AC Compressor Not Turning On - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 05:52 AM

Similiar issue

Had a similar issue with my AC when I changed engines from NA to Supercharge with X-2 EFI. After about 6 weeks of trouble shooting and by passing switches and relays I finally found the issue for me. I could get the compressor to turn on and blow cold using by-pass methods but not with the switch. Turned out it was the two wire connector from the compressor to the ECU. I could disconnect it and use a by-pass and it worked but when I plugged it back in, nothing. Turned out that the male side pin would not engage the female side (sound familiar) when connected. It just pushed back into the connector rather then connect. I understand the thought about pushing into the river. After I got that fixed the hard line in the sill developed a leak. See my trails and tribulation in the forum under hard line sill replacement.

"It always seems to be something!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:17 AM

I got the ac clutch working! It was a stupid solution... I looked at the fuses in the passenger wheel well and compared it to the shop manual... One fuse was missing (the ac compressor one, 10a) and there was a 7.5a fuse for lights when it was supposed to be 15a. Ugh! See before, manual, and after pics. The one with the bright blue fuse and all 5 fuses is how it's supposed to be.

-Paul

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:23 AM

I only had about ten minutes to run the car before I had to leave for work to check the ac. It blew cool but that was probably because the car was cold and the sun had not risen yet. Not cold so I don't think it's working correctly still. Dealer who sold me the car said he recharged the system before it was shipped, and the pressure held. I consulted with him this morning and he said it prob was low on refrigerant because apparently one is supposed to charge the system with the compressor on and it wasn't turning on when he did. Apparently this means not enough refrigerant is in the system and I need to do another charge. Is this line of thinking correct?

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:34 AM

What a knuckehead, you cannot fill it without the compressor running.
HOnestly I would take it to a place with a proper machine to recover and replace the refrigerant
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:32 AM

Yes the A/C needs to be on and set to max while filling. Also, you'll never get it properly filled using an over-the-counter A/C refrigerant kit. You have to have a professional fill it with a machine that puts in the correct volume of refrigerant. I went through all of this myself.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:15 PM

Went to my AC guy (he did my last two cars) and he couldn't tackle it due to no wheel key to remove the rear passenger tire and tire liner. Been waiting for that wheel lock key to arrive from the dealer who sold me the car for a little over a week. Maybe it will arrive on Monday. He quoted me $250 to do the job. That about right? My STI was $210 because he found a leak and replaced an o-ring. He better not find one in this car, I can only imagine how much he will want to charge to chase down leak in an Elise! .

post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:23 AM

On my Exige I go in through the side vent
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:56 AM

Looks like the manual calls for a 7.5 not a 10 fuse for the AC Compresser?

post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
On my Exige I go in through the side vent
My hands won't fit through the vents grills. Do you not have the grills on the exige? Wonder if I can remove the grills somehow...

post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus72Eur View Post
Looks like the manual calls for a 7.5 not a 10 fuse for the AC Compresser?
Yes, you're correct. For some reason I was thinking a 10a was supposed to go there. Realized my mistake yesterday when I showed a friend the pics. Will swap em today.

post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 02:13 PM

Before I installed the clam hinge, I would fish the hoses through the side vent and attached them by reaching down through the engine cover opening. You just have to hold your tongue in the right position!
DeafPaul likes this.

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafPaul View Post
My hands won't fit through the vents grills. Do you not have the grills on the exige? Wonder if I can remove the grills somehow...

I guess i assumed the grill will come off like the air scoops do on the Exige
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 09:39 AM

Thumbs up Solved in my case

Dears

I have the same issue with my Elise SC 09 and did all the diagnosis:-
1- Checked the fuse boxes in the front and in the passenger side.
2- Check the AC compressor cable and there is electricity reaching to the AC compressor once turning on the AC, it goes a little higher in the RPM but the Clutch won't kick in.
3- Checked the hoses and pipes if there is leak with professional help and they have used machine to test out the pipes and it passed but still the clutch won't kick in.
4- Passenger side relay is connected but I didn't disconnect.

Solution

disconnected the relay which is next to the the fuse box, once I disconnect it and clean the panel for a little bit just to test out and connect it again and it worked!!

it took me 7 hours but it worth it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > A/C, Heating and Ventilation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in