AC question - where to buy O rings - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

AC question - where to buy O rings

Was everyone smarter than me and ordered their o-rings ahead of time online?

Getting ready to charge the AC system this weekend and can't find a few of the o-rings anywhere local. Napa has a few but couldn't even order me a 7.5mm o-ring. Guy pulls out a huge catalog and the closest thing he could find was 7mm. He's trying to convince me that stretching it .5 mm is fine and I'm not buying it. A few of the one's they sell are within .1 or .2 mm which seems ok but I'm still short the 17 and 7.5mm and can't seem to find them anywhere?

Where did you guys get yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavster View Post
Was everyone smarter than me and ordered their o-rings ahead of time online?

Getting ready to charge the AC system this weekend and can't find a few of the o-rings anywhere local. Napa has a few but couldn't even order me a 7.5mm o-ring. Guy pulls out a huge catalog and the closest thing he could find was 7mm. He's trying to convince me that stretching it .5 mm is fine and I'm not buying it. A few of the one's they sell are within .1 or .2 mm which seems ok but I'm still short the 17 and 7.5mm and can't seem to find them anywhere?

Where did you guys get yours?
Two questions:

Where does it go ?
What is the other dimension ?

How do you know your used o-ring is not distorted ? (third question)

196? Seven - long gone
2005 Storm Titanium Elise - sold
2008 blue 2-Eleven - track toy
2011 Carbon Grey Evora S
1959 Ford Anglia project
2008 white 2-Eleven - track toy too/two
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 10:29 PM

i got mine from a Car Quest. Some NAPAs and Autozone's have a kit in the back to match up. Also, check out Harbor freight if there's one nearby.

I'll try to find the part number tomorrow..i wrote it down somewhere.

2011 Mini Cooper S - ardent red body/monaco white roof
2006 Lotus Exige, Aspen White:
date purchased - March 2012
date married - Sept 15,2013
date wife found out about Lotus - Sept 14,2014
date wife sat in Lotus - Sept 2015

Mods:
'07+ MP62 Supercharger retrofit w/VF S2 tune + RLS IC/Tubes,Walbro 255 fuel pump,Stage 2 exhaust, '07 body,Odyssey battery,Gauge cluster refresh
Chuck Risen's audio/interior system + fully integrated British voice "Kate" giving the GPS directions

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 03:02 AM

http://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?...SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by azac View Post
Two questions:

Where does it go ?
What is the other dimension ?

How do you know your used o-ring is not distorted ? (third question)
Well thats 3 questions

The 7.5s are for the drier, the smaller line into the expansion valve, and the condenser outlet
The 17 mm is for the larger expansion valve line and the bulkhead lines

I have to answer your third question with the same question back. How do you know if theyre deformed without something to compare them to?
My car is an 05 so theyve probably lost a little of their suppleness and distorted some. Im sure I overtorqued a few of the nuts a bit before I found the correct specs as well. But all of my torque wrenches are ratchet type anyway and you need an open-end on all of those fittings. I can use a crows-foot on a few I have the sizes for and get close, but the bulkhead fittings are pure seat of the pants.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niral_Xige06 View Post
i got mine from a Car Quest. Some NAPAs and Autozone's have a kit in the back to match up. Also, check out Harbor freight if there's one nearby.

I'll try to find the part number tomorrow..i wrote it down somewhere.
Thanks. I bought the NAPA kit but it doesn't have anything close to the 7.5 or the 17mm. I think the same thing for the HF kit. I have the Lotus PN's from the service manual but when the NAPA guy looked them up they told him to order from Lotus Online which means I'm at least 2 weeks out from getting this wrapped up.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 06:06 AM

.5mm is a pretty small stretch . 1/50 of an inch ???
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I bought the NAPA kit but it doesn't have anything close to the 7.5 or the 17mm. I think the same thing for the HF kit. I have the Lotus PN's from the service manual but when the NAPA guy looked them up they told him to order from Lotus Online which means I'm at least 2 weeks out from getting this wrapped up.
I take it back. I actually got it from NAPA, however, it wasn't an off the shelf kit. They have an old kit from where they used to sell them individually and happened to have the one I needed.

Here is the part number for what I used (to be clear this is the o-ring that goes on to the a/c line into the condenser):

TEM 407009

NAPA AUTO PARTS

At the time I lined it up with the original one and it seemed identical.

Mods:
'07+ MP62 Supercharger retrofit w/VF S2 tune + RLS IC/Tubes,Walbro 255 fuel pump,Stage 2 exhaust, '07 body,Odyssey battery,Gauge cluster refresh
Chuck Risen's audio/interior system + fully integrated British voice "Kate" giving the GPS directions
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-C View Post
.5mm is a pretty small stretch . 1/50 of an inch ???

I know what you're saying. The NAPA guy was making the same argument. The thing is it's under pressure, a lot of pressure on the high side and I don't know the effects coz I'm no expert.

Troubleshooting AC leaks is right up there with troubleshooting random electrical problems and root-canals on my list of things not to do on the weekend. Plus ripping the clam off again is not an enticing thought, which is why I want to replace all the o rings in the first place, so I don't have to do it again.

I think AZAC does AC repair for a living, want to see what he thinks about being .5mm off.

M

Last edited by mavster; 09-19-2014 at 06:32 AM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I take it back. I actually got it from NAPA, however, it wasn't an off the shelf kit. They have an old kit from where they used to sell them individually and happened to have the one I needed.

Here is the part number for what I used (to be clear this is the o-ring that goes on to the a/c line into the condenser):

TEM 407009

NAPA AUTO PARTS

This is helpful, thanks. NAPA gave me a couple of part numbers but that doesn't match so it might be a better fit. There's two different size lines to the condenser. the outlet is the 7.5mm that I can't find which is also used on the drier fittings and one of the expansion valve fittings. Is that the one you're talking about?

M
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

TEM 407009

NAPA AUTO PARTS

Just called NAPA, she said she had stock but that part comes up as .364 in ID which equates to 9.2mm which doesn't match any of the sizes on the manual. Maybe it's time to break out the calipers and pull the o-rings.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 08:25 AM

I recall stacking the old and new one on top of each other and they seemed very close. However, it would still be good to confirm. I think that's the one I'm talking about, but you'll have to double check since I'm not 100% as it was earlier in the year-maybe we are talking about 2 different locations. I also replaced the drier with one that NAPA had, if you want the part # for that too. It's not exactly in size, but plug and play for practical purposes--the stock one had to be ordered; i needed it immediately and the NAPA one cost just a few dollars less. i dont remember having to buy extra o-rings on account of replacing the drier.

An alternate would be 407006 (which I wrote on the back of the receipt), but my receipt shows I only bought 1 of TEM 407009. I remember running around to a bunch of different stores to get this (as well as the o-rings for RC550 injectors which was even harder to get).

Mods:
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

O-ring saga

Well there's some hope then and these part numbers may help. Also, I agree with you, the best thing to do is to pull them out and try to match them up physically. Wall thickness etc. can really change the shape and Lotus doesn't publish that info. I'm somewhat doubting the research skills of the NAPA associate I spoke with yesterday also. The right person can make all the difference. I did purchase the NAPA replacement drier already, but mine didn't come with o-rings so I moved the old one's over from the stock drier.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 10:16 AM

ahh.. yeah. i went to a few NAPA's as well. I notice how some of the older smaller stores can be more helpful than some of the newer megastores they have. good luck!

Mods:
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Well thats 3 questions

The 7.5s are for the drier, the smaller line into the expansion valve, and the condenser outlet
The 17 mm is for the larger expansion valve line and the bulkhead lines

I have to answer your third question with the same question back. How do you know if theyre deformed without something to compare them to?
My car is an 05 so theyve probably lost a little of their suppleness and distorted some. Im sure I overtorqued a few of the nuts a bit before I found the correct specs as well. But all of my torque wrenches are ratchet type anyway and you need an open-end on all of those fittings. I can use a crows-foot on a few I have the sizes for and get close, but the bulkhead fittings are pure seat of the pants.
The ones that I have replaced are on the drier. Those are standard #6 O-rings. We use a line called SanTech, their part number is MT0237.
Our vendor for the expansion block shows very standard #'s 6, 8, 10, 12 O-rings for the different openings. Lotus did not reinvent the wheel here.
We literally have hundreds of different part numbers for O-rings, but these are the most basic sizes.

196? Seven - long gone
2005 Storm Titanium Elise - sold
2008 blue 2-Eleven - track toy
2011 Carbon Grey Evora S
1959 Ford Anglia project
2008 white 2-Eleven - track toy too/two
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 01:12 PM

I just got them at the dealer...
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help guys. My second trip to NAPA armed with correct part numbers (thanks Niral) and a more knowledgeable clerk proved fruitful. The correct part number for the 7.5mm is (TEM) 407006. Those are pretty much dead on: 7.56mm.

The other part number for the 17mm is (TEM) 407079. And those are exact 17mm replacements as well. He had to order those from another store so I won't have them until Monday but better than 2-3 weeks with DeRoure or other web/mail order.

AZAC - thanks for the response as well. For whatever reason, those out of the industry don't seem to understand #6,#8, etc. and Lotus doesn't publish based on those sizes either.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 12:13 PM

you're welcome! glad I was finally able to help someone for a change

Mods:
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 05:41 PM

zombie thread alert

So this is a total PITA

'standard' number 6 8 10 12 do not seem to mean anything, on top of the fact that there are also metric standard numbered o rings

regular ac kits do not have the same size o rings as on the car

does anyone have the actual dimensions for the o rings that belong on the car, measuring old crushed o rings is not that accurate, and what is the name of the scale the numbers 6 8 10 and 12 come from?

It probably refers to tube diameter in 1/8s, although I am not at the car to check, but oring standards are a completely different set of numbers so a #6 would be a 0012....maybe

aggravating that the simplest thing is virtually impossible

I am not inclined to make a 2 hour trip to overpay for o rings at the dealer, then drop one under the bench somewhere, when I could have a box of them at my door in a few days.......
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 05:00 PM

The [mostly] definitive answer

I like vintage air, they make nice stuff and they do not overcharge on replacement parts

#6 oring pack of 10 p/n 331016 price list says a buck
# 8" " 331008 same
#10" " 331010 same

I bought them summit
Vintage Air Rubber O-Rings for A/C Fittings - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

use the part number I listed for 10 packs

VIntage does not use #12, so I had to break down and drive to the dealer, who does not charge much for the orings, but the drive is a pain, plus it is good to have a bunch extra for dropping, refitting yada yada

These guys will sell you a lifetime supply:

https://coldhose.com/specialty-fittings/orings.html

I have not bought from them tho

I bought the NAPA part numbers listed, and they are NOT the correct orings, the #12 in particular failed to seal.

Summit is faster shipping than Vintage themselves....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > A/C, Heating and Ventilation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in