean that it's only low - it could also be high, or something else. It does turn blue on the dash when I turn it on. However from reading about the compressor it will not turn on if the refrigerant is too low or too high, so it could be either of those - or something else all together (fuses, etc.) I guess I will need to check the fuses and see that those are good and go from there. Not sure why but for some reason I didn't think to do that yet

2007 X-Charged Mustang - Performance White
2007 Exige S - Phantom Black
2015 Tesla Model S 90D - Midnight Grey
2005 Elise - Saffron Yellow
2013 Range Rover Evoque - Black Pack
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 09:00 AM

There is a pressure sensor called a Trinary switch that could be bad.

Thermostat could be bad.

Compressor could be bad.

A/C control relay could be bad.

About a dozen more links that if any aren't working could cause your compressor not to kick in. It's the rabbit hole. There's no simple solution. If there was I wouldn't have a 2007 Elise in my garage without working A/C for 2 years and counting.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

If all else fails I do have one solution:

O2 Cool Deluxe Water Misting Fan - The Warming Store

:P

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 10:45 AM
glb

Tell mechanics it's a Toyota a/c system. Close enough for better pricing.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Update: I took it to the shop yesterday. The technician evacuated and refilled the refrigerant. He said he was able to pull out around 0.3kg of refrigerant and he refilled it with 0.55kg of refrigerant which is what our manual calls for. So the car was low on refrigerant which could have caused the compressor to not kick in. Unfortunately this did not seem to fix the issue.

I took a video of the car yesterday and provided some additional details, it's only a little over a minute long. I would really appreciate it if you guys could watch and see if you notice anything unusual. At roughly 30 seconds in the video you can see when I toggle the A/C button off and then back on - the RPM's go up a little bit. What is this a sign of does this mean the compressor is kicking in? Also you can notice that the "recycle" button (not sure what that buttons official name is, the other black button to the right of the A/C button) does not turn on at all. Not sure what that could be a sign of?

I checked the fuses but I think I will recheck them again to make sure I didn't miss something. If it's not a fuse (hopefully it is and I just missed it), then what steps should I take next since the refrigerant should be at the right levels now?

Video:

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 12:26 PM
Sold my Exige S

There are two fuses you need to check. The first and easiest is in the front fuse box labeled F19. The second fuse is C4 located under the dash in front of the climate control dials and is a huge PITA to access.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > A/C, Heating and Ventilation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in