AC Coolant Line Insulation - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

AC Coolant Line Insulation

Hi guys,

The front clam is off of my Exige.

I see there is rubber insulation (looks like factory OEM stuff) on several AC lines.

Are there pros/cons to putting more rubber insulation tubes on the other
exposed AC lines (see photo)?

Thanks for your input.

Henry
'07 Exige S
Attached Images

Henry
'05 Elise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:18 AM

There is probably a small benefit to covering the line from the condenser to the evaporator, the other line from the compressor discharge to the condenser is a hot line so no.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

@kfennell - so the line that bends along the top of the rad gets covered?

Thanks,
Henry

Henry
'05 Elise

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 12:06 PM

Sure, if you wanted, I don't think they are from the factory though. I dont think mine was. To make the AC colder make sure the vent from the HVAC box to the car is well insulated and on well, consider a heater bypass, open up the footwell vents, and consider interior insulation and tinting.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:19 PM

Garage
You want to reject heat through the condenser system. The vast majority of that heat rejection happens in the condenser itself as air passes over its fins.

The one place I can think of that I would really want to thoroughly insulate the high side lines would be in the sills to keep the aluminum chassis from being the high side heat sink, because the people are sitting inside it.

Once the refrigerant has passed through the evaporator (and boiled, cooling the air passing through the evaporator) you want to keep the refrigerant in the LP line going to the compressor as cold as possible - that's the line that really benefits from being well insulated, because it reduces the work the compressor has to do.

The factory insulated what I would have in the picture. The two uninsulated lines are the high pressure lines entering and leaving the condenser. They're hotter than ambient and we want them as cool as possible, so no insulation is a good thing. The big insulated line is the low pressure (suction) return line coming from the evaporator down below. More insulation on that LP line surely won't hurt anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > A/C, Heating and Ventilation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in