LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   A/C, Heating and Ventilation (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f313/)
-   -   AC not working (but ac kicks on, and pressure is good)? (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f313/ac-not-working-but-ac-kicks-pressure-good-309969/)

wek120 06-16-2015 06:29 PM

AC not working (but ac kicks on, and pressure is good)?

177 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, Ive gone through all the AC threads and cant seem to find a fix for this:

Symptoms:
No Cold, heat works fine (so gate should be good right?)
compessor noticeably kicks on when switch is pressed (and blue)
pressure is fine (tried at 35,45,55, and 65)
blowers weak but still works

Really at a loss of what to do since the compressor kicks on and the pressures still good, but the bias door also works fine since the heat comes on... where else would the fail point be????:scratchhead:

cyow5 06-16-2015 06:42 PM

I'm about to go through a similar process. I did buy a IR temp gun though for $7 off amazon. I'm expecting that my refrigerant is low. I don't have any advice yet other than that, but at least misery loves company, right?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

craigyirush 06-16-2015 07:54 PM

60 Attachment(s)
I'm having trouble with my a/c too. Is it the case that if the heat works then then refrigerated air should also be getting in the cabin? And can you really hear the compressor when it comes on?

sturgeongeneral 06-16-2015 10:14 PM

Usually you can hear a "click" when the compressor engages. On some vehicles you can feel the engine "load up" when the system turns on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigyirush (Post 4145889)
And can you really hear the compressor when it comes on?

wek120 06-17-2015 03:07 AM

177 Attachment(s)
Oh yeah. Yeah I can definitely hear the click of it engaging. Its usually quite noticeable

Patiotray 06-17-2015 05:02 AM

Your temperature flap/door may be stuck on the heat side. Heat will work fine, but A/C will not. Do a search and you will find many threads on how to check this and resolve it.

LiveToDrive 06-17-2015 08:22 AM

Same issue here. Had it for 2 years and still unresolved. Lotus dealer couldn't figure it out either. Well, they fixed it once...it was a bad ground on the compressor (they said). The 2nd time they said they were going to have to pull the front clam off to inspect further and that's where we left it.

I have done everything myself to try and troubleshoot. I inspected the flap and found it's working as it should. I found the temperature probe was pressed hard into the condensor radiator so I pulled it back a little..no change. I even changed out the AC control relay, but it didn't help.

My suspicion is the compressor is bad. I think it kicks on because there is a noticeable drop in engine idle when the AC button is pushed, but this might not be a good method to verify the clutch is in fact engaging. Most modern cars automatically adjust idle when the AC button is pushed regardless if the compressor is working or not. My next step was to have someone put their head next to the compressor and listen closely to hear it engage.

Either way, I am literally out of options right now and it seems the ONLY thing I haven't tried is swapping in a new, ridiculously overpriced, compressor. I'm thinking of using a similar Toyota unit (with the slightly larger pulley) to save a little coin. I hear it works just was well.

My fear is that the problem will still exist and that I'll end up having to spend $2000 at the dealership anyways.

F**K this problem seriously.

craigyirush 06-17-2015 08:56 AM

60 Attachment(s)
My car is currently at the Lotus dealer in San Diego (who sold me the car) having the A/C fixed. They are certain that it's not the compressor, and are trying to figure out why there's no cold air at the dash.

Will post re this when/if they figure it out.

craigyirush 06-17-2015 08:58 AM

60 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveToDrive (Post 4146801)
Same issue here. Had it for 2 years and still unresolved. Lotus dealer couldn't figure it out either. Well, they fixed it once...it was a bad ground on the compressor (they said). The 2nd time they said they were going to have to pull the front clam off to inspect further and that's where we left it.

I have done everything myself to try and troubleshoot. I inspected the flap and found it's working as it should. I found the temperature probe was pressed hard into the condensor radiator so I pulled it back a little..no change. I even changed out the AC control relay, but it didn't help.

My suspicion is the compressor is bad. I think it kicks on because there is a noticeable drop in engine idle when the AC button is pushed, but this might not be a good method to verify the clutch is in fact engaging. Most modern cars automatically adjust idle when the AC button is pushed regardless if the compressor is working or not. My next step was to have someone put their head next to the compressor and listen closely to hear it engage.

Either way, I am literally out of options right now and it seems the ONLY thing I haven't tried is swapping in a new, ridiculously overpriced, compressor. I'm thinking of using a similar Toyota unit (with the slightly larger pulley) to save a little coin. I hear it works just was well.

My fear is that the problem will still exist and that I'll end up having to spend $2000 at the dealership anyways.

F**K this problem seriously.

The tech at the West Covina Latus dealer told me the Toyota compressor is exactly the same and about a 1/3 the price ($400) of the Lotus one.

How did you check that the flap was working without taking the clam off?

LiveToDrive 06-17-2015 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigyirush (Post 4147001)
The tech at the West Covina Latus dealer told me the Toyota compressor is exactly the same and about a 1/3 the price ($400) of the Lotus one.

How did you check that the flap was working without taking the clam off?

You have to remove the 2 top grills, then disconnect the big rubber duct and push it to the side. Shine a flashlight down the hole and have someone switch the climate control from cold to hot and vice versa. You'll see the flap move back and forth. If it doesn't, then your flap is either stuck or something more serious.

surferpkt 06-17-2015 09:29 AM

If you park under trees your box could be full of leaves which can also lead to condensation buildup and frying your resistor packs. The only other thing I've ran into is the core icing over which will also block air flow. On an '05 you can fix that by repositioning the sensor closer to the core. I put mine at about 1/16 of an inch off the core vs the 1/4"(maybe only 1/8" if honest) from factory. Solved my issues with the icing over and haven't had an issue since.

Since yours isn't cold from the get go it sounds as if the flap is hung up or stuck. Is the air flow restricted or warm @wek120 ? If airflow is also restricted I'd check for something blocking the flow to the core ergo the flap not opening or debris. The boxes are not always sealed well from the factory letting in who knows what to clog it up.

wek120 06-17-2015 03:40 PM

177 Attachment(s)
The airflow is generally crappy but Im assuming its because the air is generally crappy anyways.
The air gets progressively warmer from neutral to hot, so unless the ac is stuck halfway it wouldnt make much since for it to be the flap.

Its not icing over because its just generally never cold. Id say it drops maybe 5 degrees tops.

Checked the pressure and its about 80psi neutral, then 45 psi when running, so its clearly compressing.

I dont get it, theres only so many places it could go wrong, yet all are fine....?
Theres:
Compressor itself
Activation of the compressor
Freon level
cooler and ducting

so if all are fine then it should work X(

surferpkt 06-17-2015 03:49 PM

Check that the flap is operating as intended. When switched over to A/C you shouldn't have any bleed over from the heater core witch is always on.

wek120 06-17-2015 06:48 PM

177 Attachment(s)
Just checked it working fine.

Think the compressor just died because now its not dropping down and the engine is revving up.
gona start a new thread bout the pump

LiveToDrive 06-18-2015 08:52 AM

Subscribed