AC question - where to buy O rings - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

O-Rings

Second time around on the Blower Fix. and now the condenser has to be repaired so I'm adding addition napa p/n's for other O-rings:
[post edited with corrected part numbers]

Suction Line Bulkhead connectors and expansion valve to suction line:
This is a 17 mm i.d. O ring. Lotus P/N A082P6081F Napa P/N TEM 407012

High press. line bulkhead connectors, condensor inlet, exp. valve to evaporator:
11 mm i.d. (#8 metric O-ring) Lotus P/N A082P6079F Napa P/N TEM 407008

High Press valve, condensor outlet, rec drier, inlet pipe to exp valve:
7.5mm i.d. Lotus P/N A082P6078F Napa P/N - TEM 407006

A/C Drier - Napa P/N TEM 208312

Last edited by mavster; 07-08-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 01:19 PM

Some of these same NAPA part numbers did not work, and are in fact not the correct id/od. While it is possible I got shipped the wrong thing, it is unlikely as it is an entire box.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

They didn't work as in you couldn't order them or they weren't the correct id/od? I just placed an order yesterday and received them today and everything is correct for me. Which one(s) did you have trouble with ?

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 11:21 AM

407079 replacement for the large #12 is not the right size.

this is not saying that you cannot get it to seal, but if you tried to wrap it with teflon tape it might seal too if you try hard enough

this part number is not correct, it is .008 in cross section larger and would not seal on my car.

the parts I listed are the correct parts, identical in diameter and cross section.

I believe I tried the #10 replacement part number and it was also not correct, but I do not have that in front of me and could be mistaken, I ended up going to the dealer and they are cheap enough, I just wanted to avoid that particular drive

Again, I have a complete NAPA box of the 407079 and they are not correct
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigeg2 View Post
407079 replacement for the large #12 is not the right size.

this is not saying that you cannot get it to seal, but if you tried to wrap it with teflon tape it might seal too if you try hard enough

this part number is not correct, it is .008 in cross section larger and would not seal on my car.

the parts I listed are the correct parts, identical in diameter and cross section.

Interesting. I looked back and saw your post noting you had trouble. So since you noted this as a standard #12 O-ring, I went back and cross referenced the napa part for a standard #12 o-ring (AC Delco 15-3615) which is a different napa part # - TEM 407012. I didn't originally source it as a standard #12 because Lotus doesn't denote it that way in the service manual, instead by id and od with no cross section, so I found an exact match for the id/od stated in the manual but could definitely have had an incorrect cross section. Though I didn't have any trouble with sealing on my last endeavor with those but could have just been lucky on that.
If it is indeed a standard #12 then 407012 is actually the correct part number. So I'm on my way back to Napa, thanks for that info, it's all making sense now.

Now that I realize they are all standard sizes I cross referenced the others - 407006 is in fact the correct part # for a standard #6 o-ring. And 407008 is the correct part # for a standard #8. So those should be good.

I did not replace anything that required a #10, so I don't have a part # for that. Maybe that came from another post.

But if you look at the pattern to the standard part numbers for Napa O-rings 407-xxx , I'd put money the #10 o-ring is part # 407010. Its too bad the guys behind the counter don't know these things.

Thanks again for the info.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 09:32 PM

Sharing a page of the service manual to help identify the o-ring size and location throughout the ac system.

Also, I went down to my local auto shop that specializes in AC to see if they had my o-rings. Sure enough they’re standard metric size o-rings, and even the color of the o-rings match. Yes I say color because the original o-rings were green, and my aftermarket replacements were also green. I guess it's an industry standard where o-rings are colored based on standard/American (black) and metric/foreign (green)??? Anyhow, my tip would be to go to your local automotive ac shop as they should have them readily available, and for a reasonable price.
Attached Images

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 04:06 AM

It is the type of rubber that determines the color

They might call them metric, but they are not metric, as you can see by the thread chart, it is all US threads, US fittigns, for whatever reason.

Be very careful using orings that 'look' right, they do no always seal as I have found out
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
It is the type of rubber that determines the color

They might call them metric, but they are not metric, as you can see by the thread chart, it is all US threads, US fittigns, for whatever reason.

Be very careful using orings that 'look' right, they do no always seal as I have found out
Thanks for the clarification. This make me feel better knowing I have the correct rubber type o-rings. I guess this is another reason why it’s good to visit an automotive shop that “specializes” in ac systems.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 03:39 PM

Garage
This is a useful thread, just wanted to say thank you!

I used post #21 (which was updated apparently) to order everything from Napa today, my local store didn't have any of it in stock but it should be here tomorrow. I'll let you all know if I have any trouble.

Also, I had to order the o-rings in 10 qty for each so if anyone needs some just let me know.

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I updated post 21 with feedback from others where I had a part number wrong initially. As far as I know they are all good now but if you have any trouble let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > A/C, Heating and Ventilation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in