AC Thermostat Kit Install - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

AC Thermostat Kit Install

We completed the install on my 06 Elise yesterday, took about 1.5 hours (including photo- documenting). The issue was my AC would blow cold air for about 20 minutes, then the air would begin to warm and decrease in flow. Shut the AC off for 10 minutes and it would blow cold again.

After reviewing previous posts in this forum, I concluded that the evaporator coils were freezing over. I checked the position of the existing probe, but it was perfectly located. I then purchased the newer digital thermostat kit from Lotus, PN A120P0149S for $120. Detail of the install:

- Remove both passenger access panels
- Unfasten fuse box, move to side
- Remove plastic air deflector panel
- (Note: Instruction say to remove wiper motor cover - we didn't find this necessary)
- Detach and remove the flexible air routing hose by gently pulling it off the heater housing and AC trunking
- (Note: Instructions now have you cut and remove the old capillary line. We preferred to locate and test fit the electrical connections first - Before hacking up the old system)
- Locate the old thermostat located at the base of the heater housing, passenger side. Disconnect the pink (or orange) cables.
- Locate and gently slide off the plastic cover over the temperature flap actuator. You may have to push aside some heater hoses to locate it at the base of the heater housing, aft side (nearest the windshield).
- Remove the old jump harness and test-fit connections to the new thermostat cables. The two pink cables plug into two white cables provided with the kit and appear to be interchangeable.
- Once your satisfied that the correct connections have been made, cut and remove the old capillary probe from the evaporator.
- Route the new probe in place of the old, apply zip ties to the probe bracket and any excess cable.
- Mount the new thermostat using the adhesive tape.
- Reassemble and test.
Attached Images

CALtd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

AC Thermostat Kit Install, Part 2

Part 2:
Attached Images

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 07:37 AM

Very informative post, thanks. I have had mine for a few years and it works flawlessly.
Cheers,
Michael

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 06:29 PM

How about in an Exige

I was really hoping to do this without removing the clam but its looking like that's not going to be an option. The instructions call for it but I saw the Viper post somewhere that it was not required. Anyone do this on their Exige yet?

2007 Exige S, Chili Red, RE-11s, Gotham Tune, 2Bular Header/130mm Cat, 2Bular Hammer Head Muffler, Airbox Mod, K&N Filter, Cobra Antenna Mod, Shifter Reinforcement Mod, Multivex Mirrors, Visor Delete... High Performance Ultralight Wallet
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 05:17 AM

Bump for HELP!!!

Anyone out there with an Exige?

2007 Exige S, Chili Red, RE-11s, Gotham Tune, 2Bular Header/130mm Cat, 2Bular Hammer Head Muffler, Airbox Mod, K&N Filter, Cobra Antenna Mod, Shifter Reinforcement Mod, Multivex Mirrors, Visor Delete... High Performance Ultralight Wallet
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 05:49 AM

The Kit is the same for the Elise / Exige, instructions say remove clam for both. Go for it! I cant imagine the Exige being any different in the Hvac area or access to it.

LZ LoLo survivor
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407Driver View Post
The Kit is the same for the Elise / Exige, instructions say remove clam for both. Go for it! I cant imagine the Exige being any different in the Hvac area or access to it.
You do have to remove the hood vents, and I don't know how that is accomplished on an Exige.
Michael
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 09:36 AM

Does anyone know what you are supposed to do with the aluminum plate and rivets that come in the kit? The instructions make no mention of them.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 06:56 PM

My A/C does the exact same thing. Blows fine for a while but then the air flow decreses significantly. I was thinking about going and getting the refrigerant level checked. Its only going to be hot for like another month (hopefully) so this may go on the back burner. If its like 90 or below the A/C seems to do fine. And if its 80 or below I just dont even use it, unless to keep moisture off the windsheild.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 04:17 AM

The air flow decreases and the temperature increases because the evaporator coil is freezing.
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westrock View Post
My A/C does the exact same thing. Blows fine for a while but then the air flow decreses significantly. I was thinking about going and getting the refrigerant level checked. Its only going to be hot for like another month (hopefully) so this may go on the back burner. If its like 90 or below the A/C seems to do fine. And if its 80 or below I just dont even use it, unless to keep moisture off the windsheild.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 06:51 AM

The DIY steps posted by Hocuslotus above seems like WITHOUT taking off the clam, wasn't it?
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 07:17 AM

sure looks that way to me...

also I'm confused as to what the digital thermostat actually does to keep the coils from freezing over?
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 07:58 AM

It provides greater accuracy with a quicker response time.
Michael
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:49 AM

can anyone confirm if this job need to take off the clam?
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dori_dori View Post
can anyone confirm if this job need to take off the clam?
Definitely not on an Elise.
Michael
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 06:52 PM

Almost complete with this mod. Must have for anyone with a - 07 Elise or Exige!!!
A/C already feels better

http://www.youtube.com/jerusdc
BOE TVS
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Ticket Magnet

So Shawn, are you saying this actually improves a normally operating Elige A/C?
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 06:59 PM

Mine would cool nicely for around 15 minutes then gradually get warmer and warmer. Didn't always do that. I did notice my old thermostat was in rough shape.
This is supposed to stop the AC from freezing up. Ill do a nice long distance test when I get the car back together.

I am doing most of these mods.
Improved Ac

Special thanks to SirLotus and HocusLotus!
Attached Images

http://www.youtube.com/jerusdc
BOE TVS

Last edited by Shawn C; 07-19-2012 at 07:06 PM.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 PM

I made this upgrade to my '06 Exige after living with lame A/C for six years because of frequent freezing up in really warm weather. The upgrade was worthwhile. My test drive consisted of a 630 mile one day round trip from SoCal to NorCal including driving Highway 395 for several hours through 105 degree temperatures.

The good news is that the A/C now works much better...big improvement in consistency of air cooling. Freezing up is no longer an issue, and there is just a steady stream of nice cool air. In more moderate temperatures (70s to low 80s), I can now leave the fan speed on 1 or 2 and don't have to turn the temperature dial all the way to max-cold...two to four clicks short of max-cold keeps me comfortable.

The bad news is that doing the upgrade takes time to just gain access to do the A/C upgrade. Exige front clam removal is actually a very straight forward and relatively easy process; it is just tedious and takes time.

Additional A/C related mods made to my car include sealing up the fresh air inlets (did it while the clam was off for the A/C thermostat upgrade), removal of footwell panels for better air recirculation, 4 inch tall heavy tint banner across top of the windshield, and the A/C inlet hose is fully wrapped in heat shielding insulation (redid it properly while the clam was off for the A/C thermostat upgrade). I may add 3M Cristaline tint to the side windows (did it to my Fiat 500's windows, sunroof and added a windshield banner, which reduced cabin temps by up to 25 degrees depending on sun intensity).

As Shawn C said, thanks to SirLotus for the R&D work and HocusLotus for the upgrade posting.

2006 Exige - Phantom Black

Last edited by Lotusmotion; 07-19-2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Details...details
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 03:01 AM

Sounds like I better order a kit, even if I don't put it in right away.
Taking off the clam is not difficult but it's a PIA. I'll wait til I must remove it to put the kit in.
Thanks much for the great write up.
Sam

'06 ELISE now with hidden talent and dual cigarette lighter sockets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > A/C, Heating and Ventilation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in